Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Will He Offer ?

paulmel

Hi all,

Thinking of calling in at local dealer to look at the new Rav at the weekend and could do with going in armed with as much information as possible regarding what the salesman might offer for my current car so as not to appear shocked/pleased when he gives me his trade in value.

Current car is an 2008 XT5 diesel. Done less than 37,000 miles with F T S H. It has the usual high spec. plus tinted windows, reverse sensors, mudflaps, rear view camera, side steps, front nudge bar and tow bar with electrics above and beyond original spec.

Now I know that these extras won't recoup their original expense but surely would, in combination, add to it's overall value ?

If his valuation was too low, what could I expect to get for it in a private sale ( again, I know it's only worth what somebody is willing to pay on the day) but have had a trawl on the internet and this model seems to be few and far between to have anything to directly compare it to.

And finally, when/if we advertise privately, where would the best place be to do so, based on your own experiences, with the greatest chance of getting a sale.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Don't forget you won't get any discount on the new car so you need to dig in on price. I don't think they will let you walk away if you said you wanted 13k

37k on a 5 year old diesel! Are ye mad - I'd be asking myself is it worth going down the diesel route for starters.

Seriously though - whatcar free valuations is a good starting place to get an idea what it's worth.

http://www.whatcar.com/valuations

XT5s were really hard to come by when I was looking. They won't have any trouble selling it, so make sure you let them chase you.

You are unlikely to get a bean of consideration for any 'add on' extras Paul. The tow bar could well take the potential offer the other way. Personally I would remove the towbar, side steps, mud flaps and anything else you have added like boot liner, carpets etc and sell privately. If the front A bar is removed it will leave four holes in the bumper.

Happy haggling :thumbsup:

Accessories and add ons are not worth two toots on a ragmans trumpet to your dealer, so don't hold your breath on getting any extra value out of those, as mentioned above, remove them and sell them

Remember, it's the cost to change that matters, don't get hung up on what the P/EX value alone is

The New RAV has a decent finance offer on Icon and Invincible models, that might be more important to you

Kingo :thumbsup:

I don't think they will let you walk away if you said you wanted 13k

:eek: errrrr, what was that animated film produced in the 1940's by Walt Disney? ................oh thats it, Fantasia! :lol:

Hi all,

Thinking of calling in at local dealer to look at the new Rav at the weekend and could do with going in armed with as much information as possible regarding what the salesman might offer for my current car so as not to appear shocked/pleased when he gives me his trade in value.

Current car is an 2008 XT5 diesel. Done less than 37,000 miles with F T S H. It has the usual high spec. plus tinted windows, reverse sensors, mudflaps, rear view camera, side steps, front nudge bar and tow bar with electrics above and beyond original spec.

Now I know that these extras won't recoup their original expense but surely would, in combination, add to it's overall value ?

If his valuation was too low, what could I expect to get for it in a private sale ( again, I know it's only worth what somebody is willing to pay on the day) but have had a trawl on the internet and this model seems to be few and far between to have anything to directly compare it to.

And finally, when/if we advertise privately, where would the best place be to do so, based on your own experiences, with the greatest chance of getting a sale.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

PM sent Paul

Big Kev

Going off a similar one Kingo......................

That is well over retail money for one Don, the dealer would have to sell it above retail and that is not likely to happen, it might be a good example of the model but I have my doubts, like i said, there is a lot to consider,its the cost to change when you have worked out the deal that matters, not what the paperwork says, as some money (discount) may be applied to the new car too. Your dealer needs you, he needs your used car, he wants a sale, but work out on paper some scenarios as to what you would be happy with, it could be you get free accessories or a discount or some other incentive, work out what you think the cost to change is and work it out from there. IF your car is worth 13K and the new one is 23K then its a 10K cost to change, this might mean on paper they offer you 11K for the used car and knock 2K off the price (discount) , it is still 10K to change

Accessories and add ons are not worth two toots on a ragmans trumpet to your dealer, so don't hold your breath on getting any extra value out of those, as mentioned above, remove them and sell them

Remember, it's the cost to change that matters, don't get hung up on what the P/EX value alone is

The New RAV has a decent finance offer on Icon and Invincible models, that might be more important to you

How would one word an advert for this car with the reversey beep beeps, camera, and the front nudge bar removed to sell.........?

"Rav 4 for sale.....looks like an extra from The Untouchables after Al Capone shot holes in it......" Always been a wee bugbear......please buy our overpriced accessories, but we won't tell you they are worth Far Call until you bring it back to trade in. Pain killers no working so enjoyed ma wee rant........

I have seen discounts of 7% offered online for the new Rav and the vehicle is supplied by a Toyota dealer with full dealers services once the car is ordered. Don't know if that includes part ex facilities.

Doubt you would achieve 7% at the dealers in person (let me know if you do and I will take a trip myself) but maybe in 6 months or so.

, but we won't tell you they are worth Far Call until you bring it back to trade in. Pain killers no working so enjoyed ma wee rant........

Well it was a bit of a flippant remark Kev, sorry :hug: Accessories have very little value to the dealer, in fact tow bars are often removed before a used car goes on sale, especially if they are non genuine or unknown / DIY fit. Best removed and sold privately

Discounts may be available, but when you P/EX, the discount is usually applied as an over allowance on your P/EX, as I have said before, its the cost to change that matters

, but we won't tell you they are worth Far Call until you bring it back to trade in. Pain killers no working so enjoyed ma wee rant........

Well it was a bit of a flippant remark Kev, sorry :hug: Accessories have very little value to the dealer, in fact tow bars are often removed before a used car goes on sale, especially if they are non genuine or unknown / DIY fit. Best removed and sold privately

Discounts may be available, but when you P/EX, the discount is usually applied as an over allowance on your P/EX, as I have said before, its the cost to change that matters

Apology not accepted, sir, as not in the least required.....it's just that exactly the same happened to me.....oem phone kit / oem reversey beep beeps / horns changed to REAL HORNS / more . One thing they (the dealer) were quite pleased about was runflats removed, contrary to previous reports that "this non standard deviation would cause a problem in selling as grade one stock...."

Car was gone in 3 days at a tidy profit, possibly to someone whose dictat was they wanted a 178hp car but not Flunrats......?

Big Kev

Did you not advise I could make that a proper 200 BHP model?

You're slipping..........No golf balls for you :D:

I know all that Kingo. That is what I was mooting - you won't get a discount on a new one but you need to haggle for the best price to change. This friend of mine went with his 2008 but he got 13 against a 30k Invincible (with toys).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links