Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Please: Smoking T180

sailor50

Hi Judith, Hi friends

All these things were happening to me as well almost since i got the car in 2006.

I feel you 100%.

So is it all sorted now, and what needed doing?

The garage think it was a regen, but are having it in to check and maybe put some particulate cleaner in.

I just want to be able to enjoy my car, and trust it! It's mainly a woman thing I know, but a car has to earn my trust. Yes, you probably think I'm mad, you may be right.

Hi Judith, Hi friends

All these things were happening to me as well almost since i got the car in 2006.

I feel you 100%.

The garage think it was a regen, but are having it in to check and maybe put some particulate cleaner in.

I just want to be able to enjoy my car, and trust it! It's mainly a woman thing I know, but a car has to earn my trust. Yes, you probably think I'm mad, you may be right.

Not mad at all..toyota build their brand on reliability,and thats what you expect to have.

I wouldnt sell up in a knee ***** reaction just yet after what youve spent on it.

Give it a few weeks.

And whats a regen?

Paul, I have no intention of selling it. I did a lot of research to find what the best and most reliable car for me was. I thought I had it sussed, but then it is a second hand car and you're never sure how they've been looked after and/or treated. It's always a bit of a lottery.

Hi Judith, Hi friends

I feel you 100%.

One day about two years ago the alarm came off,took it to Toyota.They said catalitic converter has to be changed.They changed it and since then just a little bit smoke and a little bit of that burning smell.But like i said the computer said to do so.

I think, the catalitic converters on theese cars were problematic to begin with and there was some kind of extended warranty on them.There was a topic in this forum about it if i remember correctly.

Anyway,if the car runs good and the power is there i think you are going to have to live with that occasional white smoke and that burning smell, because like Anchormam said theese things are normal for this RAV4.

The car runs beautifully, the power is there. If this is normal for the RAV4 I can cope with that, but I have never come across this before, so it is not normal in my experience, which is many years!

Hi Judith, Hi friends

I feel you 100%.

Not mad at all..toyota build their brand on reliability,and thats what you expect to have.

I wouldnt sell up in a knee jerk reaction just yet after what youve spent on it.

Give it a few weeks.

And whats a regen?

A regen is a specific area in Wales......

Hi Judith, Hi friends

I feel you 100%.

I wouldnt sell up in a knee ***** reaction just yet after what youve spent on it.

Give it a few weeks.

And whats a regen?

A regen is a specific area in Wales......

Ha..Good one Big un.

Ha ha. Must have missed that Big Kev. Which area of Wales, I'll look for it while we're there over Easter!

Paul: Sorry, missed your 'what's a regen' question. I'd never heard of it before either. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but this is what I believe.

The RAV4 has a 5th injector. When the computer tells it to, this 5th injector sprays neat diesel into the exhaust, usually when at high revs and definitely when hot. The neat diesel is burnt in the exhaust and burns away any black muck (trying to be polite) that has built up.

Maybe my regen was just bad timing, when I had to slow due to queueing traffic on the motorway.

How is the coolant level when cold Judith?

Lets hope your right..and no damage done.
I'm sure Kevs related to Billy Connolly ;~)

The coolant level, indeed all levels are as they should be. I had a compression test done a few weeks ago, that was ok, so not the head gasket if that's what you're thinking.

Lets hope your right..and no damage done.

I'm sure Kevs related to Billy Connolly ;~)

Yes, bit of a joker, but then the world would be pretty boring if there weren't people like him around. It's good to lighten the mood sometimes, eh?

Ha yes.
After all its only a lump of metal..oops, sorry folks :giljotiini:

But a very important lump of metal!!

Why are my smilies not working?

Click 'More reply options' at bottom right of quick reply pane and then check that 'Enable emoticons?' is checked :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I've done that and it's enabled, but still not working. It was working until a couple of days ago, then just disappeared

RAV going in tomorrow at 11 am, collect it Wednesday afternoon. Have to fit it in between my work and when hubby can help with drop-off and collection. Let you know what they say.

Working tonight, so guess I'd better have an hour's kip before I go.

Garage can't find anything wrong, they think it's just oil in the exhaust that will take a while to clear. Let's hope they're right.

Garage can't find anything wrong, they think it's just oil in the exhaust that will take a while to clear. Let's hope they're right.

Hmmm..Cant say I've heard that one..In any case why would there be oil in the exhaust ?

Even if there was some residue, surely it would have cleared after 10-20 mls on the M'way.

Oil in the exhaust ?? Have you had a new one fitted ? Is there a smell ? Often after a new exhaust is fitted a smell of usually burning paint is evident but how would oil find its way into the exhaust system if there were no contributory problems ??

I sense the grasping of straws at your garage.. Sorry... :dontgetit:

Oil in the exhaust ?? Have you had a new one fitted ? Is there a smell ? Often after a new exhaust is fitted a smell of usually burning paint is evident but how would oil find its way into the exhaust system if there were no contributory problems ??

I sense the grasping of straws at your garage.. Sorry... :dontgetit:

Got to agree with Charlie on that, Judith......please prove us totally wrong, but I detect a wee dismissal there.....sorry.

Big Kev

Well, if there's oil in the exhaust it can only be coming from the engine surely?

I'm not convinced either, but don't know enough about it. Apparently, some oil out of the old turbo may be in the exhaust or catalytic converter, and needs to burn off. I need to give it 3 or 4 weeks to clear itself. I am just repeating what I was told!

There were no codes showing, and they could not get it to smoke on a test drive. Apparently the mechanic who has been working on my car ha 15 years Toyota experience.

I did 400 miles over the weekend, at least 90% on motorway or dual carriageway! I also would have thought that would be enough to clear it.

I think I am going round to my local Toyota dealer for a chat tomorrow.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links