Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Free Play In Steering

jimtaxi

When at a standstill with steering wheel centered when I move the wheel there is an amount of free play before the road wheels start to move I have checked recall but my car is not included but the play in steering appears to be in the steering tube between the steering wheel and rack. Any advice.

Cheers

Hello Jim,

I think there is wear in the intermediate shaft/universal joint, you can see this in the attached picture,click on it to enlarge it.

Also I have attached the full .pdf document for the complete.steering column where all the parts are shown.

The steering needs looking at asap for obvious safety reasons.

Pete.

STEERING COLUMN.pdf

post-74463-0-84894100-1361393280_thumb.g

Hello Jim,

I think there is wear in the intermediate shaft/universal joint, you can see this in the attached picture,click on it to enlarge it.

Also I have attached the full .pdf document for the complete.steering column where all the parts are shown.

The steering needs looking at asap for obvious safety reasons.

Pete.

Thanks for early reply will inspect parts and let you know my findings

Cheers Jim

This made me laugh - When driving my dad's Focus on the motorway, I found I could wiggle the wheel almost 2cm left and right without any change in the car's direction :eek: but apparently this is normal for Fords!! :lol: (I remember Clarkson demonstrating the same thing in an F150...)

If I do the same thing in my Yaris, the car will wiggle. Quality! :thumbsup:

This made me laugh - When driving my dad's Focus on the motorway, I found I could wiggle the wheel almost 2cm left and right without any change in the car's direction :eek: but apparently this is normal for Fords!! :lol: (I remember Clarkson demonstrating the same thing in an F150...)

If I do the same thing in my Yaris, the car will wiggle. Quality! :thumbsup:

A bit off topic here but yes I know what you mean in regards to the Yaris, when I get out of the Avensis and drive the Yaris SR the steering is so direct it's like a go cart not to mention the brakes, the pedal pressure required in the Yaris is about half that of the Avensis diesel.

Pete.