Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 1.8 Vvti Engine Locks At A Certain Point.

bobdaz

Hi Guys

After a normal run out on Sunday engine died completly,no noises whatever.....I had fitted and oil control valve a few days before which was working ok,also cleaned out the filter below it.oil change and filter 3 weeks ago.

I have removed cylinder head cover nothing obvious,removed drivers road wheel and panel so i could turn the crankshaft pully,having done so,at a certain point the crank jams?

I have removed the auxillary belt to rule out anything being turned by the belt,so problem is where do i go now?

Looks and sounds exspensive!

Any help Appreciated.

bobdaz

I guess that you had the sparkplugs out when you cranked the engine. If not it might be heavy to crank the engine sometimes.

You are right. It sounds expensive. To me it sounds like you have to spend some hours in the garage with your tools.

Is the car total dead. Normaly you can hear when different relays switch over. Do you hear that or is it comletely dead?

DOH!..yes i will remove the spark plugs tommorow......Before i started pulling it to pieces the engine does turn over but with a rhymic metal "Clonk" per revolution...

bobdaz

stick one of thoes inspection cameras down the plug bore. but if there was no noise at all b4 the engine died it should be fine. obvioulsy as soon as u felt resistance turnijg the engine over by hand u stoped and didnt force it. is the oil control valve connected to the timing in anyway.

hope it works out

coop

Hi Coop

No noise at all when engine died..........when turning crank pully should i feel increasing compression because as i turn crank there is a definite stop,not gradual?..when i felt the resistance i turned crank back a tad then clockwise again,the resistance was at the same point everytime?

bobdaz

it should be getting harder and harder ie an in crease in comprestion which is why one should take the plugs out.u will still feel some diff in effot needed to turn the engine over as the cams open and close the valves but alot less then the compression stroke.

the point i was making about if there was no warning b4 the engine quit im confused as to why u would go straight round to turn the engine over. trust me if a cam belt went or u had the timing wrong u would of known long b4 now..... it would either of sounded like hell or gone bang bang bang as the con rods came through the side of the engine anf lots of metal flew in all sorts of directions

Hi Coop

When it died i was able to coast away from a busy main island........i lost brake servo/power steering and all the ignition lights were on as if i had stalled the engine...some guys helped me push car to a safe place and being has i had not heard or seen anything wrong under the hood,i thought it safe to turn the engine over.

On the 1.8 vvti the timing is adjusted via the oil control valve,which i had replaced and checked electrically before fitting.

The timing chain is intact and no visible teeth missing on chain gears.

I had been on an 80 mile journey with no issues but once or twice the oil light flickered,i stopped and checked oil level and it was fine?

bobdaz

ok... whilst i know nothing about the avensis engines (i havent picked my one up yet (come on saturday!!!!)) timing on all engines is simular ie it either works or doesnt work. the fact that u did 80 miles with no issues hopefully means there isnt a prob with the timing!!

as u thought the timing was susspect u did the right thing to turn it over by hand one does that to check the engine turns over freely while it is easy to bend a valve if u go at it like a bull in a china shop as long as ur carefull and stop as soon as u find resistance u should be fine. as i said in my previous post with out the plugs in it will get hard then suddenly give this isnt anything to worry about its just the cam lobe going over the valve.

sorry i cant be anymore help

coop

DOH!..yes i will remove the spark plugs tommorow......Before i started pulling it to pieces the engine does turn over but with a rhymic metal "Clonk" per revolution...

bobdaz

Was that before you did the work with the oil control valve or after the engine died?

Are you sure your valves are in the right position. You wrote that you had a metal clonk per revolution. I assume you mean revolution of the crankshaft. Then I would guess that one of the pistons hit a valve that doesn't close. Tomorrow when you remove the plugs and turn the engine by hand. Lift the cylinder head cover too and take a look at the camshafts and the valves.

Cooper12000; can you explain, "remember 2 revoloutions of the crank is one revoloution of the engine"

i ment 2 revoloutions of the crank is 1 compleat cycle of the engine ie to check all the valves r clear u need to turn the crank two compleate revoloutions. each piston goes up twice (once for comprestion and once for exhaust) and goes down twice( once for inlet and once for power)

hope that helps

coop

UPDATE***********

Removed all plugs and if you treat the crankshaft pulley as a clock face turning clockwise it stops solid at 1500 hours...then turning anticlockwise stops solid at 9.00am....looked at camshafts as i turned crank but nothing obvious?

bobdaz

looks like the pistons r hitting the valves. trouble is u have no idea where anything is. lightly hood is u have bent valves only way to find out is take the cylinder head off

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links