Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heated Rear Window

high10

Anyone have problems with the HRW ?

After about a year a filament failed about 1/3 the way up the screen. Rear screen replaced under warranty. Now a couple of years later (and fast approaching the end of warranty), I think the very top filament has failed.

Have seen no complaints on here so have I just been unlucky or is this a known snag? (Always been very careful not to allow large objects in boot to rub on the wndow).

Vehicle is an early 2010 4.3 (I think - that's the one with no spare and just before the facelift at the front end).

Many thanx for any advice.

Anyone have problems with the HRW ?

After about a year a filament failed about 1/3 the way up the screen. Rear screen replaced under warranty. Now a couple of years later (and fast approaching the end of warranty), I think the very top filament has failed.

Have seen no complaints on here so have I just been unlucky or is this a known snag? (Always been very careful not to allow large objects in boot to rub on the wndow).

Vehicle is an early 2010 4.3 (I think - that's the one with no spare and just before the facelift at the front end).

Many thanx for any advice.

Hi there and welcome to TOC.

You say that you are careful about anything rubbing on the rear screen. This is by far the most common failure with this sort of technology. It is crucial that NOTHING rubs on the screen when the vehicle is in motion so the use of padding ( pillows, blankets, foam rubber etc ) between objects in the rear of the car and the screen may cause as many problems as it solves. This is definitely NOT an accusation but a general heads-up for anyone picking up the thread with a search in the future. The tie down points in the boot are very useful for preventing loads moving and are probably one of the most underused features of the RAV.

After mechanical damage, we are left with chemical attack. It's difficult to think of every possible cause, but a dog who travels in the boot and licks the inside of the screen could be a problem as could some cleaning products and the way they need to be applied and buffed off.

I'm guessing that the vehicle is still under warranty so there will be no need for a repair. If this is not the case, repair products ( essentially a fairly viscous paint with a high silver content ) are available. I'm fairly sure that Halfords stock at least one variety, but an eBay search is likely to yield a more economical solution.

It would be well worth inspecting the failed track with the highest power magnifying glass you can find to see if the failure is a very short gap, probably the result of a scratch, or a thinning or narrowing of the track which could be the result of a manufacturing fault. I worked in the manufacturing industry many years ago, so believe me, it is pretty difficult to measure a potential problem using resistance and just as difficult to spot one visually, particularly as modern designs use very narrow tracks. The materials used in the process will have improved immeasurably since my day but the application process is almost certainly similar.

further to the comments from Chris, when washing the screen interior, it is important when cleaning the screen to always wipe from side to side, never up and down, to avoid the risk of pulling on a wire element.

I wouldn't consider it a common problem. I think somebody damaged one not long ago but other than that they are normally trouble free.

Not that uncommon! Bought my T180 3 months ago and bottom third rear screen element hasn't worked since then. As I have a T 3yr warranty I'll wait for other probs to appear before I book it in for repair.

What I found annoying is that the dogs travelled in the back of a BMW E34 525 tds touring and the rear screen never, ever had a problem, not in 5 years of them riding in the back. One trip in a 2004 Yaris and the rear screen was shot (thought it was "just one of those things". Screen replaced - one trip - screen gone. And not cheap to replace either.

Someone please tell me why the Toyota screens are so poor?

I'm lucky in that with both our Ravs, neither rear screen has suffered a dramatic loss, just one line on the XT5