Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres

Homer 35

I brought a low mileage 59 plate Prius direct from a main dealer, and I'm questioning as to the type of tyre fitted.

I had to change one after a recent pot hole incident which; replacement ordered and fitted, but whilst waiting I searched the Michelin site and it states that the tyre is for summer use only!!!!!!! and must not be driven in snow or ice.

Has anyone else had issues with this problem of incorrect tyres being fitted?

The majority of cars made for the UK market are fitted as standard with summer tyres - my Auris is. I've looked at the tyre choices for the Prius on the Michelin site and, although the site differentiates between summer and winter tyres, I couldn't see where it states that summer tyres must not be driven in snow or ice.

To the OP - is this your first car? Just asking...

Please look at the link below; http://www.tirerack....odel=Primacy HP

How valid this is I don't know, but it could guide as to why the car is a pig in snow. + I'm 52 and have driven all types of vehicles in all condiditions.

I love the Prius for what it is, but don't feel safe with these tyres.

Hi Homer 35 -

Didn't mean to sound flippant, but your post suggested that you were querying why the (second-hand) car you had bought from a dealer didn't have winter tyres on it?

If so, I wouldn't expect any dealer to sell cars with tyres that suited the weather outside, merely what was either a standard fit and road legal. Would you have complained if the car had winter tyres and you had bought it in June?

Unless, you were told that Primacy HPs were winter tyres, in which case I'd be right up the dealer's @rse (pardon my french)

Tirerack is an American site. Michelin make tyres in several countries including the US (eg having bought BF Goodrich and the US operation of Uniroyal), and the American version of the HP Primacy probably has differences to the European version, to suit the American market. Don't know what tyre size you have, but in the 2012 Which? test of tyres, the Michelin HP Primacy was an equal second 'Best Buy' in 205/55/16's (the size I have on my Auris). Admittedly the HP Primacy only got a score of 3 stars for wet grip, whereas the first placed Best Buy (Continental PremiumContact 2) scored 4 stars.

Just wondering, but had you purchased that car in summer and it had winter tyres on, would you have complained too?

If you don't feel safe with summer tyres in winter, then you're free to change them.

I

I've had the Michelin primacy HPs on mine from new and had no problems on snow in the last 3 winters. I've never bought winter tyres for any car I've owned and the Prius is one of the easiest cars I've had to drive on snow. If yours is a "Pig" in the snow then either there isn't enough tread on the tyres or you're not driving it right. Put it in eco mode for gentler acceleration and it pulls away easily.

The stock Bridgestone LRR tyres are summer tyres and are useless in the snow, even with 4 or 5mm. The simple choice is put up with it if you only get a couple days snow a year or buy some winter or snow tyres. Obviously take them off in summer time.

It's hardly the cars fault it comes with summer tyres which are suitable for 330 days a year. I can't work some folk out.

THANK YOU TO THOSE THAT REPLIED WITH SENSIBLE ANSWERS, BUT PERHAPS MY ORIGINAL REQUEST WAS MIS-GUIDED; THE POINT I WAS TRYING TO SEE IF ANYONE ELSE HAD HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND WONDERED IF THE MANUFACTURER HAD A RESPONSIBILITY TO WARN DRIVERS OF THE "SUMMER ONLY TYRE" BEING FITTED.

No need to shout!

Manufacturers fit summer tyres as standard for the UK market. They are not 'summer only' tyres, and can be safely used all year.

In recent years, the use of winter tyres has become more popular in the UK, due to their better grip in cold temperatures and snowy/icy conditions. There is no UK legal requirement to fit winter tyres during the winter season, unlike some other parts of Europe.

In the UK, it is the car owner's choice whether or not to use winter tyres.

Interestingly according to the new EU tyre labelling system, on the Michelin website the 215//45/17 HP Primacy (summer tyre) is rated as an 'A' tyre for wet grip, whereas the HP Primacy Alpin PA3 (the equivalent winter tyre) is rated as a 'C' for wet grip.

I don't really think the dealers have any obligations regarding the type of tyres fitted as long as they are legal. As far as I know, there's no such thing as a 'summer only tyre'. They're 'all season' tyres and, assuming reasonable amounts of tread, they're usable all year round. There's no law in the UK mandating any particular type of tyre at any particular time of the year.

Personally I prefer using winter tyres in winter. The stopping distance and grip with winter tyres fitted in freezing conditions is far superior than 'all season' tyres and that's the important thing really. Who cares if it takes longer to get going anyway...getting round that corner without ending up in the field and stopping before you hit that lamp post is far more important.

Having said that...The second generation Prius can be a pig to even get going on snow and ice due to the ridiculously over-active traction control. If your tyres are lacking in tread you'll notice it a lot more than on a later model.