Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4.3 With Error Codes P0093 & P0106

thestubee

Hi All,

Bought a year 2007 Rav4 XTR 2.2 D4D approximately 4 months ago from a dealer and all has been perfect. A couple of days ago the car suddenly went into limp mode for no explained reason and the dash came up with the engine malfunction, check vsc system & check 4x4 system messages. Switch off and on again and everything fine again for a few minutes until is did it again.

Plugged in my trusty code reader and the P0093 code was stored indicating a large fuel leak. I should point out that I changed the fuel filter myself upon purchase as it was clear it had not been done - everything has been fine since the filter change. Anyway, after a large 'cough' the car appeared to clear itself and so I reset the codes. Took it for a drive (hard) and all is good - problem solved, just a blip I thought.

Next day, the same thing happened, this time also with a P0106 code stored (see attachement) which indicated the MAP sensor may be at fault.

Main query is, where the hell is the MAP sensor? so I can take it out clean it/check voltages etc.

Also, anyone seen this condition before? car is under warranty with dealer but could do without the inconvenience of it going in if I can avoid it. Oh, should add that I took off the EGR valve and cleaned it at the same time as the fuel filter change. Car is run on supermarket fuel but with Millers additive added ...

Thanks for any help!

post-121463-0-73141100-1361992773_thumb.

P0093 Is most likely caused by a faulty suction control valve, there is a technical service bulletin regarding this and a modified valve and ecu software update to fix.

As for P0106 Toyota's diagnostic procedure is to firstly fix any other trouble codes, If the code then repeats first check the fitting & condition of vacuum pipes, if they are good then replace the sensor, Looking at the pics the sensor is on a single bolted bracket fitted at the front of the engine to the right of and below the EGR valve but above the throttle body.

Devon

Thanks guys, is there a set of pictures somewhere for easy identification of the suction control valve and map sensors so i'm definately looking at the right things?

Interesting about the TSB, can this be viewed anywhere?

I'll check the pipework tomorrow for splits etc meantime.

I've never heard of an SCV giving trouble on a 4.3. It is fitten inside the high pressure fuel pump.

I'll find you some pictures when I get chance but I'm working funny hours for the next few days so remind me if it isn't done by Sunday.

This happened to my 2008 Rav4, it was blowing out black smoke, low on power and it had the check vsc system & check 4x4 system messages. Im not high up on car mechanics but i think you have the same problem i had (the efg valve is dirty). The guys at Toyota removed and cleaned the valve and this fixed the problem for a week or so. They then replaced it and everything had been great since. Hope this helps..

Aodh

This happened to my 2008 Rav4, it was blowing out black smoke, low on power and it had the check vsc system & check 4x4 system messages. Im not high up on car mechanics but i think you have the same problem i had (the efg valve is dirty). The guys at Toyota removed and cleaned the valve and this fixed the problem for a week or so. They then replaced it and everything had been great since. Hope this helps..

Aodh

EGR valve?

Welcome to the club!

Thanks for the continued advice ...

I've taken off all the vacuum pipework this morning and checked, all ok and free flowing with no splits leaks etc. The pipes I'm talking about are at the rear of the engine and are all connected to some type of manifold/sensor - one of the tubes goes to the turbo actuator... I've also located the sensor on the front on the engine but the part code shows it to be the turbo vacuum sensor? (was hoping it to be the MAP) - anyway removed, cleaned and reinstalled along with associated pipework.

Also removed and emptied/reinstalled the fuel filter as I had read somewhere about water in fuel??? - anyway, emptied into a bucket and some crud came out as expected but no sign of water that I could see.

Finally, removed/cleaned the EGR again, quite sooty but nothing major and reinstalled. Yet to take the car for a drive but she starts and rev's up OK (after 2 mins priming the fuel pump again!!!) so will report back as soon as I get the chance.

Yet to find that damn MAP sensor though ...

Stu

Egr stands for "exhaust gas regeneration" they get dirty quicker if your driving with low revs, so said the Toyota dealer...

P0093 is the detection of a large fuel leak and is not related to EGR faults the reason you get lack of power is the car going into "limp" to protect the engine. The light has come on because the pressure sensor on the diesel common rail has detected a sudden drop in actual rail pressure in comparison the the targeted rail pressure ( what the engine ECU is expecting ) this is caused by either an external fuel leak, a faulty diesel injector leaking fuell into cylinder bore ( car would running very lumpy and be rattling like mad ) or which is most likely and is subject to a Toyota technical service bulletin the Suction control valve is faulty/failing and is not responding to the ECU's input at all or fast enough causing a low pressure on the common rail when the car expects/demands a higher pressure.

Looking at the read out you have posted P0093 is the current fault and the other codes have occurred but are no longer present so they are stored in the memory's history. P0093 needs to be fixed first then the ECU's memory cleared.

The fault is a simple one to confirm & repair, your local dealer needs to read the diagnostic information and compare the target & actual common rail pressures when the fault code was set ( they should be almost identical ) if there is any significant difference then they need to reprogramme your engine ECU with new software then fit a modified SCV valve.

Devon

Hi Guys,

Only new to this and i dont have the Rav that long but all the info is great. I was just wondering what is the best way to read the codes, do i get a code reader or is there software i can get and plug this into my laptop?

Apologies if this had been covered before...

Hugh

Either will work. You can get readers for about £25 these days but more sophisticated ones will cost more.

You can get codes for nothing by reading thee flash codes.

Hi Guys,

Done quite a bit of further research on this and fingers crossed, since the last code reset she have behaved perfectly again with no lights. One thing I would like to do still is locate the MAP for future reference - any chance of those pics please??

Also, I seen that a lot of these codes thrown up are as a result of a dirty throttle body, easy to clean but has anyone done this before on their Rav 4.3, any instructions anywhere or shall I create some? Looking at the live data from mine the throttle position at idle is a massive 31.8% (idle 1000rpm) & manifole pressure at 80Kpa. Do these readings seem normal to you guys? Previous cars (Ford) I've have had the TP has been around 7% !

Cheers,

Stu

• 2 years later...

Old thread but I'll still contribute to help future readers out! Had almost the same issues myself; same fault codes, same symptoms although I had tons white smoke and the inability to rev above idle when it did present itself . replaced scvs and no luck so unplugged injectors one by one (turning the engine off inbetween) and when it came to injector number 2, the fault codes had gone (of course one came up to say the injectors werent connected and the car revved to redline and all white smoke had gone! Fitted an injector purchased s/h from fleabay-in under an hour and a half- for £55 versus £250 for a new one and its now running more responsive than it was new! Definitely worth a try if you have these codes, especially the two together

• 2 years later...

I have just had this P0093 error code- took it to the Toyota dealer- they replaced the suction control valve £230 still going into safe mode at no regular time but at low speed accelerating at about 40 mph- I did some reading and told the dealer to replace the 4 injectors - they have job getting them out and they were heavily cardoned up an 2 had no copper washer left intact at the bottom- an oil flush- new oil and injections replaced- 3 weeks and going like a train- no error code- I do not know what the issue was but that has fixed this very annoying error on the 2006 rave 4 D4D T180 - happy man 🤪

• 1 month later...

Hi Karaboo, think I might have the same problem, I have a 2006 t180 Rav as well,  mine goes in to limp mode at low speed accelerating too, usually only does in the morning when cold though and engine usually fine for the rest of the day. Main dealer replaced the suction control valves yesterday but at a cost of £450! drove off the forecourt and first roundabout I got to went in to the dreaded limp mode so drove round and straight back! They are going to look at today, I just wondered how much your dealer charged for replacing all the injectors? My dealer has given a figure of around £1500 if they all need doing 😩

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2013 at 10:31 PM, Aodh said:

Hi Guys,

Only new to this and i dont have the Rav that long but all the info is great. I was just wondering what is the best way to read the codes, do i get a code reader or is there software i can get and plug this into my laptop?

Apologies if this had been covered before...

Hugh

Hi Hugh.

Just go on Amazon or similar for the OBD code readers,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=obd+code+reader&sprefix=obd+code+readers%2Caps%2C174&crid=3RIYQWM3V8ULP

for example.

Don't spend a fortune on one, you don't need to.

Mike.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys I have a rav4 t180 2006 

The car was having trouble starting would go a short journey and then into limp mode and then turn it self off I’ll give it a couple of minutes it would fire eventually, but then fell start again. called the AA out he could not work out what the problem was the car carried on working as normal so I managed to drive it home I could not take it to the mechanics as it was a Sunday. Been trying to turn her over for the last  last two days shes unable to  start.

I have the same error code ESC failure system maintenance as stated above and the AA had picked up this fuel leakage I would like to add I have the fuel filler pipe changed just over a week ago as it was all corroded. 

Any help on What could it be?