Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rrg Huddersfield: Car Untouched But Claimed Recall Work Performed

manishg

Received a steering shaft recall for my 03 Avensis 1.8. Booked with RRG Huddersfield. Dropped the car in the morning, got a call to pick up the car in the afternoon. The car had not been washed for over a month, I was surprised to see no finger marks on the wheels. They were as dirty as I had left. The lady at the desk gave me a health check report stating that oil, coolant and brake fluid levels low. They were absolutely normal though. She also suggested that I get all 4 discs and brake pads changed at a cost of £460. I asked for paperwork regarding recall work done, she said they do not normally provide any paperwork, and refused. She said this work would however be updated on Toyota's database. I was not happy and wrote to Toyota. Toyota called me 2 days later saying that dealers do not normally provide any paperwork, but in this instance the service manager has agreed to write a report. This morning, I received a call from service manager asking me if I can book the car in again. He apologised and accepted that no work, even an inspection had not been done when I first booked the car in. This would have gone unnoticed if I had not called Toyota. I have complained to Toyota again, they accepted that this is a serious issue and would escalate it. She suggested that I book the car with some other dealership this time. However this would mean travelling and no compensation for that from Toyota. So it seems that the dealerships can avoid touching the car, and claim costs from Toyota for repair work done.

That is beyond belief!

What with people being charged a fortune to change an drive belt at a Toyota dealers in Hertfordshire now this one in Yorkshire, Toyota GB need to clamp down.
It's not just about the presentation and a nice cup of free coffee, the car being washed etc it's about basic honest service.
I'm just wondering how many others have been fleeced ... disgusting!!

I would report them to here ..... http://www.dft.gov.u...lls/default.asp

Pete.

Toyota customer relations called again today. The lady was on the phone for about 15 minutes and very apologetic. She however insisted that this was a communication breakdown rather than the dealership having any malicious intentions. I clearly denied communication issues, as it was clearly told to me that the part has been changed. She however was very much defensive of the dealership. No surprise as big dealerships get Toyota a lot of business! She also told me that dealers have an independent way of running their businesses and Toyota only have limited control. Toyota GB has no powers to investigate, this would only be an internal enquiry. My advice to other Avensis owners would be to insist for paperwork for any recall work done in the future.

So they have booked my car in for next weekend. Anybody got any idea how long the steering shaft work take? Also do they check wheel alignment after replacing the steering components?

• 2 months later...

Hi I just read your post. Not surprised at all. This is pretty much a standard throughout all Toyota after sales servicing.

A couple of years ago someone went into the back of my Avensis. Just bumper broken. Send the car to Jemca Toyota in Croydon. A week later I got the car back but just as I about to drive off, I noticed the tip of the back bumper next to the wing was sticking out a bit, spoiling the clean line of the profile. I asked about it but was told, new bumpers do not allays fit. I pushed with finger trying to get the edge back in line with the wing and was surprised that it stayed where I pushed it for about 30 sec and then floated back out. To cut the story short, Jemca Toyota had broken the notches of the bumper fitting and had glued the bumper with silicone, by packing the inside of the bummer with it, hoping it would harden by the time I pick it up. Made a big fuss about it and threatened to call the Insurance company and let them know about the rip off. Manager apologized and promised to order new bumper.

Then another time I booked the car for EGR diagnostic check. They claimed a technician had taken physically the EGR valve and discovered it was faulty. It was meant to be just a computer check not a disassembly of EGR. I looked at the EGR, it was still dirty utouched by anybody. When I challenged them that if they had really taken it off and fitted it back they should have replaced the gasket, then they changed the story they never touched it but just run a computer diagnostic check. When I challenged them that they have not had done that either as I bluffed I had fitted a brand new EGR and the EGR could not be faulty they apologized and got the car back and run a diagnostic check with me present. Although the EGR was never changed the EGR passed the diagnostic check with me present. Then followed another apology and miscommunication claim.

Another time I got the car back from them with a small dent in the rear door. Another apology and they had to fill out the dent and respray the door.

You understand that what you have experienced is pretty much normal, which is why a try to avoid them and do the work if I can.

My car had a service at Jemca croydon paid for by the previous owner who was a 73 year old cancer patient. I bought the car just 1700 miles after the service, checked the oil and it was filthy as was the oil and air filter and spark plugs had probably never been replaced. Dirty tactics charging a pensioner between £200 to £700 a service and not carrying the works out. Needless to say I will never be visiting them and will advice friends and family members to stay clear.

Hi...an interesting read...yet a disgusting read too...i've heard rumours from friends/family about services provided by Toyota but to be fair about other brands of vehicle too...its very upsetting and makes one loose trust in the whole system...i've always been the type to want to carry out any work on my vehicle myself...between me and my other half we always get the job done...we've achieved so many jobs in the years gone...we havent seen a mechanic in years...saying that i've always said if i ever buy a brand new motor i'd still be weary of having to take it for a service to maintain the warranty...so annoying...when i could do a much better job...yet i'd stand loosing my warranty and possibly value on the car...i'd be sticking to buying used motors for life then!

Hope you get the problem sorted...takecare! :donatello:

Unfortunatly this is one of the problems of forums. RRG are not on here to defend themselves. As a group they probably have tens of thousands of happy customers but you never hear from them

I'm not here to defend or otherwise, but you cannot make a judgement on the company based on one or two negative comments, it is the world of forums, great for information but don't base one or two peoples opinions a reason for not using them

I could show you hundreds of letters from completely satisfied customers, but we do get one or two who dont want to use us again, we dont set out to upset customers, but out of thousands a year, you will get a handful. We deal with about 400 customer a week, RRG would probably be ten times that

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hi...an interesting read...yet a disgusting read too...i've heard rumours from friends/family about services provided by Toyota but to be fair about other brands of vehicle too...its very upsetting and makes one loose trust in the whole system...i've always been the type to want to carry out any work on my vehicle myself...between me and my other half we always get the job done...we've achieved so many jobs in the years gone...we havent seen a mechanic in years...saying that i've always said if i ever buy a brand new motor i'd still be weary of having to take it for a service to maintain the warranty...so annoying...when i could do a much better job...yet i'd stand loosing my warranty and possibly value on the car...i'd be sticking to buying used motors for life then!

Hope you get the problem sorted...takecare! :donatello:

I totally agree with you. It is probably not just Toyota but pretty much a problem with most bigger establishments. We seem to live in a culture where it is "cool" if you tell your workmates that you got drunk last night and do not remember a thing or show an attitude like "I can't be bothered", or "do not care" or tell your mates how at work you bodged up some customer's car.

I met a mechanic who was bragging how he was told by his boss to tighten the 12 bolts on the block of the engine and in the process snapped 2 or the 12 bolts. His boss has ordered him to keep quiet and glue up the heads of the bolts and let the customer drive off.

Professionalism and care for what we do has become almost an extinct commodity.

I deal with it by trying to do whatever work I can do myself.

left mine in for steering recall and steering is off! so no they dont align it!! kingo it only takes 1 customer to be injured or worse..but to tell the customer work was done is not on..how many more people not got their work done? fair play to ya manishg!

Unfortunatly this is one of the problems of forums. RRG are not on here to defend themselves. As a group they probably have tens of thousands of happy customers but you never hear from them

I'm not here to defend or otherwise, but you cannot make a judgement on the company based on one or two negative comments, it is the world of forums, great for information but don't base one or two peoples opinions a reason for not using them

I could show you hundreds of letters from completely satisfied customers, but we do get one or two who dont want to use us again, we dont set out to upset customers, but out of thousands a year, you will get a handful. We deal with about 400 customer a week, RRG would probably be ten times that

No dis-respect to you Parts-King...and fair do's when you state...

"Unfortunately this is one of the problems of forums. RRG are not on here to defend themselves. As a group they probably have tens of thousands of happy customers but you never hear from them"...

But when you read what sort of errors that they are making...whether intentional or not...that could lead to some very serious consequences...and so deserve to be exposed and warn others...so that others may be more cautious enough to want to double check that the work has been carried out! :donatello:

No dis-respect to you Parts-King...and fair do's when you state...

"Unfortunately this is one of the problems of forums. RRG are not on here to defend themselves. As a group they probably have tens of thousands of happy customers but you never hear from them"...

But when you read what sort of errors that they are making...whether intentional or not...that could lead to some very serious consequences...and so deserve to be exposed and warn others...so that others may be more cautious enough to want to double check that the work has been carried out! :donatello:

I am sure every main dealer has a happy customers. But knowing what is going on behind the curtains you seem to question even those who drove off happy, Especially when some of those oblivious and happy customers go back to the garage a week later and told that there is something else now that needs to be sorted out at further cost.

The proverb "Ignorance is bliss" comes to mind. So definitely the less you know the happier one would be but at what expense.

Do not ask too many questions, do not look under the bonnet, be happy and do not sweat the small stuff. Jemca Toyota or RRG will look after your wallet, after all they have been in the business for donkey years. But what business exactly?

A pretty shallow way of looking at things......I wonder what line of business you are in?

Sam I reiterate I am not here to justify RRG or any other company, but they are being run down here by two people. Just two. Now as we know there are always two sides to every story, we only know one side, I would hold off making an assumption that a company is poor based on two comments. I am all for name and shame, but you need to see both sides of the coin to make a judgement, and if proven to be shoddy, they deserve everything they get, but until then?....................

A pretty shallow way of looking at things......I wonder what line of business you are in?

Sam I reiterate I am not here to justify RRG or any other company, but they are being run down here by two people. Just two. Now as we know there are always two sides to every story, we only know one side, I would hold off making an assumption that a company is poor based on two comments. I am all for name and shame, but you need to see both sides of the coin to make a judgement, and if proven to be shoddy, they deserve everything they get, but until then?....................

Totally agree with you on that

TOC Members are reminded that issues with individual dealers should be taken up with the Dealer Principle concerned rather than "Bad mouthing" the dealer on the TOC Forum where the dealer may not have the right to reply

Remember that there is always two sides to every story!

Speaking of which, what ever happened to the dealer rating thing on this site? That was really useful!

I find you can't judge a whole group, but rather just the individual franchises.

I used to service my ickle Yaris at a small Jemca place and never had a problem but it was closed down, moved and merged with another one, and I've had lots of issues with this new place so far where I've been billed for things that clearly haven't been done (Small things like the airfilter and remote Battery, but even tho' these things are relatively minor they make me lose confidence in whether that the stuff I can't check has been done!).

Speaking of which, what ever happened to the dealer rating thing on this site? That was really useful!

Very true, it was excellent!

Bring it back admins???

I find you can't judge a whole group, but rather just the individual franchises.

I used to service my ickle Yaris at a small Jemca place and never had a problem but it was closed down, moved and merged with another one, and I've had lots of issues with this new place so far where I've been billed for things that clearly haven't been done (Small things like the airfilter and remote battery, but even tho' these things are relatively minor they make me lose confidence in whether that the stuff I can't check has been done!).

I agree with you and in my book it is normal to feel that way " these things are relatively minor they make me lose confidence in whether that the stuff I can't check has been done!".

Yet according to some this is "A pretty shallow way of looking at things". Maybe it is, but everybody is different which is why "every train has its passengers".

Unlike others you probably have attention to detail and like to check and appreciate the work you paid for.

Some people would actually be happy to find out that being charged for more things usually means more things are done and sometimes rightly so.

I myself have always tried to give the benefit of the doubt, which is why I have had my car booked with Jemca 3 times on different occasions and all three times was bitterly disappointed. Maybe it is a coincidence just with my car, but 3 times in a row.

I agree with Kingo that it is not fair accusing a dealer when they do not have a fair chance of defending themselves, but most of the stories we read here, if honest, also mention apologies which is acceptance of fault.

Accidents when fixing a car and consequently making it worse happen all the time, but charging for work not carried out is not an accident neither going in for new bumper and respray and driving off with a bumper that is fixed with Gripfill.

It's partly our fault; Most of us would like them to own up if they made a mistake instead of waiting until they are caught out.

However, if they admit a mistake they are admitting liability from a legal point of view and far too many people would abuse that; The whole whiplash claim culture is a symptom of that attitude.

If they messed something up on my car, I'd rather they let me know and/or fix it than just keep shtum, but there are people that will then try and push beyond that, maybe even suing, so most companies would rather play it safe.

@Kingo - I thought you'd be keen on seeing that back; Nothing to do with the fact that you were top of the chart I'm sure :P :D

@Kingo - I thought you'd be keen on seeing that back; Nothing to do with the fact that you were top of the chart I'm sure :P :D

Well, funnily enough we were top of the pops :thumbsup: but we put a lot of hard work into getting there. But you were also on there to be shot at too just like any other dealer on there. It could also be reintroduced to stop threads like this running out of control. For instance this thread started off with RRG, now Jemca have been mentioned, who knows where it will end up. The "Dealer rating" was moderated, but you couldn't keep going back and adding to it, a very fair way of doing it me thinks

For what it is worth my experience of Toyota servicing by Dingles Toyota (Norwich) is decidedly good. Long may it stay that way!

Peter

where a dealership is blamed for work not done or shoddy work etc the problem may be down to one or more emplyee who is letting the side down,ive worked along side staff in workshops in the past who's attetude is "Near enough is good enough".

Yes a workshop foreman or manager should do some sort of work quality check,but do they. most customers will not know if the repairs or servicing has been carried out to the acccepted standard or not.

You may verty happy with any work done on your car at your dealership cos each time a 'good guy' has worked on your car but when you find fault cos a cowboy has been working on it you will blame the whole workshop staff.

Ive had a big fall out with my local Dingles toyota dealershp and had a big argument on the phone with their receptionist.

Ive posted before about the last major service that they did on my Auris and how my Average fuel consumption that normaly showed an indicated approx 38 mph.day in day out suddenly had gone down to 29 mph.after the service i noticed that the climate control was swiched off where i normaly leave it on all the time.when i swiched it on the fans and temp had been set at maximum. as the car had only done about 5 miles since the reading was taken for the service.

there is no way that miliage would have dropped with them going a road test on a very cold day when the local roads were covered in ice that day.

I know they had left that car running the workshop with the heating on full to warm themselves or indeed the workshop for a long time to bring that that drop of the average consumption.

The receptionist told me never touch the climate control on a service. i demanded to speak to the service manager and he told me they do test the climate control but agreed the average consumtion should have dropped that amount and would speak to whoever worked on my car and get back to me. but never has.

ive not done much more than 70 miles since the service but the average consumption is graduely working its way up and is showing approx 33 mph. when i refill the fuel tank and stick the amount on fuelly i will print it off and show the service manager and listen to his comment.

The whole incedent has spoilt my opinion of this dealership.I had the usuel letter asking if i was happy with my service which i answered with in the negative.

Although i wasnt here when the forum had a "dealership rating system" it sounds a good idea if we can rate different aspects of our experiences.

My car had to go into a dealership to get a new engine. i am more than happy with the work that was done. just the attitude of the customer service guy that was dealing with me couldnt of been ruder if he called me a 4 eyed ugly twit (regardless of truth or not in that statment:p). I later found out that he has been hauled over the coals for his rudness and been sent on several people skill causes as well as anger managment.

the over all service was good and i was happy but this one person spoilt the whole experience and i wont be going back.

coop

Although i wasnt here when the forum had a "dealership rating system" it sounds a good idea if we can rate different aspects of our experiences.

My car had to go into a dealership to get a new engine. i am more than happy with the work that was done. just the attitude of the customer service guy that was dealing with me couldnt of been ruder if he called me a 4 eyed ugly twit (regardless of truth or not in that statment:p). I later found out that he has been hauled over the coals for his rudness and been sent on several people skill causes as well as anger managment.

the over all service was good and i was happy but this one person spoilt the whole experience and i wont be going back.

coop

Sadly that type of loon does not just work in the motor trade, you can get them anywhere. I recently had to call out a plumber late one Saturday afternoon, he turned up pi*sed stinking of beer and made me feel like it was my fault the boiler stopped working! I showed him the door before I put him through it.....he also wanted money for turning out....that didnt happen either ;)