Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Importing Hiace Camper From Japan?

jpcoetzee

On holiday in New Zealand my wife and I hired a Toyota HiAce campervan and we loved it. So I am going to import one from Japan...

Has anyone here done this? Any advice?

Also I may import a plain "tin-top" van and add a hightop roof (and fit an interior). Can anyone recommend a van conversion company that will add a hightop roof to a HiAce, preferably around Bristol?

many thanks

• 4 months later...

Buy it already converted in Japan, saves messing around. There are a few sites that list vans ready for importation into the UK. They do all the paperwork and make sure it is fit for UK roads etc.

• 4 years later...

We have a Toyota HiAce LBW, conversion too a campervan.

Suggest you have a look at Wellhouse Leasure, they are down your way, they do conversions, of Toyota's.....not sure if they still do the Imports  ??

You can mention our names, Kim & Isabell, from Prestwick, Scotland, as we got our vehicle from them  !!

This thread is 5 years old, Kim..so I'm not sure if your advice will be seen...but it's always good to see recommendations passed on.

We are looking for information on what type of Bearing is used on the rear wheel of a Toyota HiAce Van, LWB, 2.4cc petrol, rear wheel drive ?? It has a 40mm I/D and a 90mm O/D.......but is it a ball, roller, or tapered roller bearing ????

At the present time it has a ball bearing, which is running fine. However, the MOT man say there is a small amount of movement on the wheel !!? This is the same comment made on last MOT,   the bearing was then changed, 6000 miles ago !!?

Thus the question, are the Toyota Garage using the right bearing ?? 

26 minutes ago, RUToyota said:

This thread is 5 years old, Kim..so I'm not sure if your advice will be seen...but it's always good to see recommendations passed on.

Ouch, sorry......I'm learning !!

Have to admit, your reply did raise a chuckle