Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 1.4 D-4D Losing Power On Motorway

Sarahnya

I've just part exchanged my 04 Honda Civic for a 06 Yaris. On the drive home from the garange (Manchester to Barnsley) the car lost power whilst I was overtaking, there was just no power when I put my foot to the floor and the car gradually slowed down and I had to pull over. I spoke to the guy who owned the garage and he said he is willing to exchange the car back if it turns out to be a serious problem but the car belonged to his Mrs and he says it never did that before. My problem is, will this be a simple diagnosis, if its an inexpensive fixx I'd rather get the car sorted than take it back but if it's an injector or pump I will return it.

Oh forgot to add, after I parked up and restarted the car it drove perfectly on the way home which was an hour, very odd!

It is possible the fuel filter is almost fully blocked and at motorway speeds it just runs out of fuel..

But a new filter is £15 ... and thereafter you get complicated.

I would ask for my money back as there could be all sorts of other faults..

• Like 1

did any warning lights come on, what's the mileage of the car.

Could be blocked EGR valve.

maf sensor,

fuel filter

scv valves

I personally would get the person who sold you the car to fix it. did he supply any warranty?

• Like 1

It is possible the fuel filter is almost fully blocked and at motorway speeds it just runs out of fuel..

I agree totally with the above.

Regards Geoff Peace.

did any warning lights come on, what's the mileage of the car.

Could be blocked EGR valve.

maf sensor,

fuel filter

scv valves

I personally would get the person who sold you the car to fix it. did he supply any warranty?

No I didn't get a warranty sadly but he did agree to take it back, however I've filled the tank and put some fuel cleaner in today and did around 200 miles with no problems whatsoever. I'm going to service it and give it a week to see if it does it again, if not I'll keep it. It's a 2006 plate with 129k on the clock. I really do prefer the Yaris to the 2004 civic that I traded it for to be honest and don't want to give it up unless it's a serious fault :)

I'm really hoping that this is the cause or something like a blocked EGR valve, no warning lights came on and I've had a diagnostic today which turned up nothing. It was nearly empty when I had the fault so perhaps that and a blocked fuel filter/sludge at the bottom of the tank caused the problem, it's been perfect today.

Well, I had the full service today and it feels a hell of a lot better to drive but unfortunately the problem persists despite him having cleaned the EGR valve and MAF, in fact it's more frequent. The tech said that he had taken it out for a drive and although he didn't get the powerloss on the motorway he said he experienced a slight lack of power when pulling away at a junction after having come off the duel carridgeway. I had the powerloss again on the motorway this evening when I took it out for a drive. He suggested me blocking off the EGR as this should eliminate the fault if it is indeed the cause of it, does this sound about right? If it isn't the EGR, what else could it be ?

You seem to have an unusual fault you could put a blank on the egr pipe to see if the fault stops.

When you start the car do you get the orange engine management light coming on then off? only asking in case the bulb has been pulled to hide a pre existing fault.

• Like 1

You seem to have an unusual fault you could put a blank on the egr pipe to see if the fault stops.

When you start the car do you get the orange engine management light coming on then off? only asking in case the bulb has been pulled to hide a pre existing fault.

No I don't have any fault lights on and I've had it run through 2 electrical diagnosis test which turned up no fault codes so I'm at a loss :(

You should careffully check ALL rubber piping for cracks ,, splits and loose connections.

Try with the engine idling.

If in doubt, a talcum puffer spray should enable you to see air movement. near a split. Check especially round the rear of pipes.

The fact you have no warning lights suggest it may be that..

or you may have a partially collapsed silencer of blocked catalyst.. (which sounds a real possibility)...

• 2 weeks later...

Well it does appear to have been the EGR valve that was causing the problem, on having it blanked off it drives perfect so I'll just get a new unit put in on my own time (or not at all lol).

• 1 year later...

Hey,

Just wondering what happened with your car; did fixing the EGR valve sort the problem for you for the long run? I am having the exact same issue and have taken it to the mechanic, autoelectrician three times, and to the Toyota dealer three times but nobody can figure out how to fix it because it is not throwing any DTCs. It is getting very dangerous when it sporadically stops accelerating.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Yaris 1.4D losing power see below link. My 2013 10 month old Yaris has just been fixed at the dealership due to this. Been told to follow these instructions to self manage/fix. Any future issues re the DPF will cost 1500 to fix!

Yaris 1.4D losing power see below link. My 2013 10 month old Yaris has just been fixed at the dealership due to this. Been told to follow these instructions to self manage/fix. Any future issues re the DPF will cost 1500 to fix!

The original post concerned a 2003 Yaris diesel which is not fitted with a diesel particulate filter, these were only fitted from late 2010 onwards on the 1.4 diesel.

Yes, it's still running fine to this day. It was definitely the EGR valve :)

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hello from me too..Petros from GREECE..i have read about your problem and i face exactly the same one for almost 2 years now (the occurence period differs..)...

I 've tried many things with uselles costs..noone knows how to deal with it.. but no with EGR..have you experienced any problems since the change of EGR? (installed a NEW one or just blanked it off??)..looking forward for your reply since i am almost desperate and dissapointed with this problem..

thanks in advance..

Mine was fine after I got the fuel filter replaced; a bit of a pain that it took so long for something so simple!

I change fuel filter every year (no matter how many km), fuel tank cleaned, Battery NEW, i ve changed AFM, i have repaired all 4 fuel injectors.....fuel pump cleaned, almost all pumps cleaned, every month fuel cleaner in the tank.. but it still makes the same problem with some months time between occurences.

i hope it was just the filter for you my friend..but if you had the similar problems it seems difficult to solve it by replacing just the filter.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem on Toyota Yaris 1.4 D4-D. In Toyota service could not solve the problem.

Any ideas what to try ?

• 3 weeks later...

I had the engine cut out in the motorway this week. The engine light came on and i sxanned the ECU and P1229 was stored. Dealer confirmed the fault and was happy to replace the fuel filter and ECU software was updated to the latest version which addresses the known SCV issue.

You should try and ask them to check if your software is the latest.

• 1 month later...

I have had the same symptoms for ages. I guess I will try the EGR valve too.

It's worth getting the code to check.

My brother recently had this and it turned out it was the accelerator pedal thingy. We took it out and gave the contacts and the innards a spray of contact cleaner and it's been fine since so far... :unsure: