Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poorly 'rolla, Please Help

anagantios

Hi everyone

my poor little 'rolla is poorly... Trying to figure out what is causing my idle speed to plummet to 0. Starts up fine, drives fine, the minute i get to a junction and fully stop the idle speed plummets from 1100 to 0 causing the car to cut out. First i thought it was fuel starvation/crap from a dodgy petrol station, had it all flushed out and put fresh fuel from a decent place in, that was last week. Today i started him up, warmed up went to go and had a misfire and the car coughed and died. Turned the key again it almost caught ignition but coughed again and died. Gave it a few minutes and 2 turns later he finally fired up and drove fine until i got to junctions where i kept the revs up to avoid the car suddenly dying. My dad thinks it may be the lamda sensor, i've had a looksie on here and a similar problem makes me think it's the idle control valve... Does anyone have any other idea what it could possibly be? Has to be fixed asap, need my car for work and uni can't have any time off at either place.

Does the engine just cut out or does it give some warning (e.g. starts getting rough and unsteady/uneven before cutting out)?

Was the fuel filter changed/checked?

Hey, currently under the bonnet, may have found the culprit. Air filter sensor had wiggled free and the pipes connecting the filterbox to the engine were loose. Hopefully it's just this and nothing else

We've also discovered that I have a small fault with the throttle sensor but it's intermittent and should hold til I can afford to fix it properly

Was about to mention the air filter sensor...but hey you beat me to it...lol...reason why it first came to mind is that is exactly how an engine behaves when you remove the air pipe coming from the air box...which i rarely do on the odd occassion when i decide to spray some Wynns injector cleaner into her...all that revving to maintain the revs so she craps out all the bad stuff in pumes of fumes...lol!

Takecare mate!

Glad you got it sorted :)

And Thank You for posting back with your solution! :thumbsup:

Was about to mention the air filter sensor...but hey you beat me to it...lol...reason why it first came to mind is that is exactly how an engine behaves when you remove the air pipe coming from the air box...which i rarely do on the odd occassion when i decide to spray some Wynns injector cleaner into her...all that revving to maintain the revs so she craps out all the bad stuff in pumes of fumes...lol!

Takecare mate!

It's amazing how much hassle one missing sensor and a loose pipe can cause, it's all been sorted took him for a lovely blast down the A38 and he's pulling better than ever through all gears. it's also sorted his high idle speed he's now comfortably sitting at 700/800 rpm :)

Glad you got it sorted :)

And Thank You for posting back with your solution! :thumbsup:

I'm glad it's sorted, i just need to buy a new air filter tomorrow and my little 'rolla will be perfectly fine again :)

• 3 weeks later...

Poorly 'Rolla again :(

its the lambda sensor and o2 sensor that are the suspects... I was driving down a dual carriageway, changed gear when the car suddenly cut out. Lost all brakes and steering, thank god it was near a layby. Through sheer force of will managed to get into the layby had to force car to stop with handbrake. Lovely lorry driver asked me if he could help in any way, couldn't do anything at road side didn't have any tools. Got the car started back up after a few turns of the key. Have hit a snag with the diagnostics though... Appears the reader my dad has isn't compatible because my 'Rolla is on the old OBD system... anyone know how to do a diagnostics without the OBD reader?