Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4D 2.2 Cylinder Head Removal

maverickqwe

Hi all

Is it possible to remove cylinder head on a Avensis 2.2 d4d engine without taking engine out mine is out of all warrantys and I have slight pressure build up in cooling system and a block test came back as gasket failed no overheating or excessive gauge movement still water in expansion tank slight leak out of overflow pipe. Is it worth getting head skim and pressure test and fitting new gasket. Only had car 2 weeks super vehicle could take it back but would lose £200 I have spent. I would like to keep it if I can fix head gasket. Any thoughts

Hi & welcome.

When you say that it is out of warranty how old is it exactly, how many miles on it & what is the service history of it?

Toyota has an unadvertised extended (7 years/180000km) warranty for head gasket failure on these engines under certain circumstances.

If you look/search in this forum, the Auris & the RAV forums you can read up on it. It may well not be just a simple hg replacement required.

It was registered on 23/12/2005 and has done 80345 miles sevice history from 30,000 miles its only a month and a half out of 7 years Toyota gb said no

I dont do many miles if it lasted 20,000 miles I would be happy if it was a head skim and new gasket if its an engine out job to get head of its a lot of work to see if block is ok

Toyota say that these heads shouldn't be skimmed.

You may be best off to cut your losses & take it back.

but does anyone no if you can take off cylinder head in car

I'm not saying it is impossible but i'm 99% sure you will need to have the engine out due to the timing chain and maybe the turbo.

Toyota drop the engine and transmission from below the car so it's not a diy job, also remember that there are other things to consider like piston rings which contribute towards the problem, do not skim the head.

Regards and good luck .... Pete.

Im a motor vehicle technican for many years does anyone no the reason why the head can not be skimmed is it that toyota do not recommend doing this as they like to fix things first time as Nissan and other Jap manufaturers do.

Has anyone done a head gasket with no problems!

Im a motor vehicle technican for many years does anyone no the reason why the head can not be skimmed is it that toyota do not recommend doing this as they like to fix things first time as Nissan and other Jap manufaturers do.

Has anyone done a head gasket with no problems!

Hello,

as a technican myself and from the info that I have the head doesn't normally warp. The gasket also when replaced needs to be the correct one which is a modified type and of the correct thickness, I am led to believe there are 3 different ones to choose from after taking relavent measurements.

My own car has been done 3 years ago without any problems BUT it had a gasket, pistons, big end and main bearings, water pump etc. and a very good tech with 20 years Toyota experience doing it. I was present at times when my engine was rebuilt under warranty and It's a big job believe me but would I fit a gasket if it went again .... probably not. I would part ex the car on the first signs of head gasket trouble and move on, this is a £6K job out of warranty.

If I owned my own workshop with a ramp and stands etc etc I maybe would do it knowing all the other modified parts had already been replaced but as things stand with me at the moment, no chance.

Hopefully others will give you some advice with their experiences as it would be great if you can do it yourself.

Regards Pete

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links