Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Analogue Instruments Readabilty During Daytime

CharlesF

I recently acquired a 2012 Auris as a replacement for an Avensis, and generally like the car. However, it has the analogue instruments (non optitron) and one immediate irritation was that, unlike the Avensis, the instrument lighting was not on in daylight, and on grey winter days I found the instruments harder to see. On dull days I found myself putting on the sidelights simply so I could see how fast I was going.

I looked to see if anyone else had thought the same - and found several similar comments - but no solutions.

I have some electronics experience, and thought it should be possible to do a simple mod to get the instrument lights to come on with the ignition. I've now made this work, and have posted a guide in the Auris section.

Hopefully this might be of interest to other owners, and I'd be interested in your comments.

Charles F

At clock connector (40 pin white connector) there is an input for illumination - pin 24, green wire; IMO you have to cut it and connect together with ignition wire - pin 33, pink one.

That's similar to what I've suggested. However, if you just join ignition switched volts to the backlight input (as suggested above) then the instruments are only lit when the ign is on, so if the lights are on and the ign is off, then the intruments are dark. My suggestion adds to the normal function.

Then insert 2 diodes (3 amps each, for instance); one of them in original circuit, pin 24 - green wire, and another from pink wire and pin 24.

You've just described exactly what I have suggested - the only diference being the pin where I picked up ign switched volts. There are three pins on the instrument connector with ign switched volts, pins 1, 12, and 33, any one of which would do the job, as the current required is only 14mA or so.

I get the impression that I've stepped on your toes with this - which was not my intent. You obviously already knew how to do this job.....

However, I could not find any posted information on this topic in advance of posting the guide, and therfore thought it might be useful to others, who do not have the information that you obviously have.

I get the impression that I've stepped on your toes with this - which was not my intent. ...

No, there isn't any problem, I only want to help you a little bit. :)

BTW only pin 33 is directly connected to ignition circuit, 1 is signal for passenger belt warning lamp, and 12 is for signal from front passanger belt switch which is put in series with occupant detection switch.