Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dim Avensis Headlights

Dave Nibbo

I have a 2004 Avensis 2.4 TSpirit which I think must have been one of the first models t have the HID headlamps fitted (xenon as everyone seems to call them). My problem is that my dipped headlights have gradually become very dim ... the main beam (Halogen) is fine). My Toyota dealer suggested the lenses have become opaque and the whole units need to be replace at £900. I have tried replacing the HID bulbs and replacing one whole unit with a replacement unit (albeit second user so the same age) and I have done some inspections of the lenses which look perfectly clear to me. Just wondered if anyone had any similar experiences or ideas cos I am not altogether convinced the lenses are the problem.

thanks alan333 - I didn't realise there were reflectors in there ...... but when I think about it that's obvious. I have a spare headlamp unit so I will experiment on it.

You're welcome, but give Madmax12 a thanks for writing the how-to. I humbly only gave the link.

Edit...I see you have already passed on your thanks. My mistake.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know - I ended up buying a new reflector from headlightregen on eBay and now my lights are a million times brighter. I am so pleased. Headlightregen couldn't have been more helpful so I am a happy bunny. Thanks for your help. regards.

Just to let you know - I ended up buying a new reflector from headlightregen on ebay and now my lights are a million times brighter. I am so pleased. Headlightregen couldn't have been more helpful so I am a happy bunny. Thanks for your help. regards.

Can you post a link from eBay with that reflector? here or pm Thanks!

Cant see where it says that's new - if it is the it should be better. I spent ages looking for one using all the tools such as breakerlink but each time it turned out that the units being sold were not the xenon ones I needed. Also - I paid £70 for a used headlight and t was just the same as the one I had. Finally I needed two. If you can get 2 brand new xenons for that sort of price the go for it..

buying second hand headlight and taking it apart will have same defect reflectors simply burn out, replacement parts are very poor quality and have alot shorter lifespan not mention weak brackets any hand made respraying or tape it will affect light distortion,

Are you sure thats xennon headlight? i belive its cheap conversion of H7 thats comes so cheap

Cant see where it says that's new - if it is the it should be better. I spent ages looking for one using all the tools such as breakerlink but each time it turned out that the units being sold were not the xenon ones I needed. Also - I paid £70 for a used headlight and t was just the same as the one I had. Finally I needed two. If you can get 2 brand new xenons for that sort of price the go for it..

Of course they are brand new headlamps... Motorfactor website ... Not a scrapers

Yeah brand new stright from china

There is only 1 orginal manufacturer in the world and its KOITO

rest whatever the price are replacment parts

Orginal new koito can be bought from dealership and its around 1000 pounds for a set

/EDITED/

http://www.micksgara...168583&pk=46E7A

Ive actually emailed the garage and asked some questions BLACK are my questions, RED are response from garage, here are the results:

Is that headlight ORGINAL? or replacement part, - This is a replacement part.

is it xennon headlight? - No, halogen. <-----------

what sort of warranty it have? One year manufacturer warranty

Where it have been manofactured? Asia

and what company made it? TYC

please dont tell me i have joined the shotgun target brigade advensis t3x 08 plate

i wasnt threatenign to shoot the members lol

i hate hid lights with a passtion is all.... dont see the point in em apart from blinding on comming traffic

i live in the country and on country lanes with trees on the side of the road its hard to see where the road ends and the trees start with them coming towards u

also they didnt seem to help the guy see me that headed straight for me when i was over taking a caravan up a hill on my second lane and put me in the side of the caravan admitedly it was the driver not the lights fault.....

i guess i dont like the ones that rnt fitted as standered...... manufactures spend fortunes developing thier cars to get em through stringent safty laws i dont see the need to upgrade em....

Yeah brand new stright from china

There is only 1 orginal manufacturer in the world and its KOITO

rest whatever the price are replacment parts

Orginal new koito can be bought from dealership and its around 1000 pounds for a set

/EDITED/

http://www.micksgara...168583&pk=46E7A

Ive actually emailed the garage and asked some questions BLACK are my questions, RED are response from garage, here are the results:

Is that headlight ORGINAL? or replacement part, - This is a replacement part.

is it xennon headlight? - No, halogen. <-----------

what sort of warranty it have? One year manufacturer warranty

Where it have been manofactured? Asia

and what company made it? TYC

well one year warranty so u can send them back when you are'nt happy. worth a try anyway. most of the car parts are replacement parts from asia.

Warranty is great thing but youre buying halogen headlight not xennon its alot dimmer (by 90%)

you cannot buy new xennon headlight.

Did you acctually fitted such replacment parts?

This is what you do buying those lights

post-128790-0-45503000-1361270208_thumb. post-128790-0-51154400-1361270225_thumb.

Pictures provided by google

i still dont get the benifit of the hid lights all thoes pictures prove to me is that im right to say they dazzle on comming traffic.

im sure i can find 10 people that i know or r friends of friends that have given up driving at night because they r dazzled by the lights of on comming cars that have these hid lights.

coop

I do agree with cooper that those hid lights are too bright and make other people in the traffic blinded for a while. I don't like to meet cars with hid lights when it is dark.

If you look at those pictures it is obvious that a driver with haalogen lights with eyes adjusted to that dim light will be blinded when a car with those bright hid lights is coming. It is great light from hid lights, but the differance between hid and halogen make the halogen driver blinded.

Here we are talking about orginal xenon light,

HID is Chinese production same stuff thats TYC.

xenon HID is a replacment of orginal xenon light.

Orginals produce more clearer and powerfull light beam thats what the pictures show, they will not blind you on the road.

the pics clearly show the light on the wrong side of the road (asnd yes i can see they r driving on the right (but the ight is clearly showing on the left hand carridgeway as well) they also show a wider beam patten that is much less defined. I guess we will have to agree to disagree :)

coop