Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4.2 Rear Door Window Shattered!

sniper9652

Hi all, Wife went out in the Rav and came back with the rear window shattered! She says that a tipper truck overtook her at speed and as it was just passing the rear screen went in.. shattered!

It scared her and she did'nt manage to get the reg of the tipper! Must have been a loose stone/debris..etc as they never cover the load with net or tarpaulin like they should!

Got a feeling this is going to be a dear doo..screen plus heater? I would imagine this is a Mr T fix? Can anyone give any suggestions on other fixes and an approx cost? I think my insurance excess is about £150!

TIA, Steve

Hi all, Wife went out in the Rav and came back with the rear window shattered! She says that a tipper truck overtook her at speed and as it was just passing the rear screen went in.. shattered!

It scared her and she did'nt manage to get the reg of the tipper! Must have been a loose stone/debris..etc as they never cover the load with net or tarpaulin like they should!

Got a feeling this is going to be a dear doo..screen plus heater? I would imagine this is a Mr T fix? Can anyone give any suggestions on other fixes and an approx cost? I think my insurance excess is about £150!

TIA, Steve

I would source one from a breaker there must be several out there being broken, then you could ask your local auto glass etc to fit it , would not cost too much for them to fit. Several on eBay I would of thought. Hope you have some luck, all best.

Should be covered by the windscreen part of your insurance Steve - are you saying the excess on that is £150?

Should be covered by the windscreen part of your insurance Steve - are you saying the excess on that is £150?

Yea, I'd check windscreen insurance. I don't think it differentiates between front & rear. Worth a question or two....

You may have a £150 general excess on your insurance, but the figure may be much lower for simple windscreen (or any other glass) claims. Check your policy.

Windscreen cover usually covers all the vehicle's glass.

I had my rear glass replaced by RAC and the cost was the windscreen excess as usually ALL glass is covered by the 'windscreen excess policy'.

£150 is not uncommon excess for glass nowadays and I would personally just get a new one and pay the excess as it does not affect the claims history and sourcing a 2nd hand one and paying to get it fitted cannot be far off the £150 anyway.

Same thing happened to Mrs P when she pulled over on a main road to get a bag a spuds from a farm shop.A lorry went past and a stone flew up shattered the rear screen.A quick phone call to the insurance to make sure she was covered and Autowindscreen came out to her works with in an hour and replaced the screen.Cost £100 excess.

Thanks everyone for your advice and input on this! It works out that I have £75 ex for glass and LV directed me to Autoglass who are going to replace the window on Wednesday AM!

Quite surprised how very easy this was with no hastle at all!

Steve

On a slightly different note....not ALL glass may be covered. If you have a leaky sunroof don't smash that before checking policy. My policy excludes sunroofs. If it does leak get it to a company who does auto glass work and get them to remove the seal and seal it properly before refitting. A few years back I had water in the headliner / dripping though the sunglass holder / turned off my speedo once too. Rusted the frame of the sunroof so bought a used perfect condition spare. I spent £40 getting the seal sealed properly on that as soon as i saw a tiny droplet in the seal. Been excellent since!

The fact is that water works it's way through between the seal and the glass and drips into the headliner instead of the black drip trays.

May help if someone is still searching for a fix for the "leaking sunroof on a 4.2 rav4" problem. ;)

Thanks everyone for your advice and input on this! It works out that I have £75 ex for glass and LV directed me to Autoglass who are going to replace the window on Wednesday AM!

Quite surprised how very easy this was with no hastle at all!

Steve

Well, car went into the Autoglass branch workshop and the job was done in about 2 hours with no hastle at all and pretty friendly staff! Seem to be a good organisation and the job they did seems to be pretty good! Not sure about the replacement glass though? I did'nt expect it to have the 'Toyota' logo on it but I was expecting a known (to me) make like 'Pilkington'...etc! This glass has 'Starglass' as a name? Their website says that they source the glass from the same place the car makers do..mmm?

Anyway see how it is for a week or two before I'm completely happy!

Steve