Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Celica 190 Engine Rattle, Need Help Badly!

Short190

I have a 2002 Celica 190 with 116,000 miles on the clock, as far as I know the chain hasn't been changed.

I used to have a rattle that would only happen at 2500rpm and 3500rpm regardless of what gear I was in. Recently I pulled away from a set of lights, changed into second and put my foot down, and just as lift engaged there was a noise from the engine, caused me to back off the throttle, and now the engine sounds like a tractor. I'm sure something is rattling in the engine, I have had the rocker cover off today and inspected the camshafts and cams and they all seem fine, no snapped bolts, and I also inspected the chain, and there is only a slight bit of slack in the chain, but there is some slack as you try to move the chain from left to right, don't know if this is supposed to be there?

If anyone else has had the same problem or similar problem any help would be much appreciated! I don't want to have to get a new engine for it or get rid of my Celica.

Thanks

Oh dear, that sounds a bit terminal, from the moment you said "changed into second and put my foot down, and just as lift engaged" makes me think something terminal has happened in the bottom end, like a big end/con rod or main. Engaging lift on a engine that already rattles is asking for trouble if you ask me. Has it been an oil burner, has it got oil in it?

Kingo :thumbsup:

You've spun a bearing. Not unheard of and can happen on stock engines, as well as turbo'd/supercharged ones.

Hi, thanks for the replies, it hasn't been an oil burner no and yes there is plenty of oil in the engine. The engine still performs at full power and drives exactly the same just with this horrible noise. I have had a mechanic look at it, he's told me he's sure it's not the bottom end, I'm just really stuck for what could be causing the noise now. Engine does not overheat, does not lose power, just sounds horrendous. Any other ideas of what it could be that I can check will be much appreciated, thanks again.

I'd still put money on a bearing.

Common/known faults

140's -

Radiator failing

Oil burning issue on pre 2003 models

190's -

Radiator failing

Snapping lift bolts on pre 2003 models

Bearings failing

I had this problem on my 140 Celica after it ran out of oil so i sold it and got the 190. apparently the guy who brought the car of me fixed it and said he replaced the crank shaft and bearings. Don't know if its any help. I always thought it was a dropped valve.