Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Manual Transmission Oil Vs Front Differential Oil

brainii

Sorry if this sounds stupid but are this the same thing?

I was about to change the manual transmission oil after 5 years of owning the car, should I change the other one to if they are not the same?

I never had to change stuff like that in my old cars (old civic and old nissan) and sold one with 230k and the other with 180k and they never had any issues with gearbox or engine..

thanks

The Auris's differential is integral to the gearbox and you will need 1.9lt of mono grade 75w API GL-4 specification gear oil.

Devon

Thanks, that's great stuff.

It's the 1.4 manual 2007 Auris petrol model, still 1.9lt only?

(Toyota said most cars need 3 liters), maybe they were trying to sell me an extra liter I don't need?

I have just double checked on Toyota's technical system and yes the 1.4 vvt-i 5 speed manual uses 1.9 litres.

Under normal usage Toyota state to inspect & top up as required every 40,000 miles there is no requirement to replace the oil

Under Severe usage Toyota state to replace every 40,000 miles.

Ok, think ill just change it anyway then to be on the safe side. Oh off topic from oil but do you know how often u should change coolant? Bin told every 3-5 years? Also bin told that Toyota used to use special coolant that had some sort of lube in it? Would I need this sort for my 2.2D?

The bright pink Super long life coolant in your Auris should be changed every 10 years or 100,000 miles, the coolant requirements are as stated by Toyota ": Only use "Toyota Super-Long Life Coolant" or similar high quality ethylene glycol based non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrate and non-borate coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology

(coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology is a combination of low phosphates and organic acids)"

I'm changing as it's been 5 years already (says in the service manual, every 4 years), I have only 39000 KM..

Devon Aygo, how do u get access to the online technical system?

thanks

I work for Toyota so get access passwords, you can access the same system via www.toyota-tech.eu for an hourly charge.

Devon

Thanks for the info.

One more question.

I've been to the mechanic today and changed the gearbox oil for another car. When it drained out, it measured 2 liters.

When the mechanic re filled it, it took about 2.5 liters to fill (I guess some oil was left at the bottom of the oil pump and in the hose he used).

The question is: If I just buy 2 litres for the Auris, will it actually put 1.9 liters inside the gearbox (assuming some will be stuck at the bottom of the pump again), or should I get a third liter?

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

One more question.

I've been to the mechanic today and changed the gearbox oil for another car. When it drained out, it measured 2 liters.

When the mechanic re filled it, it took about 2.5 liters to fill (I guess some oil was left at the bottom of the oil pump and in the hose he used).

The question is: If I just buy 2 litres for the Auris, will it actually put 1.9 liters inside the gearbox (assuming some will be stuck at the bottom of the pump again), or should I get a third liter?

Thanks

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-832-silkolene-pro-srg-75-full-ester-synthetic-ester-racing-gear-oil.aspx

The oil level in a gearbox will drop slightly over time hence the reason Toyota say to check and top up as required every 40,000 miles. Toyota say your Auris gearbox takes 1.9lt so 2 litres should be fine.

Devon

thanks all.

I changed it today, 2 liters, and true indeed, some leaked out in the end.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links