Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 04 Reg Service

smoky2004

Um, going back a few posts.... if someone was only going to charge me £50 to service my Avensis and do all the checks I'd be well happy. Mind you, I suspect I would end up repeating the checks for myself anyway, just because I'm fusy like that....

Um, going back a few posts.... if someone was only going to charge me £50 to service my Avensis and do all the checks I'd be well happy. Mind you, I suspect I would end up repeating the checks for myself anyway, just because I'm fusy like that....

To be honest, I've got quite a few friends who are mechanics and think I've been lucky over the years having a lot of my work done at mates rates, maybe it's spoilt me a little, my 1 friend who works on vans and trucks all day changed my wheel bearing on the ford transit and only charged me £20 and he's a very experienced mechanic, might have to pay him a visit and see if he can do the service for me.

To me £50 to change oil + oil filter, air filter and spark plugs when I'm supplying all the parts sounds pretty extortionate, don't think I could bring myself to pay it.

Is changing the spark plugs recommended?

Thanks

depends how many miles u done since they were last changed and weather they were "cheapo's" or platnum ones

coop

I would be very wary of anyone claiming to do it for £50 ... doesn't cover the cost of the parts... chances are you'd get the cheapest filters and chip oil!

Blueprint parts are pretty good quality, you'll get them from most motor factors.

My 5speed manual box was a very easy change ... the oil stank ... well past it's life..

I would be very wary of anyone claiming to do it for £50 ... doesn't cover the cost of the parts... chances are you'd get the cheapest filters and chip oil!

Blueprint parts are pretty good quality, you'll get them from most motor factors.

My 5speed manual box was a very easy change ... the oil stank ... well past it's life..

Hi mate, the quote was £50 with me supplying all the parts and oil.

changing the gearbox oil is a piece of cake just undo the filler plug and the drain plug watch the oil spill all over the floor cos u forgot to put somthing underneath to catch it or the container is too small.... filling is more of an issue depending on where the filler plug is.... but the theory is put the spount of the oil bottle in and pour. the practise is try and put the spout in the filler hole half the oil drains down ya arm u manage to get some in then realise u forgot to put the drain plug in start again and end up with 70% down ya arm. ur done when either u get a small steady trickle back out the filler hole or u run out and got to go buy some more.

i jest but that gearbox oil stinks

coop

£50 for less than hours labour..... choice is yours .... I'd rather do myself, as you can have a good look around, while your under there.

At £50 you can probably expect him to fit the parts you supply, throw the oil in and thats that. I expect your brakes will be inspected - just to give him an opportunity to make some money if they need replacing.

Why not speak to your mate who used to sort your transit out and ask him if you can pay him to take you through the service? That way you get the assurance of a good bloke checking the car while you learn to do it yourself.

At £50 you can probably expect him to fit the parts you supply, throw the oil in and thats that. I expect your brakes will be inspected - just to give him an opportunity to make some money if they need replacing.

Why not speak to your mate who used to sort your transit out and ask him if you can pay him to take you through the service? That way you get the assurance of a good bloke checking the car while you learn to do it yourself.

Yes think I'm going to pay him a visit next couple of days.

Whether I take my vehicle to a garage or a friend I always stay with the car so I can see all the work that's carried out, I've had garages in the past try and tell me stay in the waiting room while they do the work in the workshop as I'm not insured to be in there, end result I always end up collecting my vehicle and going elsewhere, just for my peace of mind, lots of dishonest garages out there.

Got the service costs down to £40 today through a friend of a friend, he used to work at a garage servicing cars all day. £40 is acceptible but still feels a little steep when you used to paying £20.

if u were in kent i would show ya what to do for some beer tokens but warwickshire is a littlr far. is it a case of ur not sure what to do and how or just dont want to get ur hands dirty

coop

if u were in kent i would show ya what to do for some beer tokens but warwickshire is a littlr far. is it a case of ur not sure what to do and how or just dont want to get ur hands dirty

coop

I've serviced cars in the past but just don't like getting my hands dirty, thanks for the thought anyway. I phoned a local Halfords garage and asked them to price me up on the service if I supply all the parts, they said £235, lol, I ended up sending a complaint email explaining I have lost faith in Halfords and will no longer be using them. They replied and said £235 is the standard cost of a major service and they have to use their own parts for guarantee purposes, but when I phoned up and explained I will supply all the service parts no objections were raised at all.

The service prices are a joke, I did stock up on Castrol magnatec 5w-30 fully synthetic from Halfords when it was on offer for £17.50 for 4 liters.

to be fair they do have some good offers on thier tools and if u buy the profestional range for a few pounds more they have a life time gaurentee . never had an issue taking one back even with out the recipt.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links