Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.2 Diesel Holding Back

veccyold 1

took car in today as it was holding back as if was running out of fuel when warm .any ideas what this can be thanks.

Funnily enough, I have had two instances of this over the last couple of weeks. Both occurred on cold days, but engine temperature up to normal running temperature. If you accelerated up to 4000 revs in 2nd or 3rd, there was a distinct flat spot which was indicative of running out of diesel. Treated the car to some expensive Shell diesel with a little bit of redex added, thinking that might help to blow any cobwebs away. The issue has however recurred again today.

I don't normally go anywhere near 4000 revs as tend to drive with economy in mind and ever conscious of the current points on my license. Just wonder whether I am paying the penalty of careful driving with a clogged up egr valve or something like that.

Have got 30K on clock from new and redex has always featured in my planning to keep the egr valve and diesel jets clean etc, but seems like to no avail.

Haven't bothered with dealer yet as off on long run to london at weekend and will see how it performs.

Would appreciate any ideas from other owners who may know for sure what these symptoms suggest

havnt heard back from garage as yet may hear somthing tomorrow thursday only bought cars few days ago and piaed off with it already . i can see it going to auction??.

got car back today from garage it was holding back becaucse the fuel filter had collasped inside ???????????? dingles toyota garage.

Maybe the Redex caused the problem .... Only Joking! That is vey strange, was it a genuine Toyota fuel filter?

Glad you got it sorted anyway ... Pete.

it wasnt me who used redex .i dont know if it was a genuine part or pattern .t-spiritpete.its seems to be going alot better ta.

Funnily enough, spoke to Toyota dealer in Gateshead this morning and they have had a number of issues recently with diesel owners. Waxing up of diesel particulate filter caused by continued cold spell. Have recommended early replacement of filter (would normally have been 40,000 miles) at fitted cost inc VAT of £87. Seems reasonable given that filter on eBay is £47.

Euro car parts Bosch fuel filter £18.30. Mikayo fuel filter £13.80. I popped a Mikayo one in recently as the first stage of curing a fault (engine cuts out under full acceleration) that only occurs when its really cold. Guess what? Problem hasn't recurred.

The change of filter is simple enough if a little fiddly to find a route to extract the old filter past all the hoses and pipes etc. The new filter follows the same route in. Disconnect the electrical connector from the bottom of the filter before removing it - prevents the cables twisting and snapping.

Many thanks Druid Boy. Have found the part on Euro Car Parts and might give this a go myself to save £70. Fancy keeping this car for a while yet but no wish to fork out nearly £90 each time the filter needs changing.

If you do have a go make sure you wear gloves and have a nice big absorbant area underneath the car cos a fair bit of diesel spills out. Luckily the lane to my garage is grassed, except for one small area that has died recently.... Also you will need to prime the filter using the pump button on the top of the housing.