Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Change Glowplugs

JerryB

Hi everyone - can anyone give me some advice as to how to change glowplugs on Avensis 2008 2.0 D-4D.

Also, have sourced some on eBay for £26 for 4 plugs! Is this too cheap? Do they vary in quality?

Many thanks, Jerry

I haven't changed any on an Avensis but the procedure is pretty similar across the board.

The books will tell you to disconnect the Battery. I wouldn't bother. Obviously don't turn the ignition on etc while you're working tho.

You're best to do the job with the engine warm as it makes removal of the old plugs a bit easier. They can be tight and it's not uncommon for the glow plug to break in two - leaving you a whole new headache. However you will have the risk of burning yourself so be careful.

Locate the glow plugs and remove as much dirt etc as possible from around them so it doesn't go down the hole when you get the plug out.

Remove the wire connectors.

Unscrew the glow plug using a well fitting tool. Long reach hex sockets are the best. Be very careful not to chew the head or you won't get it out.

Clean the hole as best you can.

Screw in the new ones.

Reconnect the wires.

Hope this helps :)

I haven't changed any on an Avensis but the procedure is pretty similar across the board.

The books will tell you to disconnect the battery. I wouldn't bother. Obviously don't turn the ignition on etc while you're working tho.

You're best to do the job with the engine warm as it makes removal of the old plugs a bit easier. They can be tight and it's not uncommon for the glow plug to break in two - leaving you a whole new headache. However you will have the risk of burning yourself so be careful.

Locate the glow plugs and remove as much dirt etc as possible from around them so it doesn't go down the hole when you get the plug out.

Remove the wire connectors.

Unscrew the glow plug using a well fitting tool. Long reach hex sockets are the best. Be very careful not to chew the head or you won't get it out.

Clean the hole as best you can.

Screw in the new ones.

Reconnect the wires.

Hope this helps :)

Fantastic - many thanks Alan - appreciate your spending the time to help.

Just like changing spark plugs i suppose! - being a bit 'green' and never seen these things before - i suppose its easy to identify the glowplugs? - took engine cover off and saw three banks of four plugs! ???

Jerry

Yes similar to changing spark plugs but a bit more prone to breaking.

They should be fairly easy to identify. Have a look at your new ones and look for something similar.