Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Roof Bars

trevrobwhite

Hi all,

I wanted to ask peoples advice here, I've got a Prius+ 2012 model fitted with roof bars from the manufacturer, I've got the special locking key and T bar but I'm struggling to remove them.

I've unlocked the plastic cover and put the T-bar key in however there is some kind of racket which just clicks when I try unscrewing it. Is there some way to lock this racket so I can unscrew the bars to remove them with not needed.

I'm probably doing something stupid knowing me, I've asked the dealer (which is 200 miles away being a company car) and they weren't sure (and it’s not in the manual), I just thought I'd ask here before going to my local dealer.

Thanks in advance.

I have set of factory roof bars on my gen 2, I think I recall from the instructions (which as usual I can never find when I want to check something) the T bar acts like a torque wrench to avoid overtightening against the roof, but ensuring they are on tight enough. Have you tried using a standard hex key. The clicking you are hearing may be that the screws are to tight for the T bar and you are hearing it clicking. I've always used a long hex key as mine were 2nd hand and didn't come with the T bar but I obviously have to be very careful when tightening to ensure they are on correctly.

Thanks pmf that helped, the problem was when I was undoing them the garage put them on to tight it just needed a bit more elbow grease and to ignore the clicking when undoing it as the washers slip over eachother.

Thanks again.