Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trading In Prius For An Auris Hsd

Hicardo

Can confirm the 'space saver' spare wheel was standard issue with the car,

TerryB

So are you saying that the Icon HSD is supplied with a standard fit space saver? - certainly not the case with the UK spec.1.6 Valvematic, compressor and gunk only.

Apologies Hicardo for going off thread but I would appreciate clarification regarding this from TerryB.

Well what i'm saying is, its a good time to think about trading against an Auris for exactly that reason. No more WW and a really good deal on the Gen1 Auris with balance of 5 yr warranty.

Hi Hicardo,

Sadly no. Because of the market distortion introduced by Toyota with the Weasel Warranty for six months of 2009, the early Gen III Prius value has fallen like a stone.

The result is that I am not willing to take the massive depreciation hit. It makes far more sense to keep the car for a few more years. And I really do not want to buy another car from a company that is willing to treat its customers this way for the sake of a small amount of extra profit.

TerryB

So are you saying that the Icon HSD is supplied with a standard fit space saver? - certainly not the case with the UK spec.1.6 Valvematic, compressor and gunk only.

Apologies Hicardo for going off thread but I would appreciate clarification regarding this from TerryB.

My Dear BasssaJay, Oh! Dear Oh!Dear What can I say only to apologise for giving out Duff Gen.

You gave me a nagging feeling over this so Iv'e just examined my Icon spare wheel area only to discover I DO NOT have one.

I must admit to only giving it cursory glance prior to purchase [not the most interesting of features], the impression of all the bits and pieces surrounded by a black item I took to be a wheel - well it wasn't.

It is a polythene former to hold all the bits snugly - NOT A WHEEL.

Sorry to all form my error and Hicardo for once again trampling all over your post - but truth must out.

TerryB :blushing:

TerryB

My Dear BasssaJay, Oh! Dear Oh!Dear What can I say only to apologise for giving out Duff Gen.

You gave me a nagging feeling over this so Iv'e just examined my Icon spare wheel area only to discover I DO NOT have one.

I must admit to only giving it cursory glance prior to purchase [not the most interesting of features], the impression of all the bits and pieces surrounded by a black item I took to be a wheel - well it wasn't.

It is a polythene former to hold all the bits snugly - NOT A WHEEL.

Sorry to all form my error and Hicardo for once again trampling all over your post - but truth must out.

TerryB :blushing:

Thanks TerryB, all is forgiven and at least that's cleared it up, I was beginning to wonder if mine was missing a spare. Guess like me obtaining one will be a priority? The space saver replaces the tray we have which holds the tools, gunk etc. A securing bolt and tool bag (empty) would be required with the space saver. The jack should store wrapped and secured under the wheel in its dish meaning hopefully the so called boot's hidden compartment (the one with the deck board in its uppermost position) is retained. Toyota do show auxillary boxes on page 451 of the owner's manual but I think that they may eat up some boot space, mainly that hidden compartment option. Also they probably know how to charge for them! The manual also shows a full sized spare which would definitely compromise boot space. Although the new Auris is available with 15", 16" & 17" rims according to model, the space saver is a 17" rim with a skinny T125/70D17 98M tyre, so one size should fit all.

Sorry once again Hicardo for highjacking your thread - its been a 'wheel problem' :ermm: .

Ancient - i was in the same position as you with a 2009 Prius out of warranty. My cost to change was approx £2500. For that - i have swapped from a 3.5 year old car with no warranty, to a 1.5 year old car with 3.5 years warranty. I'm really happy with that deal. It doesnt matter if deprec has hit the 2009 Prius if depreciation has hit also the Gen 1 Auris HSD because the Gen 2 Auris is about to come out.

This presupposes of course that one is able to live with the smaller car.

As someone else said, there are wildly varying prices out there for the Gen 1 Auris HSD, so you need your wits about you. For the same model i have seen more than £3000 diff between dealers locally and dealers in London.

Anyway - i'm delighted! :cowboy:

Ancient - i was in the same position as you with a 2009 Prius out of warranty. My cost to change was approx £2500. For that - i have swapped from a 3.5 year old car with no warranty, to a 1.5 year old car with 3.5 years warranty. I'm really happy with that deal. It doesnt matter if deprec has hit the 2009 Prius if depreciation has hit also the Gen 1 Auris HSD because the Gen 2 Auris is about to come out.

This presupposes of course that one is able to live with the smaller car.

As someone else said, there are wildly varying prices out there for the Gen 1 Auris HSD, so you need your wits about you. For the same model i have seen more than £3000 diff between dealers locally and dealers in London.

Anyway - i'm delighted! :cowboy:

Well mileage affects the situation somewhat, but I have less than 18,000 on mine so I found it a good deal more economical just to pay up (£600) and extend the warranty by a couple of years. I much prefer my Prius (2009 TSpirit plus front and rear parking sensors and an extra set of wheels fitted with winter tyres) to any of the current Auris options.

Agreed, what works for one, doesn't necessarily work for others.

I traded T4 for T4. There are considerably less miles on the "new" car, and also a lot fewer dings, scratches, and wheel gouges - none in fact, and this time ill try to keep it like that.

"...any of the current Auris options...."

You sound like a candidate for the Touring Sports version

Why are more early gen. 3 Prius owners not trading in against a nearly new Auris HSD?

The hybrid Auris's boot is too small.

We did have a Hybrid Auris as a loan car for a weekend and it was fine. But the boot space while OK for day to day use, was too small for weekend family trips.

Also, I don't have a problem with my gen3 and will keep it as long as it lasts. The Toyota extended warranty covers all the hybrid parts and HV Battery and for me was just under £700 for 2 years. It includes 2 years Toyota Club saving me £120.

Thanks johalareewi. I had forgotten about the complimentary Toyota Club membership - It makes my £600 look even better . . . . :driving:

Well - if it helps anyone....Currie Motors Chiswick have some very aggressively priced used Aurii HSD

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks johalareewi. I had forgotten about the complimentary Toyota Club membership - It makes my £600 look even better . . . . driving.gif

It gets even better.

My other half rang to renew her Toyota Club yesterday and because I have it as part of the warranty, she was able to renew hers at the lower rate. Saved her £11.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Hicardo,

I have just traded my Gen 3 Prius for a Auris HSD T Spirit Nav in Pearl White 2011 model. If you can live without the HUD display and smaller boot then go for it. It is a better car to drive all round than the Prius also not as much road noise. I find it more comfortable better visability and just as fuel efficient. I don't miss the looks I used to get from Motorheads who think that the Prius is the Anti *****, I did not buy these cars to save the Planet I bought them because they are reliable, good, cheap to run and well made. My advise is go for it.

I traded up from a 60 plate Prius T-Spirt to a 61 plate Auris T Spirit (touch and go with the dark alloys) I totally agree with Motif66, its more refined in ever way, Rattle and squeak non existent, handling / corner taking more direct with little body roll, no difference in economy, easier to drive efficient with the analogue display, Touch and go satnav with google online search is amazing with a major improvement to routing and cheaper map updates. you can even send destinations from your home pc to the car downloaded via mobile phone, seating positions and visibility better also. Dashboard / IP is put together much better with materials feel more premium = no rattles. The only thing the Prius has over the Auris is cabin space and boot volume.

Loads of deals around on these now as they are all ex Toyota burnason white collar cars just services in excellent condition.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've had my Auris HSD for 2 months now and i love it. First long trip last weekend - it returned an average 60mpg, with considerable motorway use, and some country lanes. As you say, it handles great, and is quiet and smooth. I do have a rattle in either the passenger front pillar or the headlining, cant really tell, but the dash is rock solid, no rattles from there, which is a big improvement on the Prius. If the rattle i have persists, i'll ask the dealer to fix.

The boot swallowed 2 cases, coats, walking boots etc. So whilst not huge, it is perfectly adequate. As you say, there is less adverse road rage too, which is a bonus. I dont think other drivers know what it is.

• Like 1