Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav Might Have To Go!

Paulus17

Hello my fellow Rav-ers.

This is a very difficult post to do but needs must as they say. :no:

It looks like we will,well might have to part company with our beloved Rav due to a change in our circumstances for the worse.

So Mrs P wants a cheaper car to run,as if anything happens to the Rav we will just not be able to afford to get it repaired,if ever but you just don't know,plus the fuel consumption is not that great on it,which is summat we have to look at now,along with the insurance/tax??

She likes the Ford Focus,but i like the height of the Rav because of my back.

So is the FF a good choice and economical to run or are there any better alternatives,must be a five door.

We don't want a Vauxhall again. :(

Hello my fellow Rav-ers.

This is a very difficult post to do but needs must as they say. :no:

It looks like we will,well might have to part company with our beloved Rav due to a change in our circumstances for the worse.

So Mrs P wants a cheaper car to run,as if anything happens to the Rav we will just not be able to afford to get it repaired,if ever but you just don't know,plus the fuel consumption is not that great on it,which is summat we have to look at now,along with the insurance/tax??

She likes the Ford Focus,but i like the height of the Rav because of my back.

So is the FF a good choice and economical to run or are there any better alternatives,must be a five door.

We don't want a Vauxhall again. :(

Diesel 4.2 RAV (D4D) perhaps? All the good bits of the RAV & better mpg?

if you have to have a higher standing car, for the sake of your back, then try a Focus C-Max. A close friend who is a martyr to his back has one - an excellent motor, economical, comfy, quiet (diesel) and easy to get in and out of

If you sell the RAV and buy something else , won't you either be paying the dealers profit or if a private purchase, buying an unknown?

What could go horribly wrong on a petrol RAV?

Better the devil you know Paul.... It will no doubt cost money to change the car as another dealer profit will have to be paid and likely you will loose quite a bit the car you have..

Yes your car is expensive to run as is any rav but so is every flipping car on the road ! Plus you have a known quantity with your existing car mate which is something of a risk with any used car..

Insurance is as expensive on a Fiesta 1.4 Auto as it is for our T180 as I'm looking at adding a car for the wife in the form of a Fiesta 1.4 Auto...

Tax is not that far off either ! Our 2.2 Diesel Rav is 220 quid and the wee Fiesta is 170 so no huge savings there mate !

Really very sorry to hear of your circumstance change and if you fancy a chat you have my number..

Take care and best regards

Charlie.

Yes, think carefully mate. prior to buying my Rav I had two focuses. The first was a gem and hardly ever had to repair it and it was fairly economical. However the second one I bought with 7000 on the clock cost me a fortune. Within a year the central locking failed, then the fuel guage, then it had a very bad leak in the front passenger footwell (an inch and a half of water) which took nearly a year to solve. THen the clutch went at 29,000 cost 1800 to fix. I was sick to death of it and whilst they are very nice to drive, they do have their faults.

Yes I'm with charlie on this mate, keep the car you know. Hope your circumstances change for the better.

Keith

if you have to have a higher standing car, for the sake of your back, then try a Focus C-Max. A close friend who is a martyr to his back has one - an excellent motor, economical, comfy, quiet (diesel) and easy to get in and out of

My Dad had a C-Max for three years and HATED it. Chopped in for an Astra in the end which he reckons is a better car.

I had an S-Max thing as a loan car recently. Like driving a tank!!

STICK WITH THE RAV. As said, you can buy a cheap to run car then something could break that costs hundreds. Then where's the savings?

If you must change then why not consider keeping it in the family (auris verso etc)

Dave

If I had to look elswhere I would have a Kia or Hyundai before a Ford any day. There are other alternatives like Suzuki or Daihatsu.

The most underated yet most relaible car is the Daihatsu Sirion or if you want a cheap little brother to the RAV, the Daihatsu Terios is amazingly well built.

I support sticking with the devil you know. I also think Anchs has got it right about the Terios...if our RAV became terminally ill I would look at one of those. Very underrated I think.

I support sticking with the devil you know. I also think Anchs has got it right about the Terios...if our RAV became terminally ill I would look at one of those. Very underrated I think.

Indeed. I've always heard good things about the Terios. I think the only problem is that as Daihatsu haven't imported any for about 2 years now, second-hand stock is minimal.

A little 4x4 that I rate is the previous model Panda. Also the Dacia Duster is worth a look as it's getting some really good reviews and it is seriously cheap.

Nevertheless, as Charlie & others have said, think hard & do your sums before letting the RAV go. There's few worse feelings than the one that goes something like, "Why did I sell that brilliant car?" At the end of the day, if petrol is your biggest expense, it probably means that everything else (servicing, consumables, repairs, etc.) is very reasonable and perhaps cheaper than they might be with something else.

My old sainted uncle, who owned something in excess of 100 vehicles in his lifetime, used to say, if you're only putting your hand in your pocket for petrol then it's cheap motoring. In my experience, leaving aside stupid gas guzzlers, he was generally right.

i looked at a terios when i was planning to change my RAV,and a very good motor it is i reckon, most of the interior seems to be ex 4.2 RAV.

Shame toyota didn't take it on and stick the 1.4 d4d in it, they do sell it as a Toyota Rush inthe Far East. If i remember correctly it does about 35mpg though out of a 1.5 petrol, which wasn't awfully much better then my 2.0 vvti.

i needed to save money so i bought an IQ and kept the RAV (couldn't bear to part with it!)

tony

Well Paul....as usual, it falls to me to be the voice of reason hereon (shurrit......), and can categorically assure you that it is entirely your choice whether to keep or get rid of yer Rav, mucker........

However, please be assured that I will bring (NOT post) a big Glesga kiss AND a slap on the bare legs if you do so as a knee perk reaction to your changing circumstances (which I totally and utterly sympathise with.....once had the choice of a loaf or a 12 string guitar in the house....wife starved near to death....lol.)

Everybody thus far is correct in that the Rav is the devil you know.....some people swear by their Foci, others swear at them.

Try not to guess/worry what it will cost you in the future, but instead reflect on what little it has cost this far......not been a lot really, has it.....? These petrols really do seem to go on forever on clean oil (just changed wife's 3 door oil.....25 minutes.) Remember too, that apart from yer mate with the garage, you have mates oan here who will do their damndest to save ye cash, whether by words or actions, so wait and gauge how things pan oot.

Awribest regardlessly,

Big Kev. (Oil changes no labour charge for folks with bugrt backs......) Knee perk reaction.....God bless censorisation.........

Paul.. Will I ring you ? Miracle of miracles I've found yer number ! You know what I'm like with numbers !!

Was going to ring you anyhow as we become relative nieghbours with our move to Stratford on Avon (Warwickshire) later this month. But do not want to intrude at a bad time ? Up to you matey.......

Thanks everyone for the great advice as per usual :thumbsup:

We will be keeping the Rav for as long as we can but are looking at a cheaper car to run just in case she has to go,which we really do hope she doesn't as as i have stated many times Mrs P has really fell for the Rav and just loves driving it about,even in the snowy conditions which is summat she has always not liked.

We realise what you are all saying about better the devil you know which is true and we just hope if we do keep it it will be as trouble free as much as possible,which i'm sure she will be,fingers crossed.

We was looking at Cmax and was told they are also heavy on the juice??

Never had heared of the Terios to be honest and looks a good alternative??

Kev you made us laugh and you are the voice of reason :dontgetit::laughing:

Charlie by all means give us a call i am here mostt he time,cheers :thumbsup: