Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Program Avensis Remote

Solunauk

I changed the Battery in one of the remotes for my 1998 Avensis (Battery type CR1616, two for each key), and of course it then needed to be re-programmed. The immobiliser function is re-programmed as follows (solution provided by Patrick Boyle):

"You can program an additional key into the Avensis 1998 - 06/2000 by following this sequence:

Open driver's door and insert programmed black key into ignition. Close door.

1). Within 15 seconds

Switch ignition on and off 4 times.

Switch ignition on.

Open and close the driver's door.

2). Within 20 seconds

Open and close driver's door 5 times.

Remove key from ignition.

3). Within 10 seconds

Insert black key to be programmed into ignition.

Switch on and leave for 1 minute.

Remove key.

Repeat step 3 for further keys.

To exit programming open and close the driver's door.

If your key is grey in colour then it can't be used to program additional keys."

But you also need to re-program the remote for the alarm/central locking, and the solution given by Pat in another thread doesn't work. I finally found out how to do it from Jean Nygaard at Toyota Denmark:

"1. Start: Driver's door open and unlocked. Key not inserted in the ignition.

2. Insert programmed black key in ignition and then remove it, without turning it.

3. Do the following with the driver's door: shut, open, shut, open, all within 40 secs.

4. Insert key in ignition and then remove it, without turning it.

5. Repeat step 3.

6. Close driver's door.

7. Insert key in ignition

8. Turn key from Lock to On and back to Lock with a 1 second interval. The number of times you do this will select the desired programming mode: Once for ADD key, twice for REWRITE all keys, 3 times for CONFIRMATION, 5 times for PROHIBITION.

9. Remove key from ignition.

10. As verification of mode selection (except in Confirmation mode), the electric door locks will lock and unlock a number of times corresponding to the mode chosen in step 8.

(If Confirmation mode is selected, the doors will lock/unlock a number of times corresponding to the number of remote controls programmed into the system.)

11. For ADD and REWRITE modes: within 25 seconds after the locks have confirmed the selected mode:

(11a) Hold down the LOCK button on the new remote control whilst at the same time pressing UNLOCK 5 times. (11b) Release and press LOCK once. (11c) if the procedure has been performed correctly, the door locks will go from lock to unlock. If not, start from 1 again.

(11d) To enter additional remotes, repeat from step (11a).

12. Open driver's door to complete the procedure."

It worked! Saved me a few quid ... but well worth the four or five hours I spent on it? Hmmm. At least I don't need to go cap (or wallet) in hand to my Toyota dealer.

Sol

• 1 month later...

can this procedure be used to re-encode my current key so that other keys cant be used to open the car? (i lost my second key so want tto re encode the remaining one for security).

(i read that you can press a button on the alarm or ECU... does this do the same things as your method openign the door in 20 secs, key infor 10 secs.....etC?)

thanks!

julian

I don't know exactly, but my GUESS is that you would go for REWRITE at step 8, and just encode the one key. Then all other keys shouldn't work, if I understand the system correctly (which I may not!).

No idea what pressing any buttons on the ECU does - high risk attached to that I reckon.

Good luck.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
I changed the battery in one of the remotes for my 1998 Avensis (battery type CR1616, two for each key), and of course it then needed to be re-programmed. The immobiliser function is re-programmed as follows (solution provided by Patrick Boyle):

"You can program an additional key into the Avensis 1998 - 06/2000 by following this sequence:

Open driver's door and insert programmed black key into ignition. Close door.

1). Within 15 seconds

Switch ignition on and off 4 times.

Switch ignition on.

Open and close the driver's door.

2). Within 20 seconds

Open and close driver's door 5 times.

Remove key from ignition.

3). Within 10 seconds

Insert black key to be programmed into ignition.

Switch on and leave for 1 minute.

Remove key.

Repeat step 3 for further keys.

To exit programming open and close the driver's door.

If your key is grey in colour then it can't be used to program additional keys."

But you also need to re-program the remote for the alarm/central locking, and the solution given by Pat in another thread doesn't work. I finally found out how to do it from Jean Nygaard at Toyota Denmark:

"1. Start: Driver's door open and unlocked. Key not inserted in the ignition.

2. Insert programmed black key in ignition and then remove it, without turning it.

3. Do the following with the driver's door: shut, open, shut, open, all within 40 secs.

4. Insert key in ignition and then remove it, without turning it.

5. Repeat step 3.

6. Close driver's door.

7. Insert key in ignition

8. Turn key from Lock to On and back to Lock with a 1 second interval. The number of times you do this will select the desired programming mode: Once for ADD key, twice for REWRITE all keys, 3 times for CONFIRMATION, 5 times for PROHIBITION.

9. Remove key from ignition.

10. As verification of mode selection (except in Confirmation mode), the electric door locks will lock and unlock a number of times corresponding to the mode chosen in step 8.

(If Confirmation mode is selected, the doors will lock/unlock a number of times corresponding to the number of remote controls programmed into the system.)

11. For ADD and REWRITE modes: within 25 seconds after the locks have confirmed the selected mode:

(11a) Hold down the LOCK button on the new remote control whilst at the same time pressing UNLOCK 5 times. (11b) Release and press LOCK once. (11c) if the procedure has been performed correctly, the door locks will go from lock to unlock. If not, start from 1 again.

(11d) To enter additional remotes, repeat from step (11a).

12. Open driver's door to complete the procedure."

It worked! Saved me a few quid ... but well worth the four or five hours I spent on it? Hmmm. At least I don't need to go cap (or wallet) in hand to my Toyota dealer.

Sol

Wow! Thanks, Sol, thanks Patrick. Reprogramming the remote on my Avensis GS 1998 worked first time. The instructions I bought from eBay (99p) were useless. You've saved me a packet and I am giving 50 quid extra to charity. Cheers! Mark

New to this site so sorry if it's been asked before but does anyone have working instructions for programming a new key for my 2003 53 reg T3x.

New to this site so sorry if it's been asked before but does anyone have working instructions for programming a new key for my 2003 53 reg T3x.

HI mate try this.This is works for my Avensis 2003,ther are two apart procedures.First you programm immobilizier and after it alarm and central lock.

Tell us how you getting on.

Good luck

Woj

As I hope you know, because of the design of the anti-theft ignition system on the Prius, losing both of your black master keys can create a quite a problem and requires the replacement of a computer (which generally has to be ordered) and the expense of installation and reprogramming. Recently, we lost one of our keys, leaving us with only one, and decided to order a couple more just to insure against any future expensive mistakes. All you have to do is give the key number to the dealer and they can send you keys already cut to fit the locks or just order blanks and any key shop can cut them for you... except they still won't start the car :). The computer has to be programmed for them first. This is something you can do yourself and really only takes a little more than a minute.

STEPS:

1. Begin by sitting in the driver seat with all the doors shut.

2. Insert your working master (black) key in the ignition.

3. Very Quickly, turn the key from "LOCK" to "ON" 5 times. (You will end with the key in the "LOCK" position)

4. Immediately, open and close the driver door 6 times very quickly. (End with the door closed)

5. Immediately, remove your working Master Key and insert your new Master Key

6. Turn the key to the "ON" position and leave it there while you wait for 1 minute.

7. After the minute, if you want to program another key, just remove the first one and insert the next one, turning it to "ON" and leaving it in position for 1 minute.

8. When you are through programming keys, just take the last one out, open and then close the driver door to lock in the programming, and your done :)

Programming Sub Keys (Grey) is done the same way except you turn the master key 4 times before you open and close the door 5 times. Then insert the sub key, turn to the "ON" position, and wait your minute. Finish by removing the key and opening and closing the door 1 time as before.

You can erase all the keys and start over by turning a working master key 6 times and then opening and closing the door 7 times. Then remove the key and reprogram again.

Remember : You only have a few seconds to perform each maneuver so don't waste time. You will know when you have done it right when you insert the blank key and the security light on the radio stops blinking. If it does not work, try completing the sequence faster, time yourself. And don't worry, if it doesn't work the first time, just do it again :)

**It is our understanding, according to the book, you can have 2 master keys and 1 sub key, however, we are aware of one gentleman who was able to osition.

Many have wondered about adding extra Remote Transmitters or replacing a lost or damaged one. Following is an explanation and the procedures for each of the possible programming functions. The Prius is capable of responding to a total of 4 remotes. If you attempt to program more than 4, it will erase the first remote programmed to make room for the next. Special thanks to John Rosario for his contribution in creating this section.

There are four different programming commands when setting up or verifying your remote transmitter, they are:

Add mode, used to add a remote to your Prius that is not currently registered.

Rewrite mode, used to erase all previously registered remotes and allow you to begin again the programming process.

Confirmation mode, used to verify the number of remotes that are already programmed in your Prius.

Prohibit mode, to prohibit all remotes from operating the door locks.

All four modes start with these instructions:

1) Make sure that the key is not in the ignition, the doors are unlocked, and the driver's door is open.

2) Very quickly, without turning, insert and remove key from the ignition twice. (leave key out)

3) Close and open the driver door twice. (leave door in open position)

4) Again, insert key into the ignition and remove it. This time only once. (leave key out)

5) Close and open the driver door twice, then close the door.

6) Insert key into the ignition and leave it in the LOCK position.

Add mode:

A1) Turn the key to "ON" for 1 second, then turn back to "LOCK".

A2) Remove the key.

A3) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK" and 1 second later "UNLOCK" (just listen)

A4) On your remote, press the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for 1 to 1½ seconds, then let go.

A5) On your remote, IMMEDIATELY press unlock by itself.

A6) You’ll get one of three responses:

R1) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" once. The remote is accepted. If you want to program another remote, immediately proceed to step A4 with your second remote, otherwise open the driver’s door and the remote is registered.

R2) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" twice. Either you didn’t use the same remote in steps A4 and A5(not likely), or this remote was already registered.

The timing was off when you pressed the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously and then UNLOCK by itself. Immediately press the two buttons together and the unlock by itself again. Keep trying until you get the locks to signal once that you have been successful. Then if you have another remote to program, quickly press its' buttons as before, until you hear the locks signal once. When you are finished, open and close the driver door to lock in the programming.

R3) If no response, go back to step 1 near the beginning of these instructions.

B. Rewrite mode:

B1) Turn the key to "ON" for 1 second, turn back to "LOCK" for 1 second, then back to "ON" for 1 second, and finally back to "LOCK" for 1 second

B2) Remove the key.

B3) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", 1 second later "UNLOCK", 1 sec., "LOCK", 1 sec. "UNLOCK". (just listen)

B4) On your remote, press the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for 1 to 1½ seconds, then let go.

B5) On your remote, IMMEDIATELY press unlock by itself.

B6) You’ll get one of three responses:

R1) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" once. The remote is accepted. If you want to program another remote, immediately proceed to step B4, otherwise open the driver’s door and the remote is registered.

R2) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" twice. You didn’t use the same remote in steps B4 and B5(not likely).

C. Confirmation mode:

C1) Turn the key in 1 to "ON" and back to "LOCK" in one second intervals for a total of 3 times.

C2) Remove the key.

C3) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK" and "UNLOCK" in 2 second intervals. (just listen and count each set)

1 Set = You have 1 remote registered

2 Sets = You have 2 remotes registered

3 Sets = You have 3 remotes registered

4 Sets = You have 4 remotes registered

5 Sets = You do NOT have any remotes registered

D. Prohibit mode:

D1) Turn the key to "ON" and back to "LOCK" in one second intervals a total of 5 times.

D2) Remove the key.

D3) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", 1 second later "UNLOCK" 5 times. (just listen and count each set)

D4) This will erase all previously registered remotes and cancel the wireless door lock function.

• Like 1

Hi and thanks for the reply. There is so much info here , do I need to do everything or not.

My situation is I have a master black key and I have obtained a blank transponder key and had the blade cut to fit my ignition.

With this information could you tell me which steps I need to carry out.

• 5 years later...

HI mate try this.This is works for my Avensis 2003,ther are two apart procedures.First you programm immobilizier and after it alarm and central lock.

Tell us how you getting on.

Good luck

Woj

As I hope you know, because of the design of the anti-theft ignition system on the Prius, losing both of your black master keys can create a quite a problem and requires the replacement of a computer (which generally has to be ordered) and the expense of installation and reprogramming. Recently, we lost one of our keys, leaving us with only one, and decided to order a couple more just to insure against any future expensive mistakes. All you have to do is give the key number to the dealer and they can send you keys already cut to fit the locks or just order blanks and any key shop can cut them for you... except they still won't start the car smile.gif. The computer has to be programmed for them first. This is something you can do yourself and really only takes a little more than a minute.

STEPS:

1. Begin by sitting in the driver seat with all the doors shut.

2. Insert your working master (black) key in the ignition.

3. Very Quickly, turn the key from "LOCK" to "ON" 5 times. (You will end with the key in the "LOCK" position)

4. Immediately, open and close the driver door 6 times very quickly. (End with the door closed)

5. Immediately, remove your working Master Key and insert your new Master Key

6. Turn the key to the "ON" position and leave it there while you wait for 1 minute.

7. After the minute, if you want to program another key, just remove the first one and insert the next one, turning it to "ON" and leaving it in position for 1 minute.

8. When you are through programming keys, just take the last one out, open and then close the driver door to lock in the programming, and your done smile.gif

Programming Sub Keys (Grey) is done the same way except you turn the master key 4 times before you open and close the door 5 times. Then insert the sub key, turn to the "ON" position, and wait your minute. Finish by removing the key and opening and closing the door 1 time as before.

You can erase all the keys and start over by turning a working master key 6 times and then opening and closing the door 7 times. Then remove the key and reprogram again.

Remember : You only have a few seconds to perform each maneuver so don't waste time. You will know when you have done it right when you insert the blank key and the security light on the radio stops blinking. If it does not work, try completing the sequence faster, time yourself. And don't worry, if it doesn't work the first time, just do it again smile.gif

**It is our understanding, according to the book, you can have 2 master keys and 1 sub key, however, we are aware of one gentleman who was able to osition.

Many have wondered about adding extra Remote Transmitters or replacing a lost or damaged one. Following is an explanation and the procedures for each of the possible programming functions. The Prius is capable of responding to a total of 4 remotes. If you attempt to program more than 4, it will erase the first remote programmed to make room for the next. Special thanks to John Rosario for his contribution in creating this section.

There are four different programming commands when setting up or verifying your remote transmitter, they are:

Add mode, used to add a remote to your Prius that is not currently registered.

Rewrite mode, used to erase all previously registered remotes and allow you to begin again the programming process.

Confirmation mode, used to verify the number of remotes that are already programmed in your Prius.

Prohibit mode, to prohibit all remotes from operating the door locks.

All four modes start with these instructions:

1) Make sure that the key is not in the ignition, the doors are unlocked, and the driver's door is open.

2) Very quickly, without turning, insert and remove key from the ignition twice. (leave key out)

3) Close and open the driver door twice. (leave door in open position)

4) Again, insert key into the ignition and remove it. This time only once. (leave key out)

5) Close and open the driver door twice, then close the door.

6) Insert key into the ignition and leave it in the LOCK position.

Add mode:

A1) Turn the key to "ON" for 1 second, then turn back to "LOCK".

A2) Remove the key.

A3) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK" and 1 second later "UNLOCK" (just listen)

A4) On your remote, press the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for 1 to 1½ seconds, then let go.

A5) On your remote, IMMEDIATELY press unlock by itself.

A6) You’ll get one of three responses:

R1) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" once. The remote is accepted. If you want to program another remote, immediately proceed to step A4 with your second remote, otherwise open the driver’s door and the remote is registered.

R2) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" twice. Either you didn’t use the same remote in steps A4 and A5(not likely), or this remote was already registered.

The timing was off when you pressed the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously and then UNLOCK by itself. Immediately press the two buttons together and the unlock by itself again. Keep trying until you get the locks to signal once that you have been successful. Then if you have another remote to program, quickly press its' buttons as before, until you hear the locks signal once. When you are finished, open and close the driver door to lock in the programming.

B. Rewrite mode:

B1) Turn the key to "ON" for 1 second, turn back to "LOCK" for 1 second, then back to "ON" for 1 second, and finally back to "LOCK" for 1 second

B2) Remove the key.

B3) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", 1 second later "UNLOCK", 1 sec., "LOCK", 1 sec. "UNLOCK". (just listen)

B4) On your remote, press the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for 1 to 1½ seconds, then let go.

B5) On your remote, IMMEDIATELY press unlock by itself.

B6) You’ll get one of three responses:

R1) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" once. The remote is accepted. If you want to program another remote, immediately proceed to step B4, otherwise open the driver’s door and the remote is registered.

R2) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" twice. You didn’t use the same remote in steps B4 and B5(not likely).

C. Confirmation mode:

C1) Turn the key in 1 to "ON" and back to "LOCK" in one second intervals for a total of 3 times.

C2) Remove the key.

C3) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK" and "UNLOCK" in 2 second intervals. (just listen and count each set)

1 Set = You have 1 remote registered

2 Sets = You have 2 remotes registered

3 Sets = You have 3 remotes registered

4 Sets = You have 4 remotes registered

5 Sets = You do NOT have any remotes registered

D. Prohibit mode:

D1) Turn the key to "ON" and back to "LOCK" in one second intervals a total of 5 times.

D2) Remove the key.

D3) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", 1 second later "UNLOCK" 5 times. (just listen and count each set)

D4) This will erase all previously registered remotes and cancel the wireless door lock function.

thanks very much for detailed instructions. My remote locking suddenly stopped working on 2003 avensis t25 model and had to reprogram it. worked a first time, what a treat and money saver.

Have bought blank key from eBay and second hand key from eBay as well. got blank key cut to my car, but I can only open doors manually. got transponder transfered from old second hand key to a newly cut key and need to programme it to my car so immobiliser and remote works. If it works, then happy days, will have spare key for my avensis as autokey shop here in dublin charges 280 euros for spare key made and all blanks and cuts so far costed me no more than 50 quid. will keep posted.

• 2 years later...

I got a avensis 2007 d4d I got a new key. Anyone now how to program the key because I tried but didn't work. The remote works.

• 7 years later...

I had the same problem it didn't crash it lost communication and I tried the above way and no success this way is for another alarm model not the TH 2000, Finally I went to the Toyota workshop and they programmed the remote from the TH alarm 2000 and I noticed that the electrician who made it didn't use the door open and close the door had been permanently open since he first got into the car, and secondly I noticed that with his left hand he was pressing the remote control the on and the panic button together with the right one I couldn't see it well he used the engine key and because I had a call on my cell phone and it distracted me and I lost all continuity I didn't see if he had turned the key to the being the simple put it in and took it out he tried everything and the two alarm keys, my phone horn that distracted me I would have stolen the process, I am attaching photos of the control
Anyway, look for someone of your gender who knows about Toyota's TH2000 alarm to see if he can reveal the procedure to us, and another thing that I noticed is that the procedure is a minute much less than the one described by opening and closing the driver's door, all you have to do is press the remote control the two buttons which are a lock button and the same for unlocking and the second button is for panic and he presses them both together this is the first process the rest I didn't manage to follow

IMG_20231205_191010.jpg

IMG_20231205_190949.jpg

IMG_20231202_214700.jpg