Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2 D4D Fuel Consumption

hollins58

Hi

I have a 2007 facelifted Avensis T Spirit 2.2 D4D 150 Tourer which I've had from nearly new. About 16 months ago after major EGR valve problems, I complained to Toyota and with the help of my local dealer, they decided to fit a new engine. Previously I was getting mid 50's MPG. With the new engine and after 30k miles, the fuel consumption is very low 40's - a 20% reduction. The dealer has fitted new injectors and reset the engine management but with no benefit. The tyres are the right pressure, I don' t keep anything heavy in the car, it has a full dealer service history and I don't think my driving style has changed on the same daily commute.

I would welcome any suggestions to improve the fuel consumption. I has been suggested to me that a blocked DPF may be to blame, but I don't think this model has one fitted.

Thanks in advance for any helpful ideas.

until Dec. '12 I had a 2007 facelift 2.2 TR Tourer & the only time that I got mpgs in the mid-50s was with almost purely motorway work (admittedly I'm not the slowest of drivers).

Under more normal mixed motoring I worked on an average of 42mpg during the Winter & 45 during the Summer & it's been my impression that that fitted in pretty well with most other users.

Are your mpg figures taken from the computer or by filling up & then working out?

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I measured tank fill to tank fill having checked the total miles. My journey is typically at 50-60 mph on A roads and some dual carriageway. I knew it was good but it did this consistently in the three - four years before the engine was replaced.

All thoughts / suggestions welcomed!

• 2 weeks later...

It is on the light up dash display. That reads how many miles you've done, when it needs a service etc... Would there be a problem with that, you think?

Thanks for al the replies.

The car has been serviced by a main dealer from new and has only recently serviced by the main dealer again. I am now considering new tuning chip from Lindop Toyota (about £375 + fitting) as I have been told Toyota have updated the engine tuning to avoid the need for another engine. The price for this is poorer fuel consumption and as /i do a lot of miles, the cost to me is £500 extra a year in fuel. The new tuning chip is likely to improve the fuel consumption and in theory will have a payback with within 12 months. All very expensive. But cheaper than changing the car !

fitting a tuning box constitutes a modification & therefore your insurance company should be notified.

Some will increase your premium & some won't - in my case they were proposing increasing it by 15% which on my premium/mileage basically negated the fuel saving.

Even if they don't if you assume that the Lindop kit+fitting=£450, that it increases your mpg by 10% & that a gallon of diesel is £6.50 you still need to do ~35,000 miles just to recoup your initial outlay.

Thanks for the reply. You're absolutely right that the time taken to recoup the outlay is considerable but the mileage I do (and the fact the engine has already been replaced at Toyota's expense) suggest it's worth taking the risk. I will check the MPG for the first month after fitting and can always re-sell the unit if need be. I've also checked out the insurance and it adds about £30 so I am viewing this as another month or so before the cost is recovered. Once I have seen the results I'll post an update on here.

Thanks again for the thoughts and information.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links