Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pls Help Me Out Guys

johnro

My 2005 avens is 2.2 d4d needs the following:

ECU

ALTERNATOR

Jemca wants to charge me 1300 pounds for these two

Help me out. I live in Croydon. Do u know anyone who will fit 2nd hand ones?

Is it difficult for me to fit the ECU unit?

Quite desperate about it

there has been some bad reports on here about jemca, why do you need an ecu what is the problem with the car?

Car is not starting They said that they replaced the ecu and the car started and that the alternator shows 11v out of 13 ( or whatever the limit is)

They made me buy a Battery for them to be able to check what's wrong with the car (mine was dead). I asked them to pit an old one but they said they can't do it.

something does not sound right,your old Battery perhaps just wanted charging up if the alternator was not charging it right i would ask for it back so you can check, and i doubt if they would swap an ecu just to check a fault, ask for what fault codes they were getting,personally i would get a second opion.

did they check the voltage just at the Battery or did they check it at the alternator as well? I have seen lots of people buy a new alternator cos they thought it was faulty when all was wrong was a dirty contact or damaged wire. was the alternator light on when it was able to be started?

coop

£1300 is a big investment. 2nd opinion time I think. May even be worth having Toyota dealer look at it for you - but ensure you set a limit on how long they spend looking. 45mins to 1 hour say, while you wait. That way they can't simply keep looking for a fault and run up a big bill but if they need say another 30 mins to finish it you can give them the go-ahead.

All these details I got them over the phone. My car was left with them for more then a week now. I know that my Battery was good. It was just discharged. The voltage from the alternator I don't know how they test it. Everything was over the phone

Last November they charged me 1100 for parts and labor. Now they are charging me big time (I guess) for this job

This is how it started:

100 pounds for a new Battery for them to start investigating

100 the investigation

90 a fuel filter

And now this is what they found wrong

600 ecu (engine computer)

600 alternator

This is all with Vat and labor

Any dealer out there who can check on these prices pls? I know Toyota parts are expensive, but I think I'm being ripped off a little bit. Again :)

Also, anyone has a guide or smtg on how to remove the old ECU and replace with a newer one? I found so many on the Internet and cheaper too.

Thanks for all your help guys

any garage worth its salt would replace the alternator as soon as they found it to be defunct they wouldnt carry on looking for issues. how can u diagnose an electrical fault with a broken component.

as to 600 quid to replace an alternator i would be susspect about however i still havent got my car yet so dont know 100% how dificult it is..... however usualy its a belt and 2-3 bolts sometimes the hardest part is actualy getting it out the engine bay.

hope this helps

coop

It is time to get the car from that workshop. They only rob you. Let another workshop help you or do it yourself.

I was asking for a plain one not a gold platted one. I guess the gold one is cheaper :)

I spent £60 on a new alternator for my mk1 tops is £100. So unless it costs £500 to fit one that place is a rip off. Take somewhere else mate as sound complete sharks

For a comparison: a new alternator (Denso) for my 2,0 d4d- 08 would have been 595 euro (460 € alternator + labour 135 €) at my local Toyota dealer here in Finland. I think the driveshaft on the right side must be taken out to give space for the alternator to come out ...

haha

id be sourcing a regulator for my alternator at around 18 gbp ,, possibly a diode in the bridge rectifier ( inside the alternator) could be open circuit draining the Battery.

at worse a £95 + vat rework of the whole alternator from an auto electrical supplier after they have bench tested it and confirmed the fault.

sounds as if they have spiked your ecu by getting polarity wrong jump starting to run and test( by accident or not)

hmm can you just throw on another ecu to test, not very secure cars then as all others are coded to key to stop easy thefts.

lucky they had another ecu just the same eh as there are usually many different variants for the same engine due to software and map enhancements/add ons

get it towed out of there

and for reference a good charging system regulates at around 14.4v max with all lights and heaters on load not in the 13s

and a garage that did not have 1decent Battery laying around that they could have used for testing purposes !!!