Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Model Hybrid 'real World' Mpg

Geordie Mick in Wigan

Hi all, i've had a BMW 320D for two years and done 105K in it, the time has come for a new car and I'm seriously thinking about an Auris Excel Hybrid.

The Beamer has been an excellent car but the direct replacement for mine is now touching £35K and even though the emissions are low the combination of list price Vs emissions and ever lowering Co2 banding means I'm at the point where I'm seriously thinking of going cash for car now.

I bought a new Yaris Trend last month for the wife and was amazed at just how good Toyota's are and I had an Avensis T Spirit Tourer before the beamer so I know they are good business cars..

My concern with the Auris is MPG. My beamer wouldn't go below 40mpg and on a run easily do late 40's and at 70mph do 60mpg, for a 184bhp car that's impressive. My car will spend most of it's life on the motorway so will a 1.8 petrol not mean the average mpg will drop considerably from it's claimed 60+?

I've just had a test drive in one and it showed 46mpg as it's average but that may have been on demo's around town. Most of my private mileage is around town so would I correct in thinking most of the time it will be in EV mode?? I'm thinking that my private mileage in the main will be free and the motorway miles will be paid 'pence per mile' miles, if that makes sense!

any advice appreciated.

PS, I'm quite a nippy driver so I won't be doing 56mph in middle lane all day :ermm:

while i couldn't possibly give you an answer for this, i'm keen to know from someone who does. i have often wondered what impact constant high speed driving has on a hybrid and if the average mpg will drop as a result...

Perhaps a look at the Lexus CT200h forum will give you an idea of MPG experienced in different driving conditions. Its been covered a few times. Different car but I believe the same power train. May be of use to you.

From what I've seen, cruising at 60 nets me low 40's. ill check later on the up to the minute fuel consumption on the way home

My Auris HSD is not the new shape, but a 60 reg.

Cruising at 60mph I get a steady 60mpg or there abouts, and my ownership so far since May 2012 has averaged 55mpg overall.

Hope this gives you an idea... To extrapolate this to the new car, see how heavy it is compared to a 2010 Auris T Spirit, that shouldnt be too far off I would think.

• Like 1

70mph cruising would normally net me 55mpg dropping to 52mpg in cold/wet weather.

Where it hurts is acceleration. That's when the engine works inefficiently. The engine runs a modified Atkins cycle that's very efficient but lacks power. You've the electric motor to back that up though but rapid acceleration forces it to run inefficiently. Think dual carriageway roundabouts. Do lots of those and efficiency drops rapidly. Lift off and cruise into roundabouts without braking and then accelerate gently out the other side and you can get into the 60s

• Like 1

70mph cruising would normally net me 55mpg dropping to 52mpg in cold/wet weather.

Where it hurts is acceleration. That's when the engine works inefficiently. The engine runs a modified Atkins cycle that's very efficient but lacks power. You've the electric motor to back that up though but rapid acceleration forces it to run inefficiently. Think dual carriageway roundabouts. Do lots of those and efficiency drops rapidly. Lift off and cruise into roundabouts without braking and then accelerate gently out the other side and you can get into the 60s

I'm hoping to get into the 60's when I get mine. I think I'm quite a careful driver, as I currently exceed the quoted mpg figure you can expect for my Qashqai

• 4 months later...

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/hybrid-driving-technique-toyotas-top-tips-for-achieving-the-best-fuel-economy-in-your-hybrid

Take a look at this blog, there are some good tips on getting the best out of a Toyota Hybrid. Quoting this blog at 70 mph this system operates like a normal petrol engine car and the hybrid system comes into it's own around town. Another interesting question on this blog was someone looking for advice on purchasing a hybrid car that had completed more than 100K miles. They recommended purchasing such a vehicle because... they said...there is no clutch, conventional starter motor or alternator and no timing belt.

Have completed just over 1800 miles on my hybrid and averaging about 67 mpg. However, this is a very quite and smooth drive, with the exception of when I floored the accelerator and the computer selected the optimum engine revs relating to the CVT gearbox...could be a consistent 3000 rpm...which goes when the car has built-up speed. I found that if I am more progressive with the accelerator I get good acceleration without the screaming engine...the sound is not that bad, but when the car is so quite and the revs don't relate to the speed of the car is not a sound you are used too.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links