Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trading In Prius For An Auris Hsd

Hicardo

I have a 3 1/2 yrs old Gen 3,2009 Prius and am considering trading in against a 2012 Auris HSD. The specs look fairly similar...both T4. What advantages or disadvantages do you folks see in this switch? The primary reason for me is to get the extended warranty, newer car, at modest outlay

Look forward to hearing your views

The trade in value of the 2009 gen3 could be low. Coupled with the massive price increase of the gen3 since 2009 means you could have a big finance gap to fill. It will probably be a lot cheaper to get a Toyota 2 year unlimited miles extended warranty on the 2009 gen3.

Have you got any figures?

Thanks Alan. I'm not proposing to trade my Prius against another Prius, but against a Auris HSD, which is considerably better value 2nd hand. The question is really about what practical differences am i going to suffer, if i swap my prius for the auris. I am accepting there will be an outlay.

No HUD, you have to keep looking down to the speedo, smaller boot, less rear legroom and the fuel economy is rumoured to be not as good as the Prius in the real world, although fuelly shows only 0.2 average mpg difference between the Auris and a 2009 Prius. Apart from that its a good buy and it feels more solid than the Prius.

I guess the smaller boot may be a factor as I like to chuck a bike in the back, which you can easily do in the Prius with seats folded. Legroom is a concern but only carry rear passengers 2 or 3 times a year, so depends how much room there is in Auris with the drivers seat right back.

Don't use the HUD..find it too distracting, so that's not an issue for me.

As the Auris is a smaller car it will have less rear legroom and boot space.

Although I have carried 6ft rear passengers with no complaints.

But apart from that it is very similar to the Prius, shares the same running gear etc.

Not sure about getting your bike in the boot, so my advice would be to take it with you to the dealers and try it before you buy.

The plus side is you are buying a British made car and you will not be tarred with the eco warrior brush that affects the Prius owners :)

I wondered about being labelled a tree hugger before I bought my Prius. I figured that it wasn't going to be a problem because there are many different reasons for choosing a hybrid, e.g. good petrol automatic, avoid tax...

I think it is sad that anyone lives somewhere where they feel that they have to hide that they drive a hybrid.

The boot of Mk 1 Auris HSD is small back of seat to lid-wise - avoid the integrated TomTom (about 2 generations behind in sat-nav technology, and €150 to install an iPod cable) - whilst the floating central console looks better than the revised one in the Mk 2, access to oddments tray is poor - I think the Mk 2 has a tyre repair kit rather than a spare or spacesaver (which immediately crosses it off my wish list)

I think the Mk 2 has a tyre repair kit rather than a spare or spacesaver (which immediately crosses it off my wish list)

Due to the excessive road noise from the Prius, I was seriously considering the Auris Hybrid as a replacement for my Prius this year, although I would miss the HUD, but after checking the brochure, not having a spare wheel definitely crosses it off my list too. Looks like I'll be getting another Prius or switching brands.

Yes, I regularly do trans-Iberian journeys at weekends or mid-week overnights - wouldn't want to set out on those without a spare wheel. I haven't checked the new Auris to see whether there is room for a spare in the boot, and it is just Toyota penny-pinching

Thanks for the replies guys. The Gen1 Auris HSD has a spare wheel. I saw it with my own eyes today! On a '12 reg

So i am quite persuaded that perhaps a '61 reg or '12 reg Auris HSD will be the way to go for me, trading in the Prius. Have checked bike space, and its not enough, so would have to use a rack on the back, but i have one in the garage anyway.

Interesting that the Auris is a lot quieter...i hadn't thought about that. I must admit i don't find my Prius noisy, but if its even quieter, so much the better.

The boot of Mk 1 Auris HSD is small back of seat to lid-wise - avoid the integrated TomTom (about 2 generations behind in sat-nav technology, and €150 to install an iPod cable) - whilst the floating central console looks better than the revised one in the Mk 2, access to oddments tray is poor - I think the Mk 2 has a tyre repair kit rather than a spare or spacesaver (which immediately crosses it off my wish list)

A spare wheel is actually available both as a space saver or full sized, the latter would compromise boot space though. Rather than offering a complete kit you have to buy the wheel, tyre, wheel securing bolt & tool bag,There are also polystyrene type boxes which surround the wheel, one of which rehouses the repositioned jack. IMO they should either be on the options/accessory list as a complete kit or better still offered as a choice when ordering a new car.

• 2 weeks later...

So yes I have just traded my Prius against a 61 reg - Auris HSD in silver with just 8500 on the clock.

First impressions -

a - great to be covered by 3 yrs 6 mths balance of 5 yr warranty

b - drives smoother than my 2009 gen 3 Prius. Seems to start and stop the engine more quietly

c - 50 mile route yesterday along mostly B roads averaged 59.9 mpg in 1 degree C temps

d - currently don't find the drivers seat as comfortable as prius, but maybe need to give it more time

e - no HUD, auto wipers, cruise on my T4. Will miss cruise, but hey

f - Auris handles a bit better on bends, but not quite as composed as prius

g - prefer Auris instrumentation...classy, not distracting, loads of functions on computer, some of which not on Prius

"A spare wheel is actually available both as a space saver or full sized, the latter would compromise boot space though....IMO they should either be on the options/accessory list as a complete kit or better still offered as a choice when ordering a new car."

This is presumably a dealer option, because, as you say, there is no mention in the brochure. At least it's reassuring to know there's room to have a space saver. I'll put the Auris back on the list come exchange time.

In passing, Toyota seem to have learnt from some of the other car-makers with the new Auris - offer plenty of packs and options. With the mk. 1 it was the connect pack plus a few accessories - now there are packs, options, and accessories

I haven't checked the new Auris to see whether there is room for a spare in the boot, and it is just Toyota penny-pinching

My Auris Icon has a spare wheel - a tyre pump [electric] - and a canister of get you home gunge.

The boot is bigger as I can now get all of my wife's mobility scooter in.

Ride - Brakes - Steering - Quietness - are vastly improved. I even got an eighteen pound rebate off my insurance. [Previous car An Auris T3]

Other attributes / deficiencies are rather subjective, so no use just talking about it

Do yourself a favour and get yourself a test-drive- I personnaly am delighted.

:gora:

Good Luck TerryB

I did just that and really liked the new Auris so I oredered one last Sat. Now I'm just waiting on a phonecall to say its ready as they said they would have it by the 14th

I haven't checked the new Auris to see whether there is room for a spare in the boot, and it is just Toyota penny-pinching

My Auris Icon has a canister of get you home gunge.

Providing you are not unfortunate enough to get the wrong type of puncture. Imagine being in the back of beyond at night, pouring with rain and a shredded tyre. Even the far from perfect space saver at least provides mobility. Toyota, just sell the car with 5 wheels or at least list the option of a spare.

Apart from that the car is great, no quibbles with ride, build or cabin quality.

Providing you are not unfortunate enough to get the wrong type of puncture. Imagine being in the back of beyond at night, pouring with rain and a shredded tyre. Even the far from perfect space saver at least provides mobility.........

BassaJay

Please try to keep up !

My statement was =" My Auris Icon has a spare wheel - a tyre pump [electric] - and a canister of get you home gunge."

So in your theoretical scenario I would fit the spare wheel, not try to repair a shredded tyre. :bangin: DOH !!!

Providing you are not unfortunate enough to get the wrong type of puncture. Imagine being in the back of beyond at night, pouring with rain and a shredded tyre. Even the far from perfect space saver at least provides mobility.........

BassaJay

Please try to keep up !

My statement was =" My Auris Icon has a spare wheel - a tyre pump [electric] - and a canister of get you home gunge."

So in your theoretical scenario I would fit the spare wheel, not try to repair a shredded tyre. :bangin: DOH !!!

Glad to hear that, thought you were being subtle by implying that the standard compressor & gunk counted as your fictitious "spare wheel". Did you already have a suitable spare or did you buy one specifically for your new Icon ?

So - back on topic....

Why are more early gen. 3 Prius owners not trading in against a nearly new Auris HSD? Great value right now. Perhaps they are, but I hadn't read any other threads on this subject

Did you already have a suitable spare or did you buy one specifically for your new Icon ?

See your point BasssaJay, but No and No.

Can confirm the 'space saver' spare wheel was standard issue with the car, as was all the other kit, including wheel brace and jack, also a years free membership of the AA [via Club Toyota].

The only snag I can frosee is that I couldn't get a signal on my mobile in your "back of beyond" location to get assistance if needed.

Sorry Hicardo, but how long is a piece of string?? all yours now.

TerryB

So - back on topic....

Why are more early gen. 3 Prius owners not trading in against a nearly new Auris HSD? Great value right now. Perhaps they are, but I hadn't read any other threads on this subject

Probably because our cars are worth peanuts because of Toyota's Weasel Warranty.

Well what i'm saying is, its a good time to think about trading against an Auris for exactly that reason. No more WW and a really good deal on the Gen1 Auris with balance of 5 yr warranty.

So - back on topic....

Quite a good point...especially when the Auris has just been face lifted/upgraded and there are plenty of the previous models on the market at quite good prices.( there are some at high prices too, just to catch out the uninformed) I would imagine that it might have something to do with a gradual and widespread lowering of the standard of the uk standard of living ie fewer punters or perhaps the owners whose cars are out of warranty period are just resigned to running them without warranty since, generaly speaking , the cars are reliable.

I think the Prius is due an upgrade in the not to distant future!!

I need the cargo space of the Prius on occassions. Must admit the Auris looks tempting but their are restrictions..