Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fitting Aygo Navigation System

iMike

Ive seen the tom tom sat nav system complete for an Aygo for sale, and was wondering how hard this would be to install. Also would it interfere with the Factory fit bluetooth that is already installed in my Aygo

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Might be worth your while to look at the Toyota Tech guide for the nav system. It details how to fit it. As far as I know it's the Tom Tom system. To be honest, it doesn't look that easy althought the Toyota pictogram instructions do leave a lot to be desired!

Check it out here www.toyota-tech.eu

Look under the General tab, Accessories Installation Manuals

DSH

thanks for the reply, looking at fitting instructions, it dont look too bad, my main concern is if it will interfere with the factory fit bluetooth thats already installed.

Hi Mike,

My thinking would be that it would not effect the bluetooth function as I'm sure that Toyota would have made allowance for that when designing the installation. I believe that you could specify the Sat Nav option on the Aygo Blue so that being the case, I'm sure that the oem Sat Nav and the bluetooth would function perfectly well.

I suppose before committing yourself to anything it might be worth ringing your local dealer and ask the question?

DSH

Does the bluetooth you currently use work through the radio Speakers? The Aygo satnav does as I have the Aygo go with this as standard and the bluetooth works through the satnav and radio. It does things like cancel the radio volume during a call which is handy. Depending on how old your Aygo is the satnav should fit straight in.

Does the Bluetooth you currently use work through the radio speakers? The Aygo satnav does as I have the Aygo go with this as standard and the Bluetooth works through the satnav and radio. It does things like cancel the radio volume during a call which is handy. Depending on how old your Aygo is the satnav should fit straight in.

Hi Phil

I have a Aygo Blue 2010 so the bluetooth unit is all fitted in as standard and does mute the car radio when making and receiving calls. thats why i was a bit concerned as to perhaps the wiring is being used by my bluetooth unit. Anyhow can i ask how you update the maps on the tom tom unit

The TomTom unit also features bluetooth, so you can also opt to take out the original set and use the one in the TomTom instead...

And the upgrading, the unit pops out of the surround on the car and you can plug it onto your pc.

On a side note, the Factory Satnav isn't very good and a lot of people complain about it because it locks up, slow to respond, the music integration is a bit hit and miss also.

Personally, I'd save your cash and buy an independant satnav. Much better and loads cheaper

And the upgrading, the unit pops out of the surround on the car and you can plug it onto your pc.

On a side note, the Factory Satnav isn't very good and a lot of people complain about it because it locks up, slow to respond, the music integration is a bit hit and miss also.

Personally, I'd save your cash and buy an independant satnav. Much better and loads cheaper

Thanks for your advice, and i think thats what ill do.

I have never had mine lock up and yes the stand alone version is better and more feature packed. I have a Go Live 550 and the HD traffic is very useful. OK the built in one can do this via your mobile but uses data and the Live service subscription on the stand alone units is less that £30 per year and I suspect doing it through a mobile would be a lot more. Also thins like advanced lane guidance is missing. Saying that, a stand alone unit won't mute your radio during calls etc..

+1 for the option of getting seperate units. I have the factory unit in my Go! - I wouldn't buy it if it wasn't there.

I agree that the separate unit is the better option. The built-in units never seem as functional.

These days I use the Tom Tom app for iPhone in conjuction with a Brodit Pro Clip. It's brilliant - every bit as good as any dedicated unit whether built-in or not. I've used the iPhone app for a couple of years now and never felt a need for anything else.

Originally I used a Tom Tom cradle with built-in microphone and GPS chip to boost the chip in the iPhone 3 I had at the time. The old iPhone 3 wasn't up to sat nav use without the GPS chip in the cradle but the cradle was expensive at around £90. Anyway, now I have an iPhone 4 and that performs perfectly well without assistance from the Tom Tom cradle, so I just put the phone in the Brodit holder and plug it into the cigar lighter socket. The old Tom Tom cradle is now redundant. I may change to an iPhone 5 in the near future and it won't fit in the Tom Tom cradle anyway. Looking at the Tom Tom web site I see that they don't do a replacement version of my old cradle specifically for the iPhone 5 so it looks like they are acknowledging that the iPhone is now up to the job of sat nav without the need to boost the GPS chip.

DSH

I use google maps. The new version is excellent, really easy to see, precise and quick. I also have the use of my force issue XDA with co-pilot but find it a lot slower so rarely use it!

• 3 months later...

I just fitted the toyota tomtom in my Aygo and it was quite easy following original Toyota instuctions.

Unit works good but screen could really be bigger. I am a bit spoiled with the 8.8" screen in my other car....

Regards,

L