Sign in to follow this  
freestyle

T180 Rear Bang

Recommended Posts

Hello fellow RAV'ers, long time no speak.

The recent spate of cold weather has upset my rav (i blame the cold weather as it was fine before it).

If the car has been sat for a while i'm finding that the body movement from a small incline (say the ramp outside work or a multi storey car park ramp) causes a rather audible thump from the rear of the car.

At the moment it only does it the once and then seems to be happy again, which would leave me to believe that it might be something seized, the fact it only does it once between sitting is also making me hesitant to throwing money at somebody to look at the car and find the problem.

Any body have any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If only a "one off" bump, then possibly a temporarily stuck handbrake shoe, or rear brake pad? If it doesn't sound alarming, you could just ignore it until it becomes more of a nuisance.

To test the handbrake theory, try parking up safely for a lengthy period without the handbrake on (in gear/chocked), and see what happens then.

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi chris,

after a few days of testing im 95% sure it is to do with the handbrake as i havent had the loud thump since using your method (the other 5% thinks it heard a small noise this morning but that could just be me listening out for anything).

i've returned to using the handbrake so will see tomorrow if the noise rears its head again, if in likelihood it is the handbrake is this something an average person can look at or am i looking at seeing a mechanic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi chris,

after a few days of testing im 95% sure it is to do with the handbrake as i havent had the loud thump since using your method (the other 5% thinks it heard a small noise this morning but that could just be me listening out for anything).

i've returned to using the handbrake so will see tomorrow if the noise rears its head again, if in likelihood it is the handbrake is this something an average person can look at or am i looking at seeing a mechanic?

There is a pinned thread somewhere that deals with the handbrake..

It is a set up of shoes within drums that are all part of the disc assembly. Its very easy to adjust and as I understand not hard to remove the disc/drum to inspect the shoes.. The shoes apparently do not wear unless the handbrake is left partly applied as their function is to hold the car only... But I am no expert here.

My car sits unused for long periods now and I just leave it in gear and leave the brake off. This is on level ground though and would not do this on even a slight slope.... If I don't do this it releases with the bang you have described above....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, not had a chance to look at the handbrake yet (not being mechanically minded doesn't help!) but i may have movement on the issue.....

Finally got round to getting her in for the rear suspension recall and ive been told the nearside rear anti roll bar link is broken! I've had a quick scour of the forum and would i be hazarding a very good guess that this is my issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do, very occasionally, get a "bang" from my brakes, on my T180 sticking on where starting off for the first time in the morning but it may well be your broken roll bar link!

Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this