Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hello.

Paulus17

Hello Yaris owners.

It looks like we will have to part company with our Rav,and need to get a more economical car to run and would like to stay with Toyota.

So we are looking for some advice on the Yaris and other models which i will post in the relevant forums.

Are there any problems to look out for,models to avoid etc.??

TIA.

Hello,

what year and model are you looking for?

We have a 2008 Yaris 1.3 SR and a 2007 Avensis 2.2 diesel they are both reliable BUT the Avensis is better mpg in all conditions than the petrol Yaris. The Yaris diesel would be the best for mpg (60-65 mpg) if that's what you are looking for but you will pay more for the diesel.

In my opinion staying with Toyota will be your best bet for all round reliability and when things do go wrong they normally stand by their warranty terms unlike some others.

Regards Pete.

Hi Pete.

Not sure on the model range yet as we are just looking into the models at the moment.

We will need summat thats cheaper to run and cheaper to insure/tax than the Rav.

It will be mainly used by Mrs P for work,and taking daughter to work,and just genearl running about.

We have been extremely happy with out local Toyota dealer where we bought the Rav from so are hoping to do some sort of deal with them again once we know what we want.

New yaris or auris or maybe even an urban cruiser if they have any in stock?

Alex

The UC will be out of our price range,but would be ideal i suppose??

The diesel Yarisisus are super cheap to run but tend to cost a good chunk more than the petrol ones, even second hand. The Mk2's aren't hit as badly by this as the Mk1's tho'.

What kind of driving will you be doing? They do need to have their legs stretched regularly or they soot up, esp. the later models as they have DPFs, so If you're going to use it only occasionally or for mostly city stuff, the petrol ones would be better suited I think. The 1.0 is almost as economical as the D4D in town and doesn't have sooting problems. The later 1.33's are pretty good too in terms of running costs but are not much better to drive than the 1.0's according to some due to poor gear ratio choices.

The hybrid one has the best of both worlds but is extremely expensive as they're still very new.

Thanks for the replies folks :thumbsup:

We,well MrsP went and test drove a 1.0 Yaris yesterday on an 09 plate with just under 20,000 on the clock which was nice and comfy and spacious.Thye exhaust sound more throaty is this how they sound?

Also Mrs P tried starting it but the key wouldn't turn,the salesman said the clutch as to be fully depressed for it to start,why is this???

Would the 1.33 be any better as the 1.0 felt nippy enough,would we be getting the 45-50mpg out of em??

As regards the starting procedure (the engine won't start without the clutch being fully depressed, its a safety issue in case the car is in gear when being started. Had the same on both my Auris.

Something you get used to, and in fact I always depress the clutch when starting now, whether I'm in the Auris or the i20 (which doesn't need the clutch depressed).

Thanks for the replies folks :thumbsup:

We,well MrsP went and test drove a 1.0 Yaris yesterday on an 09 plate with just under 20,000 on the clock which was nice and comfy and spacious.Thye exhaust sound more throaty is this how they sound?

The 1.0 Yaris of that age is a 3 cylinder engine isn't it? Might explain the different engine note. As as aside, what are people's views on 3 cylinder engines? We're looking at the Skoda Fabia 1.2 12V around 2008/09 which makes 70bhp and is probably similarly priced to the Yaris of that age but is much more practical with a bigger boot and 5 doors as standard. 'Bigsmall' my eye!

My neighbour has the VAG 3 cylinder 1.2 engine in a 59 reg Polo he has had from new. Last year at 15000 miles the cylinder head needed replacing at a cost of £1200 (this time replaced under warranty) - according to the dealer the problem is common with these engines and could well recur.

Clutch-down to start is pretty common on modern Toyotas.

I don't have to on my Mk1 Yaris but I believe the Mk2 and 3 require it.

TBH it is good practice tho' - It reduces the strain on the starter motor, makes it that bit easier to start the engine, and is that bit safer in the case that the car isn't in neutral for whatever reason.

My old crappy Fiesta really had trouble starting on those cold winter mornings until a mate suggested I start it with the clutch in; Lo and behold instant start every time since then! :lol:

Got into the habit and still do it now!

Not a big fan of 3 cylinders meself but most of that is due to the horrible Polo Bluemotion diesel. The Aygo's 1.0 3 cylinder seems okay enough - Quiet, revvy. Sounds a bit dieselly at idle but feels a lot smoother when running. Found it a bit tough to drive compared to my D4D as it's really weak down low, but to be fair it isn't designed to be used like that as, like most japanese engines, it wants revs! :)

Found it a bit tough to drive compared to my D4D as it's really weak down low, but to be fair it isn't designed to be used like that as, like most japanese engines, it wants revs!

To be fair, diesels of any make/nationality are nearly always better low down than similar output petrol. (And conversely won't rev as high.) It's in the nature of the beast.

My neighbour has the VAG 3 cylinder 1.2 engine in a 59 reg Polo he has had from new. Last year at 15000 miles the cylinder head needed replacing at a cost of £1200 (this time replaced under warranty) - according to the dealer the problem is common with these engines and could well recur.

Did he tell you what the problem was exactly? Was it the head gasket? I've heard of timing chain problems on the mk 1 Fabias (pre 2007) but thought this was sorted on the newer models. I can't imagine the dealer admitting it was a common problem.

Must confess that I didn't delve into what the issue was. My neighbour bought the car new when he retired, and intended to keep it for a number of years. First evidence of anything wrong was the engine management light coming on, and the car was taken straight to the dealership (less than 2 miles away). The service manager DID admit it was a common problem with the 3 cylinder 1.2 engines and DID advise my neighbour that it could well recur - with a similar cost and the inference that once the warranty expired (which it now has) repairs would be at the customers expense.

Cheers that's good to know. I bet your retired old neighbour is thinking about getting rid of it before it happens again. Ah the joys of second hand cars. Like a wise man once said to me, 'you're just buying other peoples problems'.

Hi and welcome.

We had a Mk1 1.0 for eight years and we've had two 1.3 Mk2s for the past four years.....

The early 1.0 was a four cylinder engine, but it has the same power output as the later 3 cylinder engines - so the differences we found between the two probably equally apply to the later 1.0s...

We did 64000 miles in the 1.0 and it was perfectly fine. We used it mainly round town and locally, but it did several 200 mile round trips to Sheffield over snake pass without any complaint....

Over the whole 64000 miles, it averaged 44mpg. Many times of course we saw up to 65mpg on the computer but tracking the fuel over every full tankful gives the real figure. The 3 cyl 1.0 should be better on fuel....

Over the first 20000 miles and the last four years, the 1.3 has averaged 38.5 mpg. Again, mainly town use and again, we often see the trip computer saying that its averaging 50-55 mpg over a trip bt again, when you average it out overall, its 38.5....

Having driven both, we'd get the 1.3 again. Around town, you don't notice it but if you use it on dual carriageways or motorways, then the 1.3 can keep up with the traffic and run happily at 75-85 all day with the rest of the traffic, just like any bigger car.

The 1.0's OK on the motorway for the occasional trip, but for frequent motorway journeys, the 1.3's in its element. The 1.0 performs perfectly OK, but you know its not in its comfort zone.....

Hi Graham.

Thanks for that,very useful to know the true MPG figures.

Mrs P would use it mainly for work and general driving round with the occasional motorway trip, so i think the 1.33 would suit us better.Talking to one of the salesmen at the local Toyota dealer reckons when they come in they are out just as quick??