Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Anyone Have A Front Brake Pad Please ?

CharlieFarlie

This may sound ridiculous but I need 1 front brake pad for a 2006 2.2 diesel..

My brakes started giving off death noises this morning and a quick strip reveals the inside front drivers side pad has gone through and is now partially metal to metal...

I cannot source a set of discs and pads in time for when we move house.. This car has to be on the motorway heading south first thing Thursday morning !!

I can just fit a set of pads IF i can get some but they will just be destroyed by the knackered discs anyway..

I emphasise this is just a get me out of the carp thing and I will fit a brand new set of discs and pads before the car is used again once it has made the journey south....

Cheers !

Ive a brand new set in stock Charlie, can get them sent special delivery for tomorrow if it helps, or dics and pads to you for Wednesday

Kingo :thumbsup:

Ive a brand new set in stock Charlie, can get them sent special delivery for tomorrow if it helps, or dics and pads to you for Wednesday

John I've just found a set of pads 10 miles away so I'm off to get them... Would you please PM me the price for a complete set of discs and pads as obviously the ones I'm going to fit will be useless .. Sacrificial I think they call it !

Wednesday is leaving it a bit near the mark mate as we are away Thursday morning .. I don't want to be rushing the job !

Thanks for your help...

In the meantime if anyone has a set of old pads I would greatly appreciate a pair.. NOT ideal I know but its one motorway trip of 400 miles then the car will be parked up and not used till its sorted 100% Promise !!

Got an error message saying you cannot receive any messages Charlie :dontgetit:

PM me when you get a min or giz a ring on 01244 821031

Yes i got the same message when i tried PM-ing Charlie??

Good luck with the move Charlie :thumbsup:

Sorted !!

The local (ish) Toyota dealer who could not supply the parts did in fact have Discs and Pads in stock ...

Sincere thanks to John (Parts King) for the advice and help I would definitely have bought from you if time would have allowed ! Thanks !!

What I found when I pulled the first disc off has shook me and filled me with horror ! The pictures will reveal why....

Please bear in mind that until the unmistakeable noise of metal on metal started this morning that there were NO indications of anything amiss ! The outside pad looked just fine and the car pulled up straight and true with no apparent lack of braking force at all !!

Pictures..

BRAKES013_zps3edad708.jpg

BRAKES017_zps4482cb83.jpg

BRAKES015_zpse849861e.jpg

Car is on axle stands now so if anyone can help with the following torque settings it will be duly appreciated !!

Calliper carrier..

Calliper bolts

And wheel nuts..

I have only the lap top and the manual is on the main house computer which is of course packed...

I realise that sliding callipers can wear one pad quicker than its opposing one but heck that is some difference.. There are no signs of anything sticking and both inside pads are won almost the same....

Its well worth I think taking a look at the inside pads if you own a 2006 onwards Rav.. Problem is that until the calliper is off the carrier its almost impossible to see the inside one !

There was no light on the dash to indicate wear and not tell tales fitted to either side of the pads to give an audible warning !

I've seen a few like that - not just RAVs, they catch the spray on the inside. Typical pitting on the disc surface which is probably on the outside as well. The wear indicators go on the inside at the top. They should have been fitted as new but if they catch the rust they flick off.

72 lb/ft for the carrier

25 lb/ft for the pad retainers

76 lb/ft for the wheel.

Thanks !

Do either the carrier or retainer bolts need loctite ? There was no residue or dust or anything to suggest they were loctited previously...

I amazed at the unevenness of wear.. Is this because the inside pad gets the full force of the piston ? Slide pins look mint

Exactly same as when removed wife's 3 door front discs off, albeit at least we were starting to get pedal feedback that the problem was there. Forgot to photo prior to binning, but really was taken aback.

Big Kev.

Sorry Paul inbox was rammed... I will send you my Email. My number you already have..

Kev.. I was horrified as I have never seen such corrosion to a disc. I was very annoyed at myself for the lack of observation and maintenance by me... Still it ill be back together tomorrow all being well.. May not surprise you to hear I have painted the hub parts and unswept areas of the new discs before assembly ....

You can't see it from the outside. I told BK that his were corroded but he didn't quite grasp how bad until they were off.

New bolts come with a squeeze of loctite on already but it doesn't call for it in the manual - it won' t harm if you prefer.

The outer pad gets exactly the same force as the inside. The carrier is on slide pins so for as much as the piston pushes on the inner pad, the carrier bridge pulls on the outer pad.

Moisture gets trapped on the inner surface (especially when the car is stood) and dries better on the outer side where the air can get at it. The backplate stops direct water but holds moisture. Can't live with it, can't live without it!

Sorry Paul inbox was rammed... I will send you my Email. My number you already have..

Kev.. I was horrified as I have never seen such corrosion to a disc. I was very annoyed at myself for the lack of observation and maintenance by me... Still it ill be back together tomorrow all being well.. May not surprise you to hear I have painted the hub parts and unswept areas of the new discs before assembly ....

Charlie...you are causing me work here.....now need to explain to Auld Gus what the hub parts are.....he probably thinks unswept areas are his carpet mats......

Don was up the weekend we did the wee Rav discs, so I showed him what to do. He had seen many times before.........I shucht myself at the sight of the inside faces of these discs. Another few weeks of wife driving with those discs would have got me another Taylor 12 string guitar........no comment.

Kev by hub perts I meant the hub section or centre part of the disc where the wheel goes up against .. This and the disc edges corrode and look unsightly very quickly as they only have a very thin layer of what looks like blacking of some sort..

It's really easy to paint them before the discs are fitted and means they look better for longer .

Gawd blimey Charlie they look terrible,is this normal on all models :eek:

Gawd blimey Charlie they look terrible,is this normal on all models :eek:

Well from the comments above by Don who is an authority on brakes its not that unusual...

For me never having seen anything even remotely like it it came as quite a shock.....

Brakes are one of the hardest working parts on any car.. Stopping vehicles sometimes heavy creates massive heat and the changes of temperature must be simply emmence ! Add to this we expect and usually get up to say 40K miles out of a set of discs and pads and our expectations are very high...

This set of discs and pads were fitted just before I got the car ( I have extensive detailed history ) and they were fitted using genuine Toyota parts and have done 40.000 miles so I think they have lasted really well given the weight of the vehicle..

I'm a bit of a funny sod when it comes to buying parts for the braking system. I just prefer to buy original genuine Toyota parts.. That said there is absolutely nothing wrong with after-market kit and a Mintex kit can be had for under £60 and a Brembo kit for under £90...

All I can add is that owners may look at this thread and consider an inspection.. My pads from the outside view looked just fine and as you can see in the pic showing the pads Im sure you will agree.. But its just not indicative of the inside ones !

What!, you've done 40,000ml and never looked at the brakes, hope your not following me down any steep hills.

Keith

What!, you've done 40,000ml and never looked at the brakes, hope your not following me down any steep hills.

Keith

HaHa no mate of course they were checked ! In fact the last check was done by a Toyota Dealer as part of a free safety and car inspection that was done for someone who was going to buy the car... This was only 2-3 thousand miles ago but in fairness the car has been stood for long periods of time since.

Previous to that was around 10K miles before when the car was serviced and at that point all brakes were stripped and checked and the rear pads replaced and the fronts seemed fine then..

But hey I've admitted I haven't paid the car enough attention of late but then it just aint been used..

I would never have a car and not carry out proper maintenance ! That is why I said I was horrified ! Embarrassed even ! And also why I posted the pictures so other owners can be aware that what looks perfectly OK from a cursory inspection from the side we can see is not enough..

Anyway the car is all back together and finished now and I took the rears apart to check them just in case ! They were just fine.

That is why I said I was horrified ! Embarrassed even ! And also why I posted the pictures so other owners can be aware that what looks perfectly OK from a cursory inspection from the side we can see is not enough..

When we do the free vehicle safety reports, we often advise customers that if an outer pad is say 2-3 mm thick, then it is quite possible for the inner pad to be nearly worn out. A lot of people think this is being over zealous or looking for work, but you would be amazed at the amount of times this happens, not just on RAV either. To be certain of the inner pad thickness you have to remove the wheels to check, most people doing their own maintanence take a look at the outer pad and unless they have the wheels off for a reason, dont even look at the inner pad. If the outer pad is low, best to remove a wheel, just to be on the safe side

Very good for DIY but not robust enough for a garage environment, we have one that cost a couple of grand :eek:

Brakes anjoy work and so does cast iron. You only have to look at a railway line after a night of dampness and they are red rusty. If a vehicle stands and doesn't keep generating temperature, the discs will soon get very rusty.

Charlie, if you bought Toyota pads, did you notice what was written on them? If they are green with ADVICS written on they are the early ones that are prone to pitting. If they are black with Textar written on they are the later ones. If so they will stay much brighter and wear the disc slightly more as they are abrasive. The Textar are the latest spec fitted to 4.3 and 4.4s.

They are the black ones.. So we're the ones I fitted to the rears and since fitting the discs appear much cleaner which goes along with the extra abrasivness if that makes any sence. ?? I fully accept that leaving a vehicle stood does it no favours ...

:blushing: :blushing: :blushing: So that is what Richard at RRG meant when he said my Discs were Corroded, and the inner pads worn to the metal :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

New Front discs and Pads and rear Pads, being added to Engine Replacement . . . Luckily the Clutch is totally OK and no replacement needed . . .although I still think I should do it anyway

The difference the new clutch made to my car was huge.. This despite the inspection showing is was serviceable.. If you leave it and have problems in say 15 or 20K miles its a 1200 quid job if done at the dealer... For me it was an easy decision at the time....

They are the black ones.. So we're the ones I fitted to the rears and since fitting the discs appear much cleaner which goes along with the extra abrasivness if that makes any sence. ?? I fully accept that leaving a vehicle stood does it no favours ...

Yes, the discs will stay shiney (when the car is used) and in a few days the friction will really climb up. You will feel the brakes much keener.

The beauty of abrasive pads is that they will not sufer from run out as they actually self true the disc.