Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Installing An Aftermarket On Board Computer

Lyons

Folks, I've recently replaced the standard stereo in my Rav4 with a Pioneer job, thus losing the on board computer element. However up installation, I noticed there were a couple of plugs which weren't used by the new stereo.

Has anyone ever heard of fitting an aftermarket computer of some description that will plug into the wiring and retain the trip, consumption etc figures?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the club. Have a search as I think it has been covered before. Google scanguage , is that the sort of thing? It uses the OBDII socket.

Thanks for that. I like the look of scangauge. I hadn't thought about going down the OBD port route. Where is it located in the Rav4?

Ideally my original idea would do away with a trailing wire from the display to port though. It was just when I saw the unused connectors I thought it would be good to be able to use them.

Look under the dash to the left of the bonnet pull. The petrol model has a socket but don't know when the diesel got it if yours is one of them.

I thnk the diesel EOBD port only arrived in 2005 so could be out of luck.

Scan gauge is very good (got one on my RAV) but there is another good option and that is a wireless EODB reader that communicates via bluetooth to a mobile phone and using the free - or very cheap if more options wanted - app, you can get lots of real time info on your Android phone. Very snazzy and a solution for under 30 quid (assuming you have phone already and a EODB port of course!)

Ultra Gauge looks even better! Cheaper too!

How does an EOBD differ from a normal 1 and how do I tell if I have 1?!

Just means European, and yes you have one.

Keith

Excellent.

Do you have the bluetooth method installed yourself Hoovie? Or do you know of any systems that are worth a look?

I just fitted a Pioneer AppRadio so it would be handy if I could get a compatible app that displays the info on the screen of the stereo.

I bought a Chinese bluetooth gadget like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-BLUETOOTH-327-OBDII-ODB-2-OBD2-Auto-Scanner-Scantool-Diagnose-car-interface-/370674164276

and installed the free version of Torque on my phone:

http://torque-bhp.com/

It works fine for diagnostics, and with the phone's GPS can log speed and location, but there are several stats (e.g. fuel flow) which it's not getting from the car. I haven't really investigated in detail. The "Pro" version of the software is only three quid, and provides lower-level access to the OBD data. I'm a software-type person, so I might investigate that. If I ever get round to it.

Excellent.

Do you have the Bluetooth method installed yourself Hoovie? Or do you know of any systems that are worth a look?

I just fitted a Pioneer AppRadio so it would be handy if I could get a compatible app that displays the info on the screen of the stereo.

I have the scanguage permenantly fitted. I also have the bluetooth EODB reader and it did work well, although it is not fitted currently.

You are right saying Torque is android only, however .... You can pick up an android device so cheaply now, that is not really much of a barrier IMO compared to the cost of of a dedicated device (and it would give you a little bonus of having a spare PAYG emergency phone always in the car)