Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 2.0 D-4D Constant Worry!

JerryB

Hi, Avensis 2.0 D-4D - engine replaced under extended warranty. Is my replacement engine (which has now done 10,000 miles) a different design to my original engine?

Is my new engine still prone to the old problems of the 1AD engine and if so is it under a new extended warranty up to 111,000 miles?

Really like the Avensis and it 'goes' very well - fed up with constantly wondering if I'm driving a car with a 'naff' engine that may be likely to cause me problems in the future - or is it a case that the Toyota Forum (which I think is fantastic) is obviously going to mainly contain 'posts' with Toyota problems? Are there thousands of other Toyota's out there who are blissfully oblivious to the problems we hear about on the Forum and will never have any issues?

Realise i'm being a bit neurotic over this - like to hear some members comments

Thanks, Jerry

Jerry stop worrying, :D

enjoy your car but keep a weekly check on your oil and water levels like you should do with any car. Any sign of excessive oil or water useage get it down to Toyota to have it checked out .... I doubt it will ever come to that though ;) .

Pete.

i contacted the toyota dealaship near me b4 i bought mine and spoke to the guy that deals with the warrenties.... he said that there was a design fault with the old engine and the new one was modified so it shouldnt happen again.

coop

Just drive it, it's a great car. If you want to put your mind at rest go and speak to the dealership that fitted the replacement engine and get them to explain what guarantee you have. If they don't/can't put your mind at ease then write to Toyota UK and ask them to clarify the position.

Thanks everyone, appreciate your taking time to reply -

Love the Avensis - drives beautifully - just gonna drive it (normal checks and maintenance of course) and enjoy it.

Thanks again, Jerry

never heard of any major problems with the d4d in relation to engine replacements reqd. but im still learning that their is different variants and would appreciate being filled in or pointed in the right direction to do my own research. i used to work for toyota industrial equipt and the hiaces we ran never gave any probs but think they were the 2.5l 115bhp variant and a great engine regularly doing high 200k miles before we sold them on with no probs.. hope the earlyish 53plate avensis im picking up this week doesnt have a weak engine.? its only done 78k miles and i plan on blanking egr and making sure the manifold is spotless, doing the timing belt and stocking up on correct oil i get at discount from millers oils.

i am also aware of scv problems and will await symptoms but car coming with 1 yrs warranty .

to explain buying a near 10yr old car on finance.. its only over 2 years cause i had to sell everything i had to buy a house and im starting a fresh lol

after reading the faq diesel thread and the tech bulletin included i believe its 1ad and 2ad engines from 2005 onward

am i right thinking that this is the start of the d-cat series

bit of useless info but mazda had a hell of a time with thier early dpf system as it injected pre combustion diesel to raise temps in exhaust to generate the soot burning cycle. problem was the folk who just pottered about town never got to any great engine revs and this fuel never burned in the cylinders. it washed the bores and caused a lot of blow by and actually mixed with the engine oil thinning it ( which aint good for the engine bearings and also the oil pick up strainer conjealed due to the mixing of fuel and oil) and in extreme cases raised the oil level to make the engine run on its own oil and then go bang.

be interesting to see what chain of events if any cause a certain engine variant of toyota to be a bit unreliable

after reading the faq diesel thread and the tech bulletin included i believe its 1ad and 2ad engines from 2005 onward

am i right thinking that this is the start of the d-cat series

not really. whilst the T180s do appear to suffer a higher % of failure imo that's probably due to the other changes to get the higher power. There are plenty of non-DPF (D-CAT) 2.0 & 2.2 D-4Ds that have had to be replaced/rebuilt because of this issue.

Here in France my D4D had a new engine fitted at 38k kms in October last. I was told that the engine was of modified design, the problem would nor reoccur and that it came with a 1 year warranty. This would still leave me with under 60k on the clock, considerably less than the original 100k warranty. Strangely or maybe not I received no paperwork from Toyota to say a new engine has been fitted. Anyone else getting paperwork or is it that they don't want loads of 2nd hand Avensis advertised with "new engine" ?

Hello,

Toyota don't seem to give any paperwork with warranty work unless you insist like I did, they gave me a printout from their computer system and I keep this in my service book.

Pete.

Hello,

Toyota don't seem to give any paperwork with warranty work unless you insist like I did, they gave me a printout from their computer system and I keep this in my service book.

Pete.

Toyota are not alone on this Pete.

A Vauxhall I had from new needed all sorts of warranty work, not niggling little faults, but major stuff too numerous to bore people with! They refused to supply any sort of documentation - maybe too embarrassed for it to be passed on to a new owner or make public?

What they did supply was copies of the order "slips" for the various parts needed which I did keep and pass on!

Hi all

Few months ago I bought Avensis 2.0, 2006, 06 plate, D-4D 1AD,engine ,78K miles on the clock. After I red this thread I started worry about some opinions it is problem engine...What are the main problems I can expect?

Thanks

the main potential worry is the head gasket issue albeit it probably only affects a very small % of cars. Toyota provided an additional warranty for this but your car is possibly out of the age limit (7 years).

Other than that they don't really have any problems that aren't inherent in all modern common rail turbo-diesels & tbh are probably better than most.

Put bluntly, the contract for warranty work is with the dealer and Toyota, so there is no paperwork for the customer, HOWEVER the work done is stored on the Toyota online system so any dealer can see what was done, where and when and at what mileage, your dealer will be happy to supply you with a copy of that paperwork

Kingo

Toyota provided an additional warranty for this but your car is possibly out of the age limit (7 years).

My first registration is on 31/07/06, so 7 years are on 31/07/13. Is it true? How to know?

Is this warranty just for the H.Gasket?

Same here, replacement engine October 2011 at 33K but no paperwork though the following MoT at the dealership showed the new engine number. I'm now on 60K so the engine should be well run in but it's still using about a half pint every 400 - 500 miles. Having had the EGR valve replaced twice with the old engine I'm now taking the precaution of removing and cleaning it every 6K or so. This is probably overcautious but it's a simple enough proceedure and, given the history, I'm thinking I'd be daft not to do it.

Incidentally, I should add that my local dealership at Haverfordwest have been marvellous.