Do Not Sell My Personal Information

P1345 Error Code

nicholas2003

Hello,

I have a 2003 Yaris T3 1.0 litre that I have been repairing (engine 1SZ-FE).

The correct error code that I am reading is P1345 – to best of my research is regarding the camshaft position sensor/wiring/ECM.

Before this error code appeared I did some other work on the car. The car occasionally stalled either whilst driving, or repeatedly when starting up. Also within the engine, there was a bad noise coming from the timing chain area.

I removed the camshaft head and inspected the timing chain with looked slack. Also noticed the teeth on the sprockets are warn in. removed the timing chain cover and oil sump to replace the timing chain, all the sprockets (including the VVT) and tensioner. As well as replacing the oil filter and oil.

Reassembled and the engine made much less noise and performance increased. But the engine would still cut out. The car runs around 580/600 revs when warm and idling. Which seemed low to me, I think I read it should be between 630-750. I started to inspect the idle air system. I took off the air filter system and had the car idling and I sprayed some carburettor cleaner into the idle air Intake. When running the car next the engine didn’t stall. So I took apart the carburettor and cleaned everywhere inside (it wasn’t that dirty) but now it never stalls but still runs about 580/600 revs.

The first time the P1345 error code appeared was now (also this is the only time when the car has ever had an error code). It only appears when the engine coolant temperature reaches +70°, after about 5/10 minutes of driving. I can clear the code and 5/10mins later it appears. I also checked and cleaned the VVT filter, no success.

I tried testing the wiring with my multi-meter but I didn’t really understand what I was doing. I just swapped out the camshaft position sensor for a new version. Engine code still appears.

So currently, timing chain parts and camshaft position sensor and oil filter replaced. carburettor and VVT filter cleaned. Engine code P1345 still keeps appearing. I’m pretty much at a dead end.

Apart from the error code and the revs being a little low, the car runs brilliantly.

Anyone been down this road before?

Many thanks,

Nicholas

Hello,

I have a 2003 Yaris T3 1.0 litre that I have been repairing (engine 1SZ-FE).

The correct error code that I am reading is P1345 – to best of my research is regarding the camshaft position sensor/wiring/ECM.

Before this error code appeared I did some other work on the car. The car occasionally stalled either whilst driving, or repeatedly when starting up. Also within the engine, there was a bad noise coming from the timing chain area.

I removed the camshaft head and inspected the timing chain with looked slack. Also noticed the teeth on the sprockets are warn in. removed the timing chain cover and oil sump to replace the timing chain, all the sprockets (including the VVT) and tensioner. As well as replacing the oil filter and oil.

Reassembled and the engine made much less noise and performance increased. But the engine would still cut out. The car runs around 580/600 revs when warm and idling. Which seemed low to me, I think I read it should be between 630-750. I started to inspect the idle air system. I took off the air filter system and had the car idling and I sprayed some carburettor cleaner into the idle air Intake. When running the car next the engine didn’t stall. So I took apart the carburettor and cleaned everywhere inside (it wasn’t that dirty) but now it never stalls but still runs about 580/600 revs.

The first time the P1345 error code appeared was now (also this is the only time when the car has ever had an error code). It only appears when the engine coolant temperature reaches +70°, after about 5/10 minutes of driving. I can clear the code and 5/10mins later it appears. I also checked and cleaned the VVT filter, no success.

I tried testing the wiring with my multi-meter but I didn’t really understand what I was doing. I just swapped out the camshaft position sensor for a new version. Engine code still appears.

So currently, timing chain parts and camshaft position sensor and oil filter replaced. carburettor and VVT filter cleaned. Engine code P1345 still keeps appearing. I’m pretty much at a dead end.

Apart from the error code and the revs being a little low, the car runs brilliantly.

Anyone been down this road before?

Many thanks,

Nicholas

The inlet cam timing sensor, although working, otherwise the engine would not start, is not matching the input to the ECU from other sensors for some reason. I would say the VVT is not operating correctly Hence the problem with the idle speed.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Hi, thanks for the reply Geoff,

I did think that the VVT might be part of the problem. It is new, and when running the OBD 2 reader is showing the timing angle, which i believe is the VVT adjusting. The timing angle can go anywhere between +38° and I forget what minus angle it goes to. It doesn't seem random either, for example when under more load the timing angle increases.

So to the best of my knowledge it atleast is moving. But i will try and find out what angles it should be going to, and maybe when it should be doing it.

P1345 Can be set by a problem during the vvti controller installation, Toyota even issued special instructions to dealers having the same problems when carrying out repairs.

check this link: http://www.rav4faq.kerkerinck.de/allgemeineinformationen/tsb/files/EG6009-TOY_VVTI-Stoerung.pdf

Hi, thanks for the reply Geoff,

I did think that the VVT might be part of the problem. It is new, and when running the OBD 2 reader is showing the timing angle, which i believe is the VVT adjusting. The timing angle can go anywhere between +38° and I forget what minus angle it goes to. It doesn't seem random either, for example when under more load the timing angle increases.

So to the best of my knowledge it atleast is moving. But i will try and find out what angles it should be going to, and maybe when it should be doing it.

I think Devon Aygo's link is the answer. This is exactly what you need the correct proceedure for VVT installation.

Regards Geoff Peace.

hey all,

I read through Deven Aygo link. Thought it would be the answer too. When i did install the part, it was without chains at the time, so there was no way for the parts to rotate at different degrees to cause a pinch. I did open the engine up quickly and had a play around inside. Rotating the camshalf, just general wiggling really. Put it back together and the Engine management light came back on. I actually know when its gonna go off, its on the same part of the road every time when I test the car.

I was paying more attention to the timing advance though. The ODB2 reader says it goes from -1.5 to +38 degrees. which seems odd to me. most websites say +- 20 degrees.

Im now thinking during the installation. rather than over attaching the VVT so that the pin has pinched. I think I have set it about 18.5 degrees off. Again which i don't know how because there are location pins when installing, and the engine was at TDC for aligning the chain to the gold links.

I think tomorrow I will take off the camshaft cover again and check for TDC, and that it all aligning on the crankshaft, sprockets and camshaft.

Thanks again guys.

P.s. of yeah, just to say that link really was helpful even if it might not be the pinching of the pin, because it states the error code can be due to "the difference between the actual and target adjustment angle" which I guess is obvious, but defiantly has lead me to research further into the angles the VVt can go to.

Fixed the problem. Im not 100% sure what did it. but basically replaced the new VVT sprocket with the old one and it works perfectly. Engine runs brilliantly, no engine light, going to leave the old part in.