Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Avensis 2.2 D-Cat (180Ps)

Tee786Avensis

Hello... I'm wondering if anyone has a 2009-2012 Avensis 2.2 D-Cat (180ps)?

I have just put down a deposit on one of these (i hope i've made the right decision)....

My current car is the old shape Avensis T180 (07 plate) and it had headgasket issues (from what i've read, this was a common problem on the old shape Avensis)

Does anyone know if the new shape Avensis suffers from headgasket problems? Or if there other problems known to the newer shape?

Any advice is much appreciated.... Thanks

I think that it will be 150PS, not 180.

Your current car may well be covered by Toyota's extended warranty (7 years or 180k km) for the head gasket issue.

This issue is noted on the Avensis for D4D production up until the end of Feb 2009 which covers some early T27s.

there have been some issues with the electronic handbrake actuator (£900 if out of warranty) again I think on early-ish T27s.

iirc some people also had problems with a weld? in the rear causing some noises.

My old Avensis had 112,500 miles when the headgasket issue happened... My local Toyota dealer said my car has exceeded the extended warranty parameters, so therefore is not covered.... They advised £3500+VAT for a new 3/4 engine block plus labour at £50 per hour!!!!!

I also contacted Toyota head office, who point blank refused to cover my car under the extended warranty....

I eventually decided to sell it with the problem (ended up selling it to a garage who were going to use it for spare parts)

I really liked the drive of the T180 and the awesome power delivery... Therefore decided to test drive the new shape Avensis (180ps) and it's even better than my old T180... So decided to put down a deposit on it, but don't know whether this was the right move?

I was also looking at Passats, however these suffer from injector problems....

Well, at 112,500 it was out of the extended warranty parameters even before considering service history.

I didn't think that they made a 180ps T27 for the UK? Certainly the current UK 2.2 D-CAT is 148bhp.

My old Avensis had 112,500 miles when the headgasket issue happened... My local Toyota dealer said my car has exceeded the extended warranty parameters, so therefore is not covered.... They advised £3500+VAT for a new 3/4 engine block plus labour at £50 per hour!!!!!

I also contacted Toyota head office, who point blank refused to cover my car under the extended warranty....

I eventually decided to sell it with the problem (ended up selling it to a garage who were going to use it for spare parts)

I really liked the drive of the T180 and the awesome power delivery... Therefore decided to test drive the new shape Avensis (180ps) and it's even better than my old T180... So decided to put down a deposit on it, but don't know whether this was the right move?

I was also looking at Passats, however these suffer from injector problems....

I would keep on looking at Passats. And by the way there is an extended warranty for injectors made by Siemens on diesels.

Sounds just not right to be forced to sell a diesel car with only 112 500 miles on the clock for spare parts!.

Although Toyota has the extended warranty for hg-problems I think there is something terribly wrong when these engine issues are so expensive to fix outside the warranty.

A headgasket repair should not be such a big deal as it is on the AD-engine really.

it's not just a simple hg replacement though.

Well, at 112,500 it was out of the extended warranty parameters even before considering service history.

I didn't think that they made a 180ps T27 for the UK? Certainly the current UK 2.2 D-CAT is 148bhp.

I also didn't know of the 180ps T27, until i came across it on the Toyota website... Its a 10plate with 34500 miles and has all the toys on it - full leather, heated electric seats, xenons, parking sensors and also has a panaramic roof.... Really nice drive and looks great.

Apparently these are very rare to find (according to the Toyota garage i bought it from).... My only concern is whether this car will be reliable in the long term... I cover about 20k miles a year and will most probably hold onto it for 3 years.

Toyota cured the head gasket & oil consumption issues by late 2009, working in a dealership and having seen many new shape Avensis fleet cars well beyond 100k and some nearer 200k I have yet too see one with a blown head gasket or using excessive amounts of oil.

Devon

Toyota cured the head gasket & oil consumption issues by late 2009, working in a dealership and having seen many new shape Avensis fleet cars well beyond 100k and some nearer 200k I have yet too see one with a blown head gasket or using excessive amounts of oil.

Devon

That's very reassuring to know Devon.

Pete.

Devon

Thanks for the reassurance Devon... Glad to hear the headgasket problems have been rectified...

In your experience of working with the new shape Avensis, do you know of any potential problems with this car?