Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Avensis Seatbelt Alarm

Tee786Avensis

Hello Toyota owners,

Does anyone know how to disable the seatbelt alarm?

In my old 2007 Avensis, i managed to disable it by following a sequence:

- Turn power on

- Switch to ODO

- Turn power off

- Turn power on and within 5 seconds press and hold the trip reset button

- After 10 seconds fasten the seatbelt

- Release trip button and the display shows "b-off"

My new Avensis has an engine Stop/Start button, and i cant disable this annoying seatbelt alarm!!!!

Does anyone know if there is a new way to disable it on the new Avensis with a Stop/Start button?

Im a taxi driver and some customers (usually when drunk) dont wear a seatbelt.

Please, please, please help :)

i'm the same as you,not push button start but can't turn it off,the back ones too,taxi drive as well

might be a bit un tidy but cant u just disconect the wire for the buzzer?? or the weight switches. that way u can plug it back in for the mot so it doesnt fail. Im not recomending u do this just food for thought.

there will be a way to disable it... just need the right sequence

The seat belt warning alarm can only be disabled with Toyota diagnostic computer on your Avensis, however the instructions state the function to switch off is not available in western europe so it is possible we may not be able to do it in the UK.

Devon

might be a bit un tidy but cant u just disconect the wire for the buzzer?? or the weight switches. that way u can plug it back in for the mot so it doesnt fail. Im not recomending u do this just food for thought.

I've fiddled about with the car today and so far have managed to disable the buzzer for the rear seatbelts.... I removed the bench seat and each seatbelt buckle has a connector... i simply disconnected these and it seems to have disabled the rear seat buzzer... still trying to work out how to get the front seatbelts sorted

The seat belt warning alarm can only be disabled with Toyota diagnostic computer on your Avensis, however the instructions state the function to switch off is not available in western europe so it is possible we may not be able to do it in the UK.

Devon

I think you might be right.... I've called my local Toyota garage to see if there is any way to turn the buzzer off... Toyota advised nothing they can do.... I mentioned to them is there any way they can disable it with the diagnostics kit, again they said no :(

There has to be a sequence or sumin.... Its really irritating

there will be a way to disable it... just need the right sequence

I cant find any information on these forums Steve

trouble with pulling plugs is what else is now disabled

supposen the seatbelt pretentioners were also connected to that plug... surly the hassle of telling ur passengers to belt up or get out is better than them suing u for thousands for injuries if an accident happened.

trouble with pulling plugs is what else is now disabled

supposen the seatbelt pretentioners were also connected to that plug... surly the hassle of telling ur passengers to belt up or get out is better than them suing u for thousands for injuries if an accident happened.

After pulling the connectors out, I yanked the seatbelts to ensure they still stop and they seem to work fine... So would you say the "pretentioner stuff" would be ok in the event of sudden braking or an accident??? (in not very techinical)

the sudden stop u feel is the seat belt mechanisum... the pretentions are somthing else....seatbelts use kinetic force to "lock" ie u have a smack ur thrown foward seatbelt locks... trouble is this all takes time and results in exsesive movement so they develped pretentioners that in the case of an accident pretention the seatbelt so the force of the body moving foward is lessend.

not good at explaining stuff sorry

coop

the sudden stop u feel is the seat belt mechanisum... the pretentions are somthing else....seatbelts use kinetic force to "lock" ie u have a smack ur thrown foward seatbelt locks... trouble is this all takes time and results in exsesive movement so they develped pretentioners that in the case of an accident pretention the seatbelt so the force of the body moving foward is lessend.

not good at explaining stuff sorry

coop

Oh... I understand what you mean about how the pretentioner mechanism works... Thanks for that Coop.

I no it probably isn't a big issue, but its just soooo !Removed! annoying... Thanks for the advice so far guys

I've only had people in the back of mine once and there was no beep as I moved off. The 3 dots on the display told me one person didn't have belt fastened. Perhaps it doesn't start until a certain speed or something but I'm tempted to say mine doesn't beep for back seats. For the fronts you could cut a replica buckle out of plastic and plug it in. I'm not suggesting you do this for safety reasons etc, just that it definitely works.

Why not just get an old seat belt from a scrap car and use that, a centre rear one would be best as it is very short and stick that in the front ... no more alarm ;) .

Pete.

I've only had people in the back of mine once and there was no beep as I moved off. The 3 dots on the display told me one person didn't have belt fastened. Perhaps it doesn't start until a certain speed or something but I'm tempted to say mine doesn't beep for back seats. For the fronts you could cut a replica buckle out of plastic and plug it in. I'm not suggesting you do this for safety reasons etc, just that it definitely works.

The 3 dots on the display have disappered after i disconnected the connectors from the rear seatbelt buckles.... Before i did this, anyone sitting in the back seat without a belt would trigger the alarm... In my car, it happens when you drive over 10mph without having the seatbelt on....

Your idea of cutting plastic to shape is a good idea, however me being a taxi driver, i would have to keep taking them out if the customer decides to wear the seatbelt... If only the old sequence worked in the new Avensis... It was so convenient

Quote:- if the customer decides to wear the seatbelt

Are you saying the customer or passengers have an option to wear or not to wear a seat belt in a taxi?

I would have thought it would be against the law unless the person had very good medical reasons not to wear one ... what's next remove the air bags! :unsure:

To quote RoSPA .. Taxis and Limousines:

All passengers using taxis and private hire vehicles (PHV) MUST wear a seat belt.

Sounds clear enough to me or am I missing something here.

Pete.

Quote:- if the customer decides to wear the seatbelt

Are you saying the customer or passengers have an option to wear or not to wear a seat belt in a taxi?

I would have thought it would be against the law unless the person had very good medical reasons not to wear one ... what's next remove the air bags! :unsure:

To quote RoSPA .. Taxis and Limousines:

All passengers using taxis and private hire vehicles (PHV) MUST wear a seat belt.

Sounds clear enough to me or am I missing something here.

Pete.

You are very right Pete.... all passengers must wear a seatbelt.... Its the law.

However, in my 11 years of taxi driving i would say 95% of customers who sit in the back, will not wear a seatbelt. Some customers are genuine and will wear the seatbelts, however there was an incident once when I asked a youngish lad to fasten his seatbelt, ended up resulting in a heated argument, so since then I never bothered asking people to fasten the belts. Also, the local police station staff have used our firm on many occasions and they themselves do not fasten the belts in the back (usually the staff that sit in the front do wear a seatbelt)... So I leave it completely up to the individuals sitting in my car.

Also, Private Hire Taxi drivers do not have to wear a seatbelt if they have customers sitting in the back of the car... In a Hackney carraige (black cab) there is usually a glass/plastic partition which separates the customers from the driver. PHV taxi's do not have this partition, so there is an element of the driver being attacked from passengers sitting in the back of the car. There has been cases when the driver was strangled by the seatbelt.

I do, of course, wear a seatbelt when in driving with my family and ensure each of them have their belts fastened... But when I'm working as a taxi driver, most of the time I don't wear a belt.

Generally, the police in Leicester are fairly relaxed when it comes to taxi drivers not wearing seatbelts.

if ur private hire u shouldnt be picking people up off the street unless they have called and booked u. I once got into a private hire taxi that was parked in the supermarket car park... a copper watched me load my shopping into the boot and get in then made me get out again because i hadnt booked the taxi and made me get into one that was a hackney carridge liscence. Pathetic i know.

point being if one is "booked" u know the pick up point and drop off point. any agro can then surly be reported to the police.

if ur private hire u shouldnt be picking people up off the street unless they have called and booked u. I once got into a private hire taxi that was parked in the supermarket car park... a copper watched me load my shopping into the boot and get in then made me get out again because i hadnt booked the taxi and made me get into one that was a hackney carridge liscence. Pathetic i know.

point being if one is "booked" u know the pick up point and drop off point. any agro can then surly be reported to the police.

Thats right... Private Hire taxi's need to be booked in advance... I cant stop if im flagged down, customers need to ring the office and book a taxi... The job will come through on my pda and thats how private hire taxi's operate...

If i pick up a random customer from the street without a job being booked and i have an accident, my insuarnce will not cover me, as the insurance certificate clearly states "cover offered for private hire use only" and specifically excludes hackney work... I no its a silly rule.

Anyway, back to the main point... Regardless whether booked or not, this !Removed! seatbelt alarm is still annoying

Why not engage the seat belts at the start of your working day. They will sit flat against the set back, if a passenger wants to use the belt it is easy to release it and put it on. When I take the car into the garage it is always returned to me in this way and putting anything heavy on the seat doesn't cause the buzzer to sound.

Personally though I would not allow passengers to ride without them for two reasons. 1, if you have to brake in an emergency or have an accident then the person behind you is going to become a missile and 2, ensuring they have a seat belt fitted means they can't claim against you for negligence if they are injured.

• 1 year later...

Just a follow up on an old topic...the techstream software can turn off the seatbelt warning buzzer, and can also set the "door open" beeps quieter.

• Like 1

I too use mine as a private hire vehicle and fully endorse previous comments about public not wearing seatbelts(for whatever reason) in the back. I welcome the last post about techstream being able to turn this annoying alarm off. Is this a dealer only system or is my local independent likely to have one?

I bought a cheap one for my laptop from eBay, IIRC about £20. Look for mini vci Toyota techstream.

• Like 1

alan333 what else can you do with Toyota techstream?.

alan333 what else can you do with Toyota techstream?.

I can't really remember, I only plugged it in once. You could change the settings for the auto lights etc (the same settings you can do from the stereo), and IIRC there were settings to do with the alarm, but I didn't mess about with any of it. I seem to remember reading lots of data about how the engine was running too, but that was maybe on youtube before I bought the cable. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I'll have it plugged into an Auris soon tho, so will post back after a poke around.