Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vsc Abs Warning Lights

pdboulmer

Hi to all just joined this club, have a 2005 plate rav4 XT-R, never had a problem with it in six years of owning the car been a great car.

Until warning lights came on recently VSC/TRC and ABS lights.

Had new pads fitted all around and new front disks fitted as it was needed, front sensors cleaned, rear ones will not come out, multiplug cleaned after found fault on diagnostic reader at garage.

Lights went off for a day or so now, on and off for a few more now on constantly again.

Any idea on how to fix would be appreciated, thanks.

If the light is on it will be storing a code. Get the code then come back to us.

Thanks for the reply, what is the best way to get codes will I need a code reader from eBay?

The garage hooked it up to a diagnostic machine and the fault came back as the ABS module multi-plug which they cleaned greased and refitted, the lights stayed off for a day or so then came on now and again sometimes restarting engine again cleared them but now they are back on full time. Is this multi-plug the one in the engine bay next to brake stuff?

Any help much appreciated.

Just tried the paperclip in terminals cleared codes came back on again.

Checked the number of flashes got VSC/TRAC 4 then 3 flashes, ABS 3 then 1 flash, other lights flashing continuously.

Thanks for the reply, what is the best way to get codes will I need a code reader from ebay?

A code reader is a really handy toy. My eBay special cost about £17.

Bear with me, I will find those codes asap unless somebody else does it first.

I live in tyne & wear and have a code reader, pm me

Thanks for the replies, I am looking at getting a Haynes manual of eBay and possibly a code reader.

If anyone knows what the flashes meant in the meantime I would be interested to know. I still suspect the wheel sensors or connections from them, where are the connectors situated?

It will be the weekend before I get chance to look at the car again.

Thanks again.

Sorry! 43 is a general ABS fault code and 31 is the RH front ABS sensor faulty. That would be a good place to start. There are companies like Andrew Paige sell them if you can't find any dirt or bad connection. Kingo may help.

ABS 31.pdf

Thanks for the replies, I have got a Haynes manual now, going to take out and check RH front sensor again this weekend it has been out twice and cleaned I am wondering whether it might be the connection. Will locate the connection as well and check this.

I hope it is not a rear sensor as niether myself or garage could get them out rusted in place!

Thanks again especially anchorman will let you know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Still got error codes, constant VSC and ABS lit up.

Took out both front sensors at the weekend and checked and cleaned them checked connectors behind liners they are ok. Next step is probabaly try and get out the rear ones which are well rusted in, will have to use lots of WD40 and patience.

Tried wire in pins 4 and 13 again still getting same error codes as previously.

'Checked the number of flashes got VSC/TRAC 4 then 3 flashes, ABS 3 then 1 flash, other lights flashing continuously'.

Also took off multiplug in engine bay and refitted just in case as garage thought it was this.

I note the diagnostic machines from eBay do not work with ABS error codes just engine error codes as i was thinking of gettting one of these.

Has anyone else out there had this problem and solved it. Is there a diagnostis cable or handheld device that could give more accurate finding?

If all else fails will have to take it to dealer and get charged an arm and a leg for fixing this.

Just to update all, the warning lights went off for one journey then back on again, been on full for a few days now.

I am going to leave it for a week and see if it goes off again, bit cold out there to be crawling under car.

Check the socket side of the multi plugs as sometimes they are not a tight fit on the pins.

Keith

ok thanks will give this a go at the weekend. Do you mean multiplug under bonnet next to brake server.

Thanks for the replies.

May have solved the problem, a can of Halfords electrical connector cleaner squirted on multi plug in engine bay; wiped left to dry, re-assembled and no warning lights all weekend.

Fingers crossed it was just connector problem and possibly front sensors which were cleaned previously.

I hope this helps anyone else with same problem.

Phil