Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iq Clutch Life 1.0 Yr 2010 Manual

bobkneale

Hi, Wondered if anyone can answer this one for me ? I have reciently purchased my second hand IQ as approved Toyota it has a 12 month Approved Toyota Warrenty. I have read in various posts on this forum that early (2009) IQ's can suffer from clutch failure after about 3 years, the later 2010 onwards models had larger clutch fitted ? How can I find out if my IQ is potentialy at risk to clutch failure ? It is a 2010 year however may have been produced earlier. It has covered about 35,000 miles and I wish to know before my Toyota warrenty expires in about 11 months time. The clutch is fine at the moment. Can anyone assist me to answer this question ? post-129306-0-18280500-1362048516_thumb.post-129306-0-85860100-1362048540_thumb. Many Thanks !

Hello Bob,

I never heard there was a problem with the clutch.

The only thing is the position of the EGR valve what was a big issue in the 2009 models.

You can find posts in this forum about it.

But clutch? No.

I was member of a Dutch forum from 2009 and on this forum no one mentioned this problem.

On the German forum the same.

My IQ is from 2009 and it has 70000km on the clock.

No problem at all. But the EGR valve is modified.

Where did you read this?

Regards,

Peter,

The Netherlands

I don't think it is an issue.

My IQ is now 4 years old and I had no problems with the car.Only the EGR valve position was modified.

If you look for example on the Volkswagen Up forum there are big problems with clutches gearboxes and steering problems.

But the Iq is very good.

Re Potential IQ Cluch Failure:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/iq-2008/

Quote from above Link:

16-3-2012: 1.0 manual has same

engine

icon1.png

clutch and transmission as Aygo, 107 and C1, so suffers the same clutch problems and will probably need a new one after 3 years.

All comments welcomed ?

Various comments on this website re Toyota Aygo clutch failures:

http://www.roadtestreports.co.uk/road-test-reports/Toyota/Aygo/

If IQ has same clutch as Aygo ? can we expect similar problems after a few years ?

All Comments Welcomed !

I think somebody is getting their cars mixed up-typical internet twaddle :lol:

Aygo and YARIS share a clutch, they put the larger Yaris clutch into the Aygo which was weak in early models

I'm not aware of iQ having a weak clutch

Kingo :thumbsup:

I think somebody is getting their cars mixed up-typical internet twaddle :lol:

Aygo and YARIS share a clutch, they put the larger Yaris clutch into the Aygo which was weak in early models

I'm not aware of iQ having a weak clutch

Hi Kingo, it might be internet twaddle, i will be happy to find out it is. Positive Regards Bob

Included within the Honest John comment is: "IQ 1.0 manuals fitted with bigger 190mm clutch from January 2009."

As far as I'm aware, UK sales of the IQ began in January 2009 - so would all UK IQ's have the larger clutch??

The iQ has a different part number to the Aygo and Yaris, so without looking at one, I cant tell you if it is bigger than an Aygo clutch

I say "internet twaddle" because the net is full of incorrect information, particularly when it comes to parts supply. The problem being one fix in 2008 is probably redundant by 2013, as is the case with the RAV4 gearbox parts. The net is full of people saying you only need one part to fix a 5th gear issue but over the years, parts have been changed and superceeded, so you might have got away with one part in 2008 but by 2013, you need 5 or 6 parts to fix it, sorry to use a RAV as an example but it does explain how things get taken for gosple, a bit like chinese wispers

I can recall that I commented on here last year that whilst i was on the forecourt of my dealer whilst acquiring spares, the service manager came up to me and asked about my clutch. I reminded him that i had a Multidrive and he said word was around the dealerships of a clutch problem with people having trouble getting in to certain gears.He was just warning me to get it repaired under warranty before it was too late. Don't know any more, don't know models or year's involved

David

There are no reported issues or technical service bulletins regarding clutch issues on IQ.

The Aygo & IQ do not share the same transmission or Clutch assembly, there are several major differences such as positioning of differential, in front of transmission on IQ and behind on Aygo, cable operated clutch on Aygo & hydraulic on IQ.

I have also checked the part numbers and the clutch has not been changed since the model was introduced.

Devon

Perhaps the "potential" clutch issue on early IQ's is not an issue ? after reading the above posts, I am now a little reassured, if anyone can shed more light on it, I will be happy to hear about it.

Of course it would be best for everyone if Early IQ clutches are designed and destined to last a long, long time !

I can also honestly say that this is a "great forum", where you can find out about many issues that Toyota might not mention !

Positive Regards to those members who have taken their time to research this issue.

Bob.

I haven't heard of anyone yet on this forum needing a clutch replacement? I know we are probably a small bunch as most iQ owners aren't members of this forum but I'm sure we would have heard about problems if there were potential issues.

The only issue I still have is occasional clutch judder when cold but it's so infrequent and unpredictable it's hard to do anything about it, Annoying when it happens though.

My car is an iQ 3 with the 6 speed transmission and is now just over 3 years old so out of warranty. If it gets really bad one day I'll take the gearbox of myself and have a look in there.

Craig.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps Honest John review has got it wrong !

Quote:

1.0 manual has same engine clutch and transmission as Aygo, 107 and C1, so suffers the same clutch problems and will probably need a new one after 3 years.

Website address:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/iq-2008/

Regards, Bob.

The Honest John site isn't infallible. Recently in the Auris review the following comment was posted: "Vital to check the oil level regularly with the dipstick. The Auris does NOT have any warning bleeps/lights indicating low level of oil, and in one reader's case the low oil pressure warning system did not work either."

In February I e-mailed the site to correct this information (with info taken from the owners manual) because, depending on the model, there are warning systems about low oil and low oil pressure, and the review has yet to be updated.

The transmission may be a similar design as the Aygo, 107 and the C1 but I seriously doubt they are exactly the same.

The Aygo, 107 and C1 are made in the Czech republic whereas all iQ's are built in Japan. I can't imagine they build transmissions, clutches, flywheels Etc in Japan then ship them all the way to the Czech republic for assembly, Surely the Aygo items are locally made and therefore keeping costs down. I guess that's the reason the bigger Aygo is cheaper than the iQ, less shipping costs (Coupled with a lower specification and cheaper materials)

Similar design perhaps but probably not the same moulds, materials, quality, used?

Craig.

This is also true of the Aygo water pumps which had seals that leaked quite early in their life and needed to have the pumps replaced, whereas Yaris 1.0l engines, not assembled in the Czech factory did not have this problem.

The Aygo clutch failed due to manufacturing faults rather than wear I believe, so both these troubles that afflicted the Aygo were due to local part supply quality rather than Toyota design errors, so should not affect the IQ. Hopefully!

John

You are a very knowable group of people regarding this type of info on a wide range of subjects !

I guess the "acid test" for me is always:

1) How many clutch failures / replacements have there actually been across all manual IQ models ?

2) When did they occur IE at what distance covered ?

3) Were these failures / replacements (if any) from the same model year / or manufacturing batch etc ?

4) What was the "true root cause" of failures / replacements (if any) ?

I have now stopped personally concerning myself at all regarding this issue quite a while ago. I just now would like to "close the loop" so to speak regarding the issue and also try to get the Honest John review corrected with the correct facts if possible.

This can then potentialy improve the reputation of the IQ. If statements made are unfounded they should be corrected.

Many people believe everything they read on the internet without too much question, I guess that using a name like "Honest John" gives his review's more credibility to some people, and also perhaps himself ?

Positive Regards, Bob.

• Like 1

Re my above comment regarding "Closing The Loop" on the "potential" Clutch Life Issue.

It falls into line alongside the Toyota Lean Manufacturing Principles, Principle No 4 is "Quality at Source" that states:

"To eliminate product defects, they must be discovered and corrected as soon as possible. Since workers are at the best position to discover a defect and to immediately fix it, they are assigned this responsibility. If a defect cannot be readily fixed, any worker can halt the entire line by pulling a cord (called Jidoka)"

If there is "No Fault" and the quality regarding IQ clutch life standards are already in line with set "Conformance To Requirements" and as one of the "Seven Wastes" of Manufacturing is the journey towards "Zero Defect" then the record if need be should be and must be set straight.

Regards, Bob.

• Like 1

Hai Bob,

Had a lot of similar problems.. not with the car though, but with the management / sales-managers from Toyota.

I once also had bought a FirstClass Previa.. and noticed later that the tires where worn out. Went back (after I had allready bought it) and they said that is met the right thickness... but after some months they were under the legal thickness. So I did not get new tires.

Should have better looked in this case...

Also a lot of fuss (when my wife and I bought a Verso and my new iQ) about a voucher that gave me reduction on accessories when I persuaded an other person to buy a car.

Turned out that they did not keep there promise... and even due to letters to the sales-manager and the Toyota import themselves did not make any positive movement.

We left this dealer where we bought this 2010 brand new iQ.

Changed to an other address...

Got somewhat better.

I have an iQ from April 2010... but still has the old Exhaust Recirculation Valve. But no problems ... Never ever has this item been mentioned or confirmed by the dealer...

My opinion about Toyota in Holland is, that they do what they should do - nó more... The dealer can be nicer in service.

Before we had the Toyota's we where a fan of Mitsubishi... but there the dealer was horrible... only the frontoffice was nice, the main salesman was horrible in personal communication.

So we left Mitsubishi.

The cars are very trustworthy though... :-)

Hoi Neelix,

Da's een tijd geleden.

Weet je van het iQ forum op FaceBook? Barry Hendriksen heeft dit gestart.

Vele en vele groeten,

Peter

PS Zit net weer op dit forum doordat iemand mij er weer op attendeerde... Computer is stuk geweest...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links