Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gearbox Bearings - Avensis

Albame

I have an Avensis. 3 1/2 years old. Had it since new. Done 50,000.

Has just required gearbox bearings, nothing else, just bearings. EXPENSIVE.

Has anyone else had this problem??

Hi,

Out of interest, what was the symptom - what was it doing that made you take it back to the dealer?

Thanks.

I bet its a 1.8

never have a problem with 2.0

if repaired early enough it will repair

if left its a £1200 gearbox

shutty,

You sound like you know what some of the typical gearbox problems are. I heard that the older Avensis range had quite fragile gearboxes. What are the problems with the new ones?

Thanks.

I have an Avensis 1.8 GLS VVTi (Sept 2000 model), it's not even done 50k miles and the gearbox has gone up the creek! :ffs:

Took it to a independent mechanic who says it'll cost £800 incl parts and labour to put right, though I should contact Toyota and see if they'll do it as goodwill seen as it's only just out of warranty and not covered that many miles yet for something major like this to go so soon.

It's booked in with Toyota, Oxford tomorrow afternoon to have an inspection and then they'll let me know if they can help or not.

Fingers-crossed...

Cheekster.

Update...

Toyota looked at my car and confirmed the gearbox needs to be repaired/replaced, however they would not entertain even attempting to get it fixed free of charge as goodwill on the basis that the previous services (from original owner) were not carried out at exactly the correct intervals i.e. every one year or 10k miles! :ffs:

What a load of nonsense. I shall be writing a very strong letter of complaint to Toyota head office.

This is the first and possibly last Toyota I ever purchase if this is how they treat their customers.

A major part should not need replacing so soon on a modern car imo, certainly not one that hasn't even done 50k miles and is approx. 3 and 1/2 years old in excellent condition inside and out.

Anyone like to offer any advise regarding any possible rights I might have regarding this problem please?

Cheekster.

Any 1.8 upto new model may have a problem

2.0 is fine

Not had an issue with NG 1.8 Avensis though

You could get a recon box for less and its only 4 hrs to replace one

Our techs can have one out & In in about 2 1/2 hrs

Anyone like to offer any advise regarding any possible rights I might have regarding this problem please?

Cheekster.

let me see, out of warranty and not serviced properly? :-)

hopefully shutty should be able to give you a good deal...

Hi,

Could anyone tell me the symptoms of these gearbox problems? The box on my 30K mile 2001 1.8VVTi Avensis feels pretty good but, of late, has become a bit notchy when cold. Didn't worry me until I saw this lot. Has been serviced regularly, though...

Thanks.

That's basically how mine started out. It felt like I had to force the gearstick into certain gears, namely 3rd and then 2nd also.

On a few occassions I guess I lifted the clutch before the gearstick had properly gone into gear resulting in a slight crunching sound of the gear coggs.

Whenever the car was in gear I could hear a type of banging/rubbing sound if the windows were open. Last Wednesday this sound got so bad it could be heard even with the windows up and the stereo on! Was more like a grinding sound! :ffs:

Cheekster.

JUST HAD MY GEAR BOX FIXED UNDER WARANTY .59.000 JUST INSIDE WARANTY IS A COMON PROBLEM WITH AVENSIS GS

Oh dear, more faults with the Avensis, these British built things certainly are not upto scratch i've had allsorts of problems with mine, certainly not like the Japanese built Toyota's we've had and family/friends have.

I'll hopefully be getting rid of mine soon for something superior.

are all the Avensises British Built?

There was a discussion in the Yaris forum last week about the difference between the Japanese and French built Yaris. (Japanese won hands down BTW).

Rich

I believe they are all British built now, possibly since around 1999?

My first and perhaps last Toyota I plan on purchasing after the experience I've had within four months of owning it. :censor:

Cheekster.

All Avensis' are made in Britain just like the majority of Carina E's were.

Don't let the Avensis put you off Toyota's, just don't get anything made outside of Japan. This is the first non-Jap Toyota we've had and are rather dissapointed with it, but all the Jap ones we have had/know people who have them are fantastic.

The Yaris is the same, we have had a few as loan cars and the Jap ones are far superior, one area you can tell is how the upper glove box closes, all the French one's stick as though they are dragging on one side but the Jap ones don't, there are other differences too.

At least Toyota help you to find out where the car is made as they put a sticker in the top drivers side of the windscreen saying where it's made.

Anyone who says the British ones are just as good has either never owned a Japanese Toyota or don't know where to look to see the differences.

Hi,

Unfortunately, I agree about British built Avensis cars. I jave a 1.8 VVTi GS hatchback and, apart from an '84 mini, it's been the most troublesome car I've owned to date. Problems encountered include one of the driveshafts, steering column (2), rear door closing, dashboard rattles and brakes. Has been back to the garage around 4 times so far, excluding services, and is due in for 3 days next week to sort out a whole list of problems that I've been in contact with Toyota GB about. Looking in this group, it seems like there are 4 common problems with the steering alone, not to mention the gearbox as noted already in this thread. May well sell it once the warranty expires because the cost of ownership is scary.

Toyota have a very good warranty scheme but, if they build cars like this, they need it.

GreenAvensis.

I'm also having gearbox bearing problems (i think!), with my 1998 1800cc. Ive had the problem for about 2 months and its getting worse, but ive had a major cash shortage until recently so ive avoided sorting it out. what im wondering is whether to ask a mechanic to replace the bearings, or, as ive had the problem a while, might it be un repairable and would a recon box be better? also, any ideas on costs (independent garage rather than dealer)?

thanks

Quick update...

Got my Avensis back last Monday after having the gerbox re-furbished, brand new clutch, front brake pads and discs two new front tyres and a full 50k service. All of that lot came to the tune of £1,478!

You can imagine my feeling at shelling out that kind of money after only owning the car some four months and paying £5,200 to purchase it.

Considering a Honda Accord next if I have any more problems with it.

Cheekster.

yep had a problem with the gearbox, when you pressed the clutch the grinding stopped got the gear box erconditioned for 250 quid fine ever since

Considering a Honda Accord next

Good idea, the one my dad used to have was lovely.

However, I would recommend a Toyota Camry, you cannot compare them with the Avensis, there a far superior vehicle, the one my dad had before the Lexus was superb and put my Avensis to shame really.