Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery Life

flyboyprowler

I just had a mini drama with the 4.3. Parked outside a store while the wife went shopping, with radio, a/c lights for a short time, and in all around 15 mins. The car was difficult to start, with a flatend Battery. I left it for 5 mins with everything switched off, and it started, just. The car is a low mileage petrol auto, 18000, 2007, and on the original Battery. Would it be past its best, and I leave it on a Battery condition charger when we go to Spain. My last BMW neede to be locked and "asleep" for the charger to work properly, does anyone know if the RAV has a similar intelligence. Muchas thank you's, Ainsley

I just had a mini drama with the 4.3. Parked outside a store while the wife went shopping, with radio, a/c lights for a short time, and in all around 15 mins. The car was difficult to start, with a flatend battery. I left it for 5 mins with everything switched off, and it started, just. The car is a low mileage petrol auto, 18000, 2007, and on the original battery. Would it be past its best, and I leave it on a battery condition charger when we go to Spain. My last BMW neede to be locked and "asleep" for the charger to work properly, does anyone know if the RAV has a similar intelligence. Muchas thank you's, Ainsley

If it has still got that tiny wee original Battery, Ainz.....bin it and get a full size Battery which DOES fit the tray. You only get minutes with anything left on with that motor bike Battery. Its five year span 'as done thee proud....

Big Kev.

Thanks Kev, will have to do that Battery thing change when we get back from Spain again. Any thoughts on "sleep mode"

Thanks Kev, will have to do that battery thing change when we get back from Spain again. Any thoughts on "sleep mode"

Giraffe's bahooky on that one, mate.....need shcm or somebody for that one.

I am no way an expert, so be prepared for me to be wrong, but I seem to recall that locking by key or 3? blips on the remote locked it with the alarm off, but I am sure someone with a couple of brain cells will be along shortly. :)

Gus

I find that little Battery does great for its size. I was surprised and from what i can tell mine is still orginal but i usually leave the side lights when running into a shop, and play the radio for a good hour or so and its never run dry yet, maybe im just lucky

I find that little battery does great for its size. I was surprised and from what i can tell mine is still orginal but i usually leave the side lights when running into a shop, and play the radio for a good hour or so and its never run dry yet, maybe im just lucky

So that be an 11 year old Battery, Luke.....?

Can I send you my lottery numbers on a 50/50 split basis.....?

Big Kev.

I am no way an expert, so be prepared for me to be wrong, but I seem to recall that locking by key or 3? blips on the remote locked it with the alarm off, but I am sure someone with a couple of brain cells will be along shortly. :)

Gus

Fair shout, aging one....that should at least take the alarm drain out of the equation.

I find that little battery does great for its size. I was surprised and from what i can tell mine is still orginal but i usually leave the side lights when running into a shop, and play the radio for a good hour or so and its never run dry yet, maybe im just lucky

Big Kev.

Doesn't surprise me.

Our original Battery on the 02 RAV was replaced autumn 2011 and then only out of fear that it couldn't last any longer, especially if we got a repeat of the 09/10 winter. For the nearly-10 years of its life, it never gave any concern nor failed to start the car in any situation.

For all I know, it may have kept going strong if I'd not been a worry-wart.

If its a 2007 model it should have a big Battery anyway.

RAVs don't have any fancy sleeping modes. You are advised to perform any voltage drop tests after a good 10 mins just to let the sat nav do allits buffering and powering down etc.

Batteries should be trickle charged for a good 12 hours then drop tested.

What is the recommended height for the drop test, I know they split at about 2' 6" :D

Phil

On the series 2, if you were leaving the car for a while, you could disconnect the negative terminal of the Battery and on return reconnect and all you had to do was re-set the clock!

Do not know about the series 3 but I think re-connection should not give any big problems.

It seems that way from reading the Toyota hand book.

What is the recommended height for the drop test, I know they split at about 2' 6" :D

Phil

You need some fairly sturdy boots for the drop kick test!

Thanks for the input guys, thankfully I am now back in the warmth in Spain for 2 1/2 weeks, and the RAV is cosily tucked up in its garage, feeding of the Battery conditioner!

And Don, the pesky engine light has come on yet again,on the 4.2! I'll get to the bottom of this eventually!!

My 4.2 has a surprisingly small Battery (3years old) and seems ok. Do the diesel 4.2 Ravs have a bigger Battery sat in the same tray? The only time I've needed to get to the Battery was to stop the cover rattling..

Big Kev.

Doesn't surprise me.

Our original Battery on the 02 RAV was replaced autumn 2011 and then only out of fear that it couldn't last any longer, especially if we got a repeat of the 09/10 winter. For the nearly-10 years of its life, it never gave any concern nor failed to start the car in any situation.

For all I know, it may have kept going strong if I'd not been a worry-wart.

Similar to Jim's, I only changed the wee Battery for a full size because I got fed up with the battery going flat in a few minutes with only the ignition left on, so I suspected it (and it was the icy, snowy winter of 2010.) No regrets, as the car does start by almost nicely talking to the larger battery, but......

When him from the hills was up, he asked me to charge the wee battery overnight and he would drop test with his relevant eqipment.....bloody thing passed with flying colours.

Now keep it regularly charged for friends and family who are too tight to join AA or RAC, AND i AM FIRST PORT OF CALL FOR JUMP STARTS !!!!!

Big Kev