Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slight Squealing Noise.

Mr Roy

Hi,

I would appreciate some help please, to identify the source of a noise.

My wife runs a series 2 RAV 4 registered Feb. 2002 five speed manual. She has had the vehicle for 10 years and if has been trouble free. I maintain the car except for tyre replacements.

My query is that when it is started from cold, and running initially at over 1500 revs. there is a slight squealing noise, similar to a slipping aux. belt, which seems to be originating from the transmission as when the clutch is depressed, the noise stops. When the car is fully warmed up, the noise does not occur.

Many thanks,

Roy

Possibly clutch thrust bearing, which can run like that for years before needing actioned......or could water pump bearing be starting to go, but play goes away when coolant heats it up.....?

Big Kev

Possibly clutch thrust bearing, which can run like that for years before needing actioned......or could water pump bearing be starting to go, but play goes away when coolant heats it up.....?

Big Kev

BK's probably right but have you checked that no neighbourhood cat has taken up nightly residence out of the cold? :blow:

Agree with Kev, should be the thrust bearing, and as he says, it can go on for years.

Many thanks for your replies so far.

Are you suggesting that the clutch release bearing may squeal when not in use i.e. unloaded? I would have thought that, if it was knackered, it would protest when the clutch pedal was depressed but I am willing to be corrected!

A further description of the noise: It is a rapidly pulsing medium to high pitch. Can the transfer box be ruled out?

Regards,

Roy

Drive belts can often squeal (as they polish) after starting, when the alternator demand/drag is high, or when the AC is switched on.

To check whether its is this, while it's squealing, spray a little WD40 towards the belt. If it is belt squeal, the noise will disappear immediately.

On the 4.2, the belt is tensioned automatically, if the tensioner is working OK. Cheap replacement belts can be noisy.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I thought that initially due to the extra load on the belt due to the alternator replacing the start up loss from the Battery but the noise goes when the clutch pedal is depressed.

The aux. belt is fairly new genuine Toyota and tensioner is in good order.

Roy

Does the noise disappear when the clutch pedal is only LIGHTLY pressed - i.e. when the slack on the clutch release mechanism is taken up (and the release bearing contacts the clutch fingers) . . . or only when the clutch is fully depressed?

I assume gearbox and transfer boxes both have decent oil levels.

C.

Hi Chris,

I will check out the clutch query tomorrow.

I replaced the transmission oils 2 years and 4k miles ago and have no leaks.

It will take me longer to check the levels due to inclement weather and my advanced years! but will do.

Thank you.

Roy

My first look would have been a worn alternator...however that is out the window if the clutch activation silences the noise. probably just the thrust bearing turning then settles down when warmed up...maybe dust?? I have a squeak when operating the clutch which I swore was the pedal bush but its actually coming from the clutch mech inside the gearbox. I'm not taking the gearbox out just for that so will wait until I get the next gearbox !!

Drive belts can often squeal (as they polish) after starting, when the alternator demand/drag is high, or when the AC is switched on.

To check whether its is this, while it's squealing, spray a little WD40 towards the belt. If it is belt squeal, the noise will disappear immediately.

On the 4.2, the belt is tensioned automatically, if the tensioner is working OK. Cheap replacement belts can be noisy.

Chris

I got a Forumnal Smack (FS) from Anchorman for suggesting WD on belt(s) Chris, coz it rots the material. Suppose that's subjective depending on volume used.......done it for years.

Big Kev.

Many thanks to those who have replied my query.

I am not in a position to investigate further at the moment due to domestic matters, but wil report back in due course.

Regards,

Roy

I got a Forumnal Smack (FS) from Anchorman for suggesting WD on belt(s) Chris, coz it rots the material. Suppose that's subjective depending on volume used.......done it for years.

Quite right. A brief squirt ONLY to establish the problem (of belt squeal) - NOT for regular use.

Actually a squirt of water is just as good - anything to "alter" the belt surface for a few moments.

Chris

Aye, warm water works quite nice. I get a bit nervouse in case somebody goes a bit mad squirting lubricant on a friction belt!!!