Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Verso-S Door Mirror Blind Spots

poolekiteman

I have no major grumbles about the Verso-S, but some minor design gaffes leave me wondering who the heck designed the finishing touches.

Top of the list are the exterior door mirrors - Toyota do not offer any choice in the matter, you get a tinted slightly convex mirror with no "blind spot" section.

Problem is that the degree of convexity is not enough to prevent horrendous and potentially lethal blind spots on each side of the car (no matter how you adjust the mirrors)

Three times now, when driving on motorway, I have been minded to change lane (move right) and only because I turned my head to double check, did I then see a full sized articulated lorry that was completely invisible in the blind spot.

I have even asked a manufacturer of car acessories (who did not have any Verso-S or Prius mirrors in stock) to make a mirror to fit - turned out a waste of time as it was less convex than the Toyota original. I have now fitted huge additional blind-spot mirrors, and now feel a bit safer!

I have designed a simple test to compare convex mirrors, and can pass on details if anybody is interested.

So - the big question to you good folk is this - has anybody else observed a similar problem with killer blind spots on Verso-S door mirrors?

" I have been minded to change lane (move right) and only because I turned my head to double check, did I then see a full sized articulated lorry that was completely invisible in the blind spot."

That's what you are supposed to do rather than just rely on mirrors, cameras etc.!

Peter - it is good to know that I can rely on you for advice - many thanks

I have never relied on a mirror, there are always blind spots, I don't think there has been a mirror made that covers the whole field of view. Being a motorcyclist for many years, it was called the "Lifesaver look" a quick glance over your shoulder to make sure you were not pulling out into the path of something. I still carry out that lifesaver look today whilst driving a car, you can never be sure what us coming up alongside you, it's very often an idiot at full speed who has no thought about anyone elses safety

Kingo :thumbsup:

cheers Kingo - many moons ago, I used to be a biker too! started out with BSA Bantam 125 and ended up with Honda 750 K3?

so I know what you mean by the "Lifesaver Look" but now my joints are stiffening up, I can't look round quite so easily!

I still try to double check, but the narrow field of vision in these mirrors horrified me - was expecting the usual "blind spot section" where they put a warning in tiny writing "objects seen in this mirror may be closer than they appear" - or words to that effect!

at least the new mirror manufacturer had the decency to make me a full refund, including my postage costs!

at present, I am also the proud owner of 2 genuine Toyota original, tinted, slightly convex door mirror glasses - Westover Bournemouth said they could not offer a refund, as I had them for over 20 days (sigh) - but they said they would contact me (as UK stock holder haha) if anybody wanted one for a Verso-S or Prius.

You gotta laugh :flowers: (or else you cry) :crybaby:

I have to agree with Kingo on this.......Door mirrors on most cars do leave a blind spot and should never be totally relied on when lane changing.

The "Lifesaver look" is the safe and only sensible action when lane changing....this really does not need much movement of the neck....and relies on peripheral vision......This can become less efficient as we get older

Perhaps it may be a sensible idea to get an optician to carry out a peripheral vision check.

Have you tried adjusting your offside mirror so that it shows a little more of the road to the right and only just a little of the side of your car.

I have driven my Verso S for nearly two years now, including several motorway miles and have never experienced any problems with blind spots when lane changing and I suspect that in my early sixteys I am possibly around the same age as yourself with stiff joints! :)

Good morning Red!

Yes - I agree with all you say - would just re-iterate that the field of vision in these mirrors appears noticeably less than in all other cars that I have owned in recent years - last car was actually a 53 plate Toyota Yaris!

The problem may be more noticeable because of the apparently thicker door pillars, and (another stupid thing) distracting reflections in the door mirror from the silver dashboard trim around the air vent close by the door (on both sides of the car) - this problem is worse when the sun is in particular positions in the sky, relative to the orientation of the car, and if the roof sunshade is opened at all.

Even the local Toyota main dealer had to agree with me on this, but had no response at all when he contacted his head office.

I plan to experiment with matt black insulating tape on that silver trim - maybe even matt black enamel paint.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links