Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4.4 Feedback.

silly sausage

Put it like this, the RAV range starts in Finland at €35274 about £30K and here they start from £22,595

The Premium version in Finland is €6,943 about £40,800 and the Invincible Auto about £30K

Not sure on Finlands tax situation, but if it's anything like Denmark the import duty / tax situation is horrific, so I am told by my cousin who lives in Denmark

Kingo :thumbsup:

Yes, the 2.2 D4D 150ps manual with Premium trim level is around 46k euros. Of course on top of that you need some sort of engine heater, winter tyres and alloys for them + most people buy towball also as we Finns like to drive around with a carriage. So that is around 1700 - 3000 euros more. Total will be close to 50 000 euros.

In the premium there's pretty much everything you would ever imagine. Full leather, electric seat adjustment with memory for the driver, satnav with local audio guidance, auto dim mirror + rain sensors, HID lights, keyless system, power tailgate, 18" alloys, rearview camera + parking sensors to the rear. Plus on the premium you can choose an optional safety pack which includes lane depature warning, automatic main beam and blind spot monitor.

Only thing missing is the panoramic roof, but that's a very small minus.

The car taxes here are terrible (not as bad as in Denmark though). But using the car is pretty cheap. There's an annual road tax of around 150 euros for gasoline cars and for the diesels you need to pay an extra diesel tax of about 500 euros on top the road tax per year. Insurance with full coverage is around 500 euros per year.

Leaving stuff out from your cars is pretty lame in my opinion. Why leave out HID lights for example? I just can't understand the reason for that.

Just looking at brochure facts and figures, the petrol engine makes a lot more sense. Cheaper to buy and service, better performance for only slightly less mpg than the 2.2 auto, and petrol is still around 8p a litre cheaper than diesel. Maybe I'm missing something here, but all the chat is this thread only considers the diesel option!

• Like 1

You are right but I would like to drive one first. The other consideration is selling it at the end and generally, the diesels are a better punt.

Just looking at brochure facts and figures, the petrol engine makes a lot more sense. Cheaper to buy and service, better performance for only slightly less mpg than the 2.2 auto, and petrol is still around 8p a litre cheaper than diesel. Maybe I'm missing something here, but all the chat is this thread only considers the diesel option!

Seems to be like marmite - either love or hate!

Most RAVs for sale seem to be diesel so most people are going to favour them. I am sure the large torque is what attracts them. I owned a 2.2 manual RAV and it was a fine car but I didn't like the frequency of the diesel noise - I have also owned a diesel Previa and a diesel Landcruiser and again I didn't like the frequency of the engine revving but in other respects they were great cars. Our petrol RAV appeals to my ears but I do find it difficult to pull away smoothly and quietly - I don't have this trouble with other cars - I think an auto petrol would solve that problem. To be honest I would be happy, or perhaps with the greater torque happier, with a diesel auto if I did long trips and high annual mileage but as I don't a petrol makes more sense to me (cheaper to buy, perhaps service, and no problems diesel related problems like DPF and DMF (is this only on manual diesels?) and the like.

But as most people will own diesels I expect I will be shot down !

Cheers,

David

Seems to be like marmite - either love or hate!

Most RAVs for sale seem to be diesel so most people are going to favour them. I am sure the large torque is what attracts them. I owned a 2.2 manual RAV and it was a fine car but I didn't like the frequency of the diesel noise - I have also owned a diesel Previa and a diesel Landcruiser and again I didn't like the frequency of the engine revving but in other respects they were great cars. Our petrol RAV appeals to my ears but I do find it difficult to pull away smoothly and quietly - I don't have this trouble with other cars - I think an auto petrol would solve that problem. To be honest I would be happy, or perhaps with the greater torque happier, with a diesel auto if I did long trips and high annual mileage but as I don't a petrol makes more sense to me (cheaper to buy, perhaps service, and no problems diesel related problems like DPF and DMF (is this only on manual diesels?) and the like.

But as most people will own diesels I expect I will be shot down !

Cheers,

David

I must admit that I'm inclined to agree with these comments about petrol-vs-diesel. I've had a D4D Rav 4.2 & an LC4, both of which were excellent cars but the diesel always seemed a bit agricultural. Now I reckon this is down to Toyota's particular characteristics because I've also had a Saab 9.5 & BMW 520, both diesels and both much, much more refined than the Toyotas.

But generally, I've always found our petrol auto RAV a joy to drive. Much more refined than the diesel RAV, smoother, quieter and overall just nicer. And, as David has said, none of the DPF (& DMF) problems that come with the diesels.

Well, I finally went to have a look at the 4.4 today - Invincible in Decuma Grey.

Sorry to say it was a massive disappointment. When I first saw it, from the front, in the showroom I mistook it for a Verso. then, the more I looked it over, the more I thought that I had stumbled into a Kia or a Ford dealer by mistake - the bonnet and caban back to the B-pillar is Sportage whilst the rest of it is pure Kuga! You'd think that Toyota had kidnapped Kia's & Ford's design teams but then they refused to speak to each other.

It's not a RAV, nowhere near; it's just another estate car that happens to have 4-wheel drive. And judging by the photos that I've seen, I was expecting a bit of a wow factor from the interior especially the new dash but it's just drab with no sense of occasion. The finish isn't particularly brilliant either: the leather felt cheap and the driver's seat in particular was short in the leg, which is one thing I especially hate. Nothing about the car feels special. In fact the new model makes the 4.3 look good and that for me is really something because I've never taken to the 4.3!

I'm genuinely sorry about this but the 4.4. definitely won't be on my list when the time comes to change.

• Like 1

Well my Invincible is brilliant, very pleased with it and 6 speed auto is very smooth and changes are hardly noticable, it is much quieter than the T180.

The leather seats are very comfordable and refined - the stitching is very good and those who have looked at the vehicle have been immpressed with the quality of the interior.

Instruments and switches, of course, take some getting used to as expected and the rear lifting door is much better than the side opening ones. But 10 inches longer mean it is very tight in my short garage.

More once I can get some miles in - did not want "moon roof" (horrible name for a "sun" roof) this time around but have SatNav which is a bit diferent from the T180 but at least does have full post code input which is a great improvment - Blue tooth phone system worked right from the go and many thanks to RRG Macclesfield for setting it up for me. Expect to get a spare wheel when it is availavle June/July this year.

Brand new T180 wheel and tire is for sale now - martinguy@aol.com

Guy

Well my Invincible is brilliant, very pleased with it and 6 speed auto is very smooth and changes are hardly noticable, it is much quieter than the T180.

The leather seats are very comfordable and refined - the stitching is very good and those who have looked at the vehicle have been immpressed with the quality of the interior.

Instruments and switches, of course, take some getting used to as expected and the rear lifting door is much better than the side opening ones. But 10 inches longer mean it is very tight in my short garage.

More once I can get some miles in - did not want "moon roof" (horrible name for a "sun" roof) this time around but have SatNav which is a bit diferent from the T180 but at least does have full post code input which is a great improvment - Blue tooth phone system worked right from the go and many thanks to RRG Macclesfield for setting it up for me. Expect to get a spare wheel when it is availavle June/July this year.

Brand new T180 wheel and tire is for sale now - martinguy@aol.com

Guy

I wish you well with it, Guy. At the end of the day, it's each to his own. :thumbsup:

But I picked up a Land Cruiser brochure while I was there. I loved my LC4 & that might be the way to go for me in the future.

Well, I finally went to have a look at the 4.4 today - Invincible in Decuma Grey.

The finish isn't particularly brilliant either: the leather felt cheap and the driver's seat in particular was short in the leg, which is one thing I especially hate. Nothing about the car feels special. In fact the new model makes the 4.3 look good and that for me is really something because I've never taken to the 4.3!

I'm genuinely sorry about this but the 4.4. definitely won't be on my list when the time comes to change.

Hmmm...Interesting. I thought the finish was very good especially compared to the previous tractor design cabin ;).

Also the drivers seat was excellent. Very good support for the feet. But I,'m just 176cm tall so might be that for longer people it's not that good. My previous T27 Avensis had a far worse drivers seat.

But there's still some quite rude elements in the cabin that makes this stand out as a SUV. I had a look at the new Verso in the showroom and boy that car had some nice interior design. The new nappa leather steering wheel felt good under your hands :)

Does using the new sport mode reduce the mpg

You are only allowed half a guess at the answer to that one, Mucker......

I left off "by much" in error :flowers:

You are only allowed half a guess at the answer to that one, Mucker......
The "SPORT" Mode on the RAV4.3 SR150 doesn't see to affect the MPG and *may* actually improve it according to one persons experience.

Is the Auto box on the 4.4 carried over from the 4.3? Sounds like it probably is.

The last two interations of Sat-Nav on the RAV4.3 both have full 7 digit postcode functionality also, so if comparing the new 4.4 with the last version of the 4.3, the differences are lessened really compared to say a T180 or a 140BHP XT-? version

I do like the look of the dash, but found the full leather seats very slippy when I tried on (admittedly only in the showroom) and preferred the SR half-leather style.

I rode in Guy's 4.4 auto today. Same engine and box but it has an eco setting to make it change up as well as a sport so 3 modes in all. The snug cabin ambience is present so it looks consistent with the one I test drove - completely free of creaks and ticks.. Also engine is quieter too. Has anyone notice how the bonnet is scooped into the windscreen? - I really like it. There is a very annoying reflection from the dash aluminium accents that cut across the mirrors which is a disappointing error. The doors have a wonderful feel of quality when opening and closing them. I like how the chrome on the grill carries through into the headlights.

I don't like how the centre dash overhangs the lower console. You have to lean right back to see under and there are some switches down there. The brakes have a very powerful servo which gives the pedal a soft feel. Quite a lot of brake squeal at 170 miles especially when cold. That might well go with some miles on it.

Don't, I repeat don't have front parking sensors. They are a complete PITA.

Isn't interesting how what one person likes another hates, I hated the doors mainly around the closing of them, seeing as it lacerated my finger in the showroom when I was closing it - the metal under the pastic trim at the rear of the drivers door is incredibly sharp (black plastic outside, metal inside or the bit the fits up against the rubber seal)

Gus

Out of curiosity, what sort of handbrake does the 4.4 have? I have an Avensis saloon (61 reg) in the workshop today and that has a handbrake type that I've never come across personally and wondered if it is being rolled out across the Toyota range as models updated or replace? The handbrake is a push-button affair by the wheel and you can hear a motor whirring as the button is pressed... Not sure if I like it or not (thinking maybe over-complex?) but it does seem to work well!

No it has a similar arrangement to the 4.3 Hoov but rest assured, electric hand brakes will come. It reduces the risk of granny having a runaway.

I had an electric handbrake on a scenic once. Bit of a problem when going through a car wash, once the front wheels gripped and the attendant tells you to turn off the engine

I had an electric handbrake on a scenic once. Bit of a problem when going through a car wash, once the front wheels gripped and the attendant tells you to turn off the engine

My previous T27 Avensis had electronic handbrake as standard and during the three year ownership I had zero problems with it. Toyota has refined their electronic handbrake quite well I think.

Rav4 had a normal handbrake. And so has the the new Verso.

Had to take a trip to Mr T today to get a four wheel alignment done and while there saw for the

First time a 4.4 in the flesh. It was the top of the range model and have to say that I thought it

Was very very nice. Also thought it was very very BIG.

That bigness might just take me out of a RAV next time.

That bigness might just take me out of a RAV next time.

I am reliably informed that, due to the augmented dimensions of the new Rav, I am apparently driving my last ever new Rav......

Didn't fair too well in Auto express against Ford and Mazda.

Didn't fair too well in Auto express against Ford and Mazda.

I read a similar test, there's also a Rav4.4 v Mazda CX5 UK based test on You Tube and the Mazda comes out on top.