Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 04 Reg Service

smoky2004

Hi guys,

so ready to service my 04 reg Avensis 1.8 T4, what do I need to change besides the oil and oil filter? I got the oil ready, is it best to get filter from Toyota? If anyone could tell me what else you recommend I change and the kind of price per part I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Just to add it's an automatic and has been converted to run on gas.

oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs.....anything else I should be changing???

Sounds like you have got it covered. Have a look at the pollen filter and consider a fuel filter depending on mileage. Brake fluid - based on time interval since last changed.

Thanks for the reply, first time servicing an Avensis, am I okay to get the bits from Europarts or am I best to buy from Toyota dealer?

Thanks again.

depends what has been done in the past and how many miles its done???

other things to consider as a rule of thumb is:-

coolent change

cam belt (if not chain)

aux belt (at least check)

brake fluid

clutch fluid (if it isnt cable operated)

gearbox oil

pollent filter (if it has one)

grease all hings and locks etc including door straps

i know its all a little general but it will give u an idea

coop

Castrol magnatec 5w-30 A1 is good oil to use? I still have a couple of bottles left over from when I used to drive a ford transit.

I've been using magnatec all the time. Started when a Toyota delaer put it in. I also use Euro Car Parts and ask for OEM standard parts eg Pagid brakes fitted this week rather than the cheaper option available.

I've been using magnatec all the time. Started when a Toyota delaer put it in. I also use Euro Car Parts and ask for OEM standard parts eg Pagid brakes fitted this week rather than the cheaper option available.

Thanks bud.

Hi folks,

So I went to my usual garage to ask how much they would charge to change oil, oil filter, air filter and sparkplugs and fuel filter. I know it's an easy job but I'd rather pay £20 save getting my hands dirty. Anyway the boss who I usually deal with wasn't there, he used to service my Ford Transit for £20 as long as I supplied all the parts. Ended up asking one of the workers for a price and he told me on a petrol Avensis the fuel filter is guaranteed for life - is this correct? He also got his calculator out, punched a few buttons then told me £50 for the service (that's with me supplying all the parts) lol, don't know what he had been smoking but told him I'll come back when the boss is there.

The petrol filter guaranteed for life!?! So petrol cars NEVER get a bad batch of dirty fuel then, well I certainly have had one. I will say they don't normally need to be changed but after many thousands of miles it's a good idea to change it ..... otherwise why is it fitted?

Pete.

The petrol filter guaranteed for life!?! So petrol cars NEVER get a bad batch of dirty fuel then, well I certainly have had one. I will say they don't normally need to be changed but after many thousands of miles it's a good idea to change it ..... otherwise why is it fitted?

Pete.

First I'd heard of it mate, that's why thought I'd ask on here.

if u had gone to the garage i did some workexperience at they would of quoted u 400+ for a full service straight of they wouldnt of done bits and bobs.

with ur old transit im betting all the service items were nicely spread out under the bonnet with the main engine in the cab where as ur toyota all the engine is cramed under the bonnet and hard to get to bits.

at 50 quid he has prob quoted just over an hours work if i was u and i realy didnt want to do it myself i would bite his hand off. having said that 50 quid for someone else to do it ......25 pence for a bar of soap if i did it...... no brainer to me

coop

if u had gone to the garage i did some workexperience at they would of quoted u 400+ for a full service straight of they wouldnt of done bits and bobs.

with ur old transit im betting all the service items were nicely spread out under the bonnet with the main engine in the cab where as ur toyota all the engine is cramed under the bonnet and hard to get to bits.

at 50 quid he has prob quoted just over an hours work if i was u and i realy didnt want to do it myself i would bite his hand off. having said that 50 quid for someone else to do it ......25 pence for a bar of soap if i did it...... no brainer to me

coop

The guy who quoted me is a mug. I went there a few years ago in my BMW 3 series that needed a new fuel pump, this 'mug' wanted about £300 just to look at it, was trying to tell me it will take about 6 hours labour just to get the fuel pump off and have a proper look, I went down the road to another garage and they ended up supplying and fitting a used fuel pump for £150, I went back to the garage where this 'mug' works and reported him to the boss, the boss actually looks after me on the prices as I have used them quite a bit.

So coop servicing an Avensis isn't as straight forward as it sounds?

ok please dont think i was having a pop at ya. all i was saying on most comerstial vans that i have ever looked at all the service components r nicely laid out and easy to get to. where as on cars they r all cramped up. whist im not a trained mechanic it would take me a good hour from start to finish to do all the bits that u have requested. also dont forget everyone hits snags.... that bolt that wont come out easily or the plastic clip that breaks.

coop

ok please dont think i was having a pop at ya. all i was saying on most comerstial vans that i have ever looked at all the service components r nicely laid out and easy to get to. where as on cars they r all cramped up. whist im not a trained mechanic it would take me a good hour from start to finish to do all the bits that u have requested. also dont forget everyone hits snags.... that bolt that wont come out easily or the plastic clip that breaks.

coop

Not taking it as a pop mate, just filling you in on the blanks, any advice is most welcome. All the servicing was pretty straight forward on my mark 6 Transit, I haven't even had a good look under the bonnet of the Avensis yet, just assumed it was a piece of cake. I'll get a few more more quotes from other garages and report back but no way I'd pay £50 just for a service when I supply all the parts, would rather do it myself.

One more thing, how many spark plugs are there in total on the Avensis?

Thanks

4 cylinders= 4 spark plugs i assume

Are the 4 spark plugs identical? Sorry if this is a bit of a 'noob' question but been a while since I got my hands dirty.

i havent picked up my advensis yet but i would assume so..... never seen a car that had different ones

i havent picked up my advensis yet but i would assume so..... never seen a car that had different ones

Thanks bud!

as a rule, I always use blue print parts .... also (my preference), I change the oil every 6000miles and air+fuel filter before each MOT. Gearbox oil is worth changing if you've done over 80k ....

Note sure if your engine is covered, but I use the Haynes manual for the corolla ... it's 95% true for my 2004 D-4D Avensis.... very useful reference.

is there not a haynes for the avensis????ill have to see if i can find the workshop manual online

coop

nope ... I've even asked if they will create one, but it isn;t int heir plans (more interested in their non-car books it seems :-( )

There's some more detailed info here ... good for specific repairs.

http://avensis.org.ru/Manual/Toyota%20Avensis%20T22%20Repair%20Manual/Repair%20Manual/ENGINES%20+%20AUTO.TRANS/

as a rule, I always use blue print parts .... also (my preference), I change the oil every 6000miles and air+fuel filter before each MOT. Gearbox oil is worth changing if you've done over 80k ....

Note sure if your engine is covered, but I use the Haynes manual for the corolla ... it's 95% true for my 2004 D-4D Avensis.... very useful reference.

Thanks for the reply, I used to service my transit every 5 or 6 thousand miles as it was my work vehicle, in daily use and did quite a bit of mileage.

What do you mean by blue print parts? Is blue print a make that makes car parts? Never heard of it before. Is yours a petrol or diesel? Surely a diesel if you are changing the fuel filter so often?

Is changing the gearbox oil an easy job? Mines an automatic.

Thanks for the reply.