Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2009 Yaris 1.4 D4D - Difficulty Starting And Black Smoke From Cold

Nalhelm

Hi guys,

I bought a Yaris 1.4 D4D (1ND-TV) with 19k miles from a dealer a few weeks ago and it has struggled starting both in the cold and up to 15 degrees C.

I have attached some videos but basically it takes a few cranks to start and produces a fair amount of black smoke. It runs absolutely fine after 10 seconds idling, no lack of power or any other symptoms.

I initially suspected poor diesel used by the previous owner and injectors were dirty or the Battery was not fully charged, so I have driven a few long journeys on a full tank of Shell fuel save with redex (60 miles each way) and when the engine was warm on the last 10 miles back I held it in 3rd gear up a hill at about 3,500 revs for 10 seconds then up to 4,000 before changing gear. It was at night and a small amount of soot came out but hardly anything compared to my old VW Passat 1.9 TDI (PD130).

Next day starting was a breeze - no problem. After doing a few journeys around town changing gear at 2,500 - 3,000 when warm, after the car is left for more than a day not driving it struggles to start again and there is smoke, though not as much as in the videos (it is about 10*C at present).

I took it to the dealer and they checked EGR, sensors etc. and said glow plugs and injectors are fine. It has just had an oil change by them too so not sure where to go from here... The rear windscreen heating element has a fault too which the dealer said to come back in a couple of months about so they can do a warranty claim to replace it (if there is a injector / glow plug issue, they're likely to fob me off to save some £ if they can't yet claim back from Toyota...?)

I noticed the air filter was not changed at the service and had a bit of crap in it like a few feathers and leaves but the dealer said it was inspection only and didn't need replacing. Could this play a part in this?

If anyone has had similar experience with the smoke and struggle cranking please reply and tell us your story - hopefully a resolution too!

*** PLEASE NOTE ON THE VIDEO OF THE ENGINE STARTING THERE IS A ELECTRICAL ZAP SOUND AT 2 OR 3 SECONDS IN, AND THE GLOW PLUG LIGHT HAS GONE OUT BEFORE CRANKING ***

Thanks in advance.

http://youtu.be/XZkDkT6Kxeg

http://youtu.be/ucl-m5oAYU0

There is a technical service bulletin that seems to relate to your issues:

EG-0054T-0110-EN

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON

Some customers may complaint about one of the following conditions:

• Engine is difficult to start in a certain engine temperature range (below 5°C).

• Engine runs very unstable for a very short period directly after cold start.

PRODUCTION CHANGE

Injector spray angle is changed, in order to better match with the swirl condition inside the combustion

chamber at low temperature. In parallel a new E/G software is available.

PRODUCTION CHANGE INFORMATION

Please check the engine number to determine if new injectors are installed. When new injectors are installed,

the latest software is also installed.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

Reprogram the ECU with the latest available software and apply a new label with correct ECU part number.

Replace all 4 injectors.

IMPORTANT:

1. Never mix both type of injectors on the same engine!

2. Always reprogram with latest available software after installing new injectors!

This was fixed in DEC 2009 onwards production your Yaris was built Feb 2009 all this information is available from www.toyota-tech.eu.

Devon

Thanks for the reply Devon that's a tremendous help! Time to go back to Toyota...

• 1 month later...

Okay so after this time Toyota have replaced the injectors, I got the car back yesterday but the problem still persists. +2*C this morning and it struggled starting with black smoke for a few seconds then the engine ran smoothly, exactly the same as before. Any ideas?

I know you say the garage checked the EGR valve - but short of removing it.. there is no way of checking..

I would suggest you either:

have a clogged up EGR valve

or a failed glow plug.

Since the car has done few miles, it is likely sooted up due to short journeys: EGR valve.

Glow plugs are easily checkable.

• 8 months later...

I've just got the Yaris back again from Toyota, to date they've changed injectors and glow plugs, and recently the turbo, vacuum pump and bottom block with new. It has also had another ECU flash.

... and it still smokes on cold start.

I'm not sure whether this is normal or not, but I have never seen a diesel this new with such low mileage (currently 29k) that smokes from cold start. It also has a rough idle for a few seconds when starting. I'll use Shell V-Power in it as it seems not to smoke as much when that happens, but it has been burning a fair bit of oil (possibly what is causing the smoke on cold start, oil seeping past the valve seals?).

Time to look at getting a new car I think... Not a Toyota this time around. I was impressed by my Corolla but this Yaris has given my confidence in Toyota a serious knock.

• 1 year later...

OP

Did you ever get to the bottom of this and get a fix?

I've just got the Yaris back again from Toyota, to date they've changed injectors and glow plugs, and recently the turbo, vacuum pump and bottom block with new. It has also had another ECU flash.

... and it still smokes on cold start.

I'm not sure whether this is normal or not, but I have never seen a diesel this new with such low mileage (currently 29k) that smokes from cold start. It also has a rough idle for a few seconds when starting. I'll use Shell V-Power in it as it seems not to smoke as much when that happens, but it has been burning a fair bit of oil (possibly what is causing the smoke on cold start, oil seeping past the valve seals?).

Time to look at getting a new car I think... Not a Toyota this time around. I was impressed by my Corolla but this Yaris has given my confidence in Toyota a serious knock.

Nalhelm was last active on the forum on 25th January 2014 - so you may not get a response.

Nalhelm was last active on the forum on 25th January 2014 - so you may not get a response.

Lol thanks MOD

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links