Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Management Light On

enzdal

Hello, I am new to this forum (or any kind of forums). I have a Corolla T3 (53 reg) that has given me 6 years of great trouble free motoring (74000 miles). In January 12 I had a new exhaust fitted at my local Halford Garage. I une 12 the engine management light came on. The garage told me I had a faulty Lambda sensor which they changed. After a few days the light came on again and the garage told me that they had fitted a faulty sensor and replaced it. In September 12 the light came on again and the garage told me that they had fitted a faulty exhaust which they replaced FOC. The light came on again two wees ago' and the garage told me that the sensor was dirty. They cleaned it told me that it would be ok now but that I should only use Shell petrol and also suggested that I get rid of the car (I love my car and would love to keep it a bit longer). Unfortunately the light has come on again. Before I take it back once again to the garage I was wondering if any of you has any advice on what the problem could be and what i should do? I should add that I know nothing about cars, so please give me an "idiot guide" if possible. Many thanks

Enzo

Hi,

First thing to do is establish what the Error Code is that the engine management light has been producing.

Most garages will do this for a small fee or even free if they are in a good mood.

Does this indicate a fault with the Lambda sensor.

You say they have replaced the exhaust, but how much of the pipe - all of it including the Catalytic converter ?

On a car your age it will be very obvious to the eye if the original rusty looking Cat is still there - its the first bulge after the down-pipe, about under the front seats.

You certainly want to get another opinion / quote , start with Mr T, at least you should get a better idea of whats needed even if the price quoted seems silly as can often the case with a Toyota dealer.

With just 74k on the clock the cars only just run in - should be good for another 6 years if you are happy with it.

Hi oldcodger

thanks for this. the Lambda sensor was changed (twice) last July. I was told that the first one they fitted was faulty. Last time a brought the car in for this problem was 11/2/13. The report says: P0420 efficiency bank low threshold clean up sensor and EML light went out. Two weeks later and the light is back on. I haven't had a chance to check the exhaust as it is too dark. Will check tomorrow.

Hi,

From my little experience of the lambda sensors, you do not normally clean them as they are very delicate.

To say one needs cleaning after a few months use must mean either thats not the fault or something else is wrong to cause the sensor to coke up.

As you can see from this site, that error code is not a clear diagnosis of just a faulty lambda sensor.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0420

Assume since Jan 2012 you have had it though a MOT without any emissions test failure ?

Also assume it drives ok with the check light on ? does it eventually go out ?

You can reset the check light, simplest way is to disconnect the Battery for 10 mins, it may put it into learning mode when you start up as tick-over etc may seem strange for a few miles while it re-learns.

The alternative is to buy a cheap OBD tester that allows you to reset it from the OBD plug.

Think you might be best getting a quote from Mr T for a session on their full test machine, think they normally charge it by 1 hour minimum.

However don't be too surprised if they do not find a fault there and then.

Again get a second option before doing any expensive repairs.

In my own experience it has always been sensor related for me...my previous Avensis had god knows how many of them...nightmare...glad my current Corolla only has 1...i hope (lol)...but as already advised by the pro's above...thats you Oldcodger!!!...get a diagnostic check done...even then...an error codes given...which you'll go on to replace the part...and then boom the problem reappears...another diagnostic check reveals a different code...and the story goes on...but hopefully you'll fix it right first time matey...goodluck!

By the way could it be cat related? Hmmm...wouldnt recommend wasting your time and money with the Toyota stealers when you can get how many diagnostics done for their price if you speak to a garage really sweetly...well worked for me with a guy that owned a £5k diagnostic machine...and like they say...buying/using a diagnostic machine is only as good as the person operating it!

Unfortunately I also have the engine light on for nearly a week now.

Went up north, 380miles bothways, after filling up(1/2 tank, normal petrol, usually use premium) on the way back the next day, the light came on soon after I was on the road again.

I thought (hoped) it would go away like last time (in january, after couple of days), again, its lit up on the return journey (220miles total).

My mpg meter show 27-28 (very local milage) and after the last trip up north, its at 30.1.

I am not sure where to start.....

oldcodger

thanks for your advice. I took the car to my local T dealer who run a diagnostic test (only £35). Both the Lambda sensor and the cat are ok. They suspect an ECU failure. Given the cost involved in fixing it (£500) and the age of the car they suggested to leave it alone if the car runs ok and fuel consumption doesn't go up too much. If the car fails the MOT because of the emission then we can decide whether to spend the money to fix it or replace it. Once again thanks for your help.

Hi,

Yes, sounds like its a case of run it until /if it become a real problem.

Worth looking in to, but think if the dashboard engine check light is on it might fail the MOT on that alone ?

Know that the examiners look for that as they say some folk disconnect that bulb when they have a problem.

You could always get another opinion, it might be a faulty connect or wire some where.

Also look into getting a ecu from the scrappers, though before doing that I would unplug and clean all the ecu connectors first, though of course that alone could create more problems than it solves - always a catch on old electronics.

Do the diagnostic your self.. cost cero!

http://www.troublecodes.net/Toyota/

Edit: just saw that you car is 2003 so that "do it your self" dosent cover your model but the codes do

The exhaust should be like this-> hedders- y pipe - exhaust sensor - springbung under the oilpan

then the catalytic converter then what ever you want (exception after what country you live in)

If the catalytic converter is in front of the exhaust sensor then thats the problem..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links