Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius In A Cold Climate

Surv1v0r

Hi

I was wondering how well / badly the Toyota Prius would cope with very cold weather. Recently I have been spending some time in the French Alps - I have never seen a single Prius there and wondered whether their batteries would have problems in the cold?

As it happens, I have never seen a Prius anywhere in France although I have seen quite a few RAVs.

On another front, I know that Lexus have a four wheel drive hybrid in their range (RX450) but so far as I can tell Toyota have no plans to produce a 4WD Prius - any idea why not?

The prius is used as taxis in Canada very successfully and it gets pretty chilly there -30 c and lower.

There are owners in Canada and Alaska on the US forum and they have reported temperatures down to -40c. There are owners in Australia who have posted pictures at +45c.

In the UK the car will have absolutely no issues with the temperature range.

My son uses his Gen 3 Prius in the French Alps regularly. He has expierenced no problems except snow tyres are essential and he has to use windscreen fluid neat.

Hi

As it happens, I have never seen a Prius anywhere in France although I have seen quite a few RAVs.

You do see a few but I agree they are pretty rare.

I think the reason is two-fold. The French in general prefer to buy things that are made in France. The second reason is that the Prius is very expensive here and the fuel benefit is wiped out by petrol costing over 10% more than diesel.

• 2 weeks later...

You do see a few [Priuses in France] but I agree they are pretty rare.

I think the reason is two-fold. The French in general prefer to buy things that are made in France. The second reason is that the Prius is very expensive here and the fuel benefit is wiped out by petrol costing over 10% more than diesel.

Ah, yes, thanks for that. I hadn't thought the latter part of that one through. I do know that diesel is cheaper than petrol in France. My local Toyota dealer has tried to persuade me to replace my Picnic with a RAV4 but I think that they look a tad too "agricultiral".

I also know that the French are (admirably) keen to support their home motor industry. I can't say that I am that keen on current French cars although I have in the past owned and loved five or six Citroëns.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links