Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squealing Serpertine Belt When Wet, Need Help.

VantaaMike

I have a 2008 Aygo Blue. Last Autumn I noticed when it was raining heavily, the serpentine belt would squeal for about 3-5 seconds, then stop. When it doesn't rain, there isn't a squealing problem. Could this be a belt tensioner.? The car has 69,000 km. The belt has firm tension and is in good shape. Any imput and or ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.!!

It could be moisture forming on the belt, driven off with friction...

Before doing anything else you need to check the tension of the belt. I know you said that the belt has 'firm tension' but a more precise check is required.The tension is correct when firm thumb pressure results in a specific amount of deflection measured in mm at a specified point between pullys. Unfortunately I don't have the amount of deflection to hand but it's in my Haynes manual, together with the point between pullys to make the test. I'll look it up when I'm at home.

If the tension is correct then it may well be down to a worn belt in which case it should be replace.

DSH

Before doing anything else you need to check the tension of the belt. I know you said that the belt has 'firm tension' but a more precise check is required.The tension is correct when firm thumb pressure results in a specific amount of deflection measured in mm at a specified point between pullys. Unfortunately I don't have the amount of deflection to hand but it's in my Haynes manual, together with the point between pullys to make the test. I'll look it up when I'm at home.

If the tension is correct then it may well be down to a worn belt in which case it should be replace.

DSH

Thank you for this advise DSH, it makes sense that the problem is likely belt tension or a worn out belt. Do you know how long these serpentine belts are supposed to last.? And thanks again.!!

it isn't always the case that a squeaky belt is worn out and in need of replacement or adjustment as i have found out on my car, my main dealer (not toyota) has replaced the serpentine belt and every now and then i still get a squeal so maybe its something you will have to live with, my car is still under its warranty and the belt was replaced under warranty as well

it isn't always the case that a squeaky belt is worn out and in need of replacement or adjustment as i have found out on my car, my main dealer (not toyota) has replaced the serpentine belt and every now and then i still get a squeal so maybe its something you will have to live with, my car is still under its warranty and the belt was replaced under warranty as well

Ouch, that is not encouraging news. Sorry to hear about that. I'm going to the local Toyota dealership here in Southern Finland and have them check tension and the condition of the belt, then see where I stand. Thanks for your imput.!

• 6 months later...

Just had my Aygo in for its 3rd year service with Toyota and they have said this belt might need replacing soon, they have said its not covered under warranty. can you tell me if yours was replaced under toyota warranty?

mercedes replaced my belt under warranty due to the fact there was a modified belt that was now being fitted .

• 5 years later...

I have a aygo 2010 and when it rains or even putting my lights on the squeal from the belt comes on. can you help. i have already had it looked at and it stopped for a while now its happening again . can you help

On 6/11/2019 at 9:08 AM, mimi bree said:

I have a aygo 2010 and when it rains or even putting my lights on the squeal from the belt comes on. can you help. i have already had it looked at and it stopped for a while now its happening again . can you help

If you look at the belt, is it shiny? If it is, the belt could well be old and should be changed. If it's a dull colour, or has been changed recently, then it could just be something as simple as tightening the belt. But if it hasn't been changed then it'll definitely need changing, as with it squealing its your indication that it should need changing.