Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'98 Corolla Occasional Poor Starts

GavinD

Hello everyone,

I have a '98 Toyota Corolla, 1.3 petrol, and have very few problems, but for a few days it's started to take a few seconds of turning over for the engine to start, but this is only in the evening after work, starts fine even on the coldest mornings. I tend to spend my lunch break in my car with the radio on but never had a problem before - could this be a sign I need a new Battery?

Thanks,

Gav.

Hi Gav.

When sitting in a car with the ignition on and playing the stereo, the Battery will drain (especially if it's an hour long lunch).

I would check the voltage of the Battery. With assistance, place a multimeter set to 20v DC accross the Battery terminals (red to live - black to negative). Then, get the other person to crank the engine over. The voltage when cranking will drop to a little below 12v. It it drops below 11v, the battery has a cell going down.

How far do you drive to / from work?

It used to be said that after starting, it takes up to 5 miles for the car to recover the charge.

Also, bear in mind that batteries don't like the very cold weather. Winter is a good time for batteries to show that they're getting tired.

Hope this helps.

S2

Thanks for the reply.

My commute is usually 30-35 mins, and my lunch break about the same... as I say, until about a week ago I'd never had this problem :/

I dont have a multimeter, I will have to pick one up to do the test.

Thanks again.

Hi Gav.

Forgot to mention the electrolyte level. Check to make sure the level is above the plates in the cells.

Another test you could try is not having the ignition on during your lunch break and seeing if the car starts normally after work.

Cheers

S2